Induction without epidural?

Discussion in 'Labour & Birth' started by dolly5x3, Apr 6, 2019.

1. dolly5x3

dolly5x3 Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever been induced and went without an epidural? I have an induction scheduled on Wednesday if baby doesn’t come before on her own. I really want to do it without an epidural this time but I have heard and read that contractions from an induction are more painful. I’m also worried about being in labor longer with the induction. With my son I was in labor for 7 hours and was only 1 cm dilated when I got to the hospital. This time I am already 3 cm dilated. If I am induced would it not take as long since I already have started dilating?

2. JJB2

JJB2 Well-Known Member

I was induced with no epidural but it was my first so I dont know how painful natural constractions are compared to induced contractions.

3. HLx

HLx Mum of 2, cooking #3

I was induced with no epidural on my second, labour was much quicker more Intense, only lasted 2 hours and didn't hurt half as much as it did with my 1st! Baby was also A LOT bigger and easier to push out.

My first baby started natural and took 9 hours and it was exhausting.

I've never had an epidural but apparently it can make labour drag on... I just want them evicted hahaha

4. Twag

Twag Mummy to Elliot & Izzy <3

I was induced with both of mine and they were both quick labours and no epidural - I have no idea what a natural contraction feels like compared to an induced one sorry but they weren't that bad tbh (I only had the one dose of pitocin both times)

5. Pne1985

Pne1985 Well-Known Member

I was never induced, however I was given something to speed up my contractions with our son. I had an epidural with him being my first, my labor was so long and I couldn’t tell when I had to push. With our daughter, she came very quickly on her own and didn’t have an epidural with her. It was rough pushing her out without one but I felt like a million bucks after I had her. Not really much pain below at all! With our son, I hurt for a while down there and got a bad headache, I think from the epidural.

6. AmeliePoulain

AmeliePoulain Mama to 3 girls

I have been induced 3 x - first time I had an epidural and the second 2 x I did not.

It was much quicker and I coped fine. My second one actually was the most painful and the ‘least’ induced as I had no hormone drip with her! So I’m not totally convinced on the ‘induced labour more painful’. I was technically induced as had a prostin gel - but that didn’t send me into labour, it was my water being broken that did it.

Third baby I had the drip form 0cm dilated and it was quick once it happened. 25 mins of established labour.