Induction?!

mrsjk

Reaction score
Hi ladies!

I'm looking for some induction stories.... I'm a FTM and I'm being induced on the weekend because I've just been diagnosed with cholestasis.

I'm TERRIFIED and really don't know what to expect...anyone that can give me some insight on inductions?

I'd really appreciate it!

I'm in the U.S. not sure how different the process would be in the UK, but I've been induced 4 times, and with each of mine, my cervix was soft enough, and I was dilated enough that they just used pitocin. Basically, it's an artificial form of oxytocin, which your body makes naturally for contractions. They hook it up to an IV, and it causes contractions. If your cervix isn't ripe enough, many Drs will use cervadil. It's a suppository type thing that they place next to the cervix. It will soften the cervix and help dilation. Many women will go into active labor with just that. There are other less used methods, but these are the most common. Some Drs want to break your water first thing, but I wouldn't recommended it. The sometimes the process goes faster, but because the water is no longer cushioning anything, it's much more painful. I don't let my dr break my water til I'm at least 6 cm. The process can take many hours, so it will most likely be a very long day for you. Make sure you eat a good meal the night before, try to get some sleep. Please remember, anything they want to do, they need your permission. Don't let them bully you into something you don't want. As a FTM, I wish I had stood up for myself more. GL!!

I was induced at 38+2 due to swelling and reduced movements.
When examined my cervix was already soft and open (2cm) They broke my waters and hooked me straight up to the picotin IV, things progressed really quickly, it was intense and painful but from established labour to my lo being born was 5 hours, I had a back to back labour which also made things more painful and by 8cm i was asking for epidural but was told it was too late, so gas and air was my best friend!!

Inductions can be different for every pregnancy, I know a few people who have had to have the pessaries and gels with induction and its taken days, wheras other people like me have had their babies within hours.

I wish you all the best with your induction, wont be long till your cuddling your baby!

Thank you ladies!! You made me feel a lot better.

I have no idea if I'm dilated at all right now so I might need the gels....I guess I'll see when I go in!

My induction was horrible. I was induced at 39+2 due to high blood pressure, it was a Thursday. I was no where near ready for labor, I was barely thinned out and only 1cm dilated. I had to take a tablet that took 4 hours to work to help thin me out. I needed THREE tablets so that took 12 hours. After that they started me on pitocin and my water didn't break on its own until Saturday morning. She wouldn't come down when I was finally fully dilated and I pushed for about an hour. They told me I would need to push 2-3 more hours and I was beyond exhausted at that point (and very hungry since I didn't have a real meal since 11am Thursday) so I ended up with a c section and she was born early hours of Sunday morning. Roughly 50 hours of labor, about 20 of active labor. I don't mean to scare you but majority of inductions do take forever.

If you're curious to read about my labor (there's a lot more to it), it's on my blog!

I don't have any to share, but I'm wanting to read others' induction experiences.

This is my 5th, and the first time that induction is looking like a strong possibility (we can schedule it tomorrow for as soon as the weekend I think). Last check, 2 days ago, I was 3cm and 50%. I'd wait it out if it weren't for the pain I've been in for the last 2 months.

Ive had inductions with all 3 babies, had good experiences every time! The worst bit was the waiting for them to break waters and have room for me on delivery! First time, had the pessary inserted, waited 24hrs, broke my waters and went straight in to labour she was born 3hrs later :o

second time i had the pessary, waited 6hrs, broke my waters and she was born 4hrs later!

this last time had the pessary, waited an age for them to break my waters as they were busy! They broke them about 8hrs after, then had to wait hours for room on delivery but started contracting on my own for hours, they fizzled out but left me 4cm dialted by the time i got
delivery, started the drip and he was born about 4 1/2hrs later.

my cervix was very unfavorable each time but still had quick labours :)

Well, I'm scheduled for induction Sunday morning. Still hoping to go on my own before then, but at least I have an end point.

Thanks ladies! You've made me feel better!
I'm supposed to get a call tomorrow night to set up a time for Sunday morning!

UPDATE: My baby girl arrived October 20th at 5:45am, 12 hours after starting pitocin and about 9 hours after having my water broken!

The induction experience was not bad at all (although this was my first baby so I don't know what any other experience is like) but definitely a lot better than I was imagining!

She is perfect! Hubby & I are sooo in loveee with her!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->