Increasing milk supply to boost freezer stash?

Pielette

Mum to little men
Reaction score
I can only typically pump about 2-3oz at a time, and my LO now takes at least 5oz in a feed. I'm going to be away from my boys for about 24 hours at the end of March for my best friend's wedding so need enough milk in the freezer for him.

The trouble is it means I need to pump like crazy, once in the morning and once in the evening almost every day in the run up to the wedding as I'm limited with the results. I'm wondering if anyone has managed to increase their milk supply simply to get more out of pumping? If I could get 4-5oz at a time it would be so much easier! I just find it difficult to find the time with the two boys.

Any advice appreciated. I will manage it I know, I'm just wondering if there's any way to make it easier.

Its a pain but to increase your supply pump after feedings to make sure that your breast is completely empty then after that last drop keep pumping for an additional 5 mins. This will signal to the body that there is still a hungry baby so you will make more milk.

Also during hours 1-5am is when you will get the most from a pump. So try and get at least one pump session in then. Also make sure when you pump you are pumping for at least 15mins on both sides. Using an electric double pump would most likely give you the best result.

If it's just going to be a few times to build a little stash and Milo is a good nurser, you could pump before a feed every couple of days-- you'll get a higher volume out before a feed and your breasts are never really empty and will respond better to baby once the "easy" milk is gone than they will to a pump (I assume you've been pumping after/between feeds), so Milo will still be able to nurse until he's satisfied, he just might have to work a little harder.
Do you always offer both breasts at a feed? If you're uncomfortable pumping before a feed, you could feed on one side and pump on the other. The baby nursing will help stimulate letdown easier and most people will get a higher volume from whichever breast is being pumped if they have the baby on the other side. Pumping from the other side will also help baby remove more milk from the breast they're on, so even if you usually feed from both sides, he won't have to work too much harder using this method.
If you're going to pump at the wedding and it's in a nearby town, whoever is watching Milo could always come by and pick up the milk you pumped while at the event if they end up really needing it. You'll probably end up pumping a pretty high volume while you're away and not nursing.
Am I correct in reading that you're trying to get 4-6 ounces per day for the next month in order to have enough? That would be quite a lot of milk. You really shouldn't need more than 35 oz even if he takes a volume on the high end of average. General rule of thumb is 1oz per hour plus a few more oz 'just in case'.

Thanks for your ideas ladies!

MommyJogger, Milo is a good nurser actually and whenever he's woken unexpectedly just after I've pumped he's still been able to get milk out, so maybe I will give that a go. I am pumping after feeds, once after the morning feed and once after the bedtime feed.

He typically has about 4/5 feeds per day, and then between 1 and 3 overnight. I guess I was therefore thinking that I need to provide for 8 feeds to be safe, so 40oz. But I suppose I don't know what he actually takes overnight and it could be less. But I'd feel nervous of leaving without having 40oz in the freezer.

That's a good idea about bringing him to the wedding to pick milk up. I'll need to pump throughout the day and it seems an awful shame to waste all that milk as well!

Thanks mimzy, I pump after two feeds at the moment but unfortunately as I have a toddler as well I can't really manage to pump after the others. But I do keep going even when I'm not getting any out because sometimes after 5 minutes or so I get some more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->