Increasing supply but it's going down!

Laurenmomma

Reaction score
Iv been trying to increase supply since it dropped with all the thrush mastitis cracked nipple problems we have had due to ds tongue tie

I started taking fenugreek on Thursday 2 tablets 3x a day and increased to 3 tablets 3 times a day yesterday, also been drinkin loads of water and lucozade and eating porridge but my supply seems to be worse!

I can feel let down a bit and go to feed him but he seems to empty within 2 minutes each boob so when I hand express nothing's coming out! I think he's either just had his growth spurt or he's having it now but I'm having to supplement him for the first time!

He has gained 2lb in a month which is amazing as he has been dropping down centiles but I was hoping to breastfeed until 6 months but don't feel like I have enough for even 1 feed!

He could just be so efficient at feeding that he is done after 2 minutes? Does he seem satisfied?

He doesn't cry in between?! He will get frustrated at the boob and pulls and pushes away but then he will go back on and carryover n feedin?

Surely 2 minutes isn't enough tho? He does feed every 2-3 hours thru the day and a few times thru the night too?

My supply dropped a few weeks ago. I started eating more calories and drinking tons of water. It took a few days but it eventually came back. I also fed him every 30 to 60 minutes for a couple of days.

You could be due your period?

Expressing is rarely as effective as baby feeding: some women can't express at all xx

The same is happening to me :( I've started supplementing which has made things worse. I put her onp the boob and she'll pull and cry and latches on and cries again. I'll be stalking for tips as I hope yo make it to at least 6 months too.

After six weeks my lo started draining a boob in five minutes or less. It was a really sudden change, too, and I freaked out. Often she'd only take the one boob, too. How are the nappies? If your lo is gaining weight and has enough wet and dirty nappies then your supply is probably fine. My lo dropped centiles but levelled out. As long as you feed on demand and your lo seems satisfied and has good diapers, try to not watch the clock. Some babies get really good at sucking. Time is really not a good indicator of supply.

My LO in 5 mins can drain 4-5 oz ( wieghed him before and after feed in clinic)

But just keep nursing . Don't supplement . The breast is never truly empty and the more baby eats from you the more you'll make .

Have you tried wieghing him before and after a feed ?

i have the same issue and LO is now barely gaining any weight, he's stuck at 15 pounds mark since three months, gaining 6 ounces in two weeks which is really strange since up until the he was gaining 3-4 pounds per months. Does your LO have reflux?

After a period of time it is normal for many women to not feel a let down, not be engorged, to have soft boobs - these things are not necessarily indictors of a supply issue. It is also normal for bf babies to have a lull in their weight gain and then suddenly gain loads (a reason why frequent weigh ins and growth charts are not great for bf babes). If baby is happy, content, producing plenty of wet nappies then I really wouldn't worry. My little one is often satisfied after just a couple mins. That said, it is important to drink lots, typically a glass per feed does the job.

i have the same issue and LO is now barely gaining any weight, he's stuck at 15 pounds mark since three months, gaining 6 ounces in two weeks which is really strange since up until the he was gaining 3-4 pounds per months. Does your LO have reflux?

He does yes although the past couple of weeks he's been a lot better and not needed his gaviscon!

Hun let me tell you my theory the one that my doctor has confirmed. With reflux my DS at some point switched to eating less, just like yours. He is eating at all hours of day and night (especially night) but it seems to be exactly for 3-4 minutes. Unforgivably I waited too long to get him on meds and just started three days ago. Unfortunately since it's been hurting him he ate less and less and regardless of what i tried to do with my supply, it's still going down simply because he is eating less. Now that I put him on reflux meds (Prevacid) he is getting back to eating normally and gets upset when I just don't have it - pulling on and off breast all the time. Fenungreek doesn't help anymore, I pump after each feed too, there is just not enough for him - I just gave him a bottle with formula and he downed all 4 oz and was asking for more. I just ordered domperidone in hopes that I can continue to at least six months. I also have issues with my thyroid which is possibly affecting my supply but that's a whole other story.

So my advice given that he does have reflux have him weighted and see if he is actually gaining and there is no sudden drop. I would put him back on meds if you see a drop in his weight. Offer him pumped milk or formula to see if he is eager to take it. I haven't tried domperidone yet so hopefully I'd get my supply back up and running again next week, will update if it works xx
Keep pumping, we'll make it :)

Well I had his weighed and he's shot back up to where he should be! Iv been givin him 1 bottle of formula and day and that seems to do him! Although we have thrush back again! It's never ending!

2 minutes could be enough. I'd stop the fenugreek if it's not helping. That can lower supply.

Alma has been going through the exact same on, off, on etc routine and I just keep offering to feed her, I read a blog post a while ago that said those short feeds help to boost supply even though you think they are not getting enough and a bf baby will often down a big bottle because it is so much easier for them to drink from a bottle than breast.

I will often feel like Alma is not getting anything and she will get frustrated that the flow has slowed but I keep persevering and then bam another let down.

You are doing everything right (you could try more skin to skin, still works at this age to boost supply) xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->