Induction

MidnightSun

Reaction score
I spoke to my MW last week about inductions as most of the women in my family seem to go overdue.

I have done quite a bit of research on refusing induction and have told her that is what I have decided, which, surprisingly enough she was quite happy with and said that is was my body and that I could not be pushed into anything.

I am using Natal Hypnotherapy in the birthing process and so want to be as relaxed as possible throughout, but I know that if anything startes to deteriorate with baby's placenta that they will have to induce me.

It's the drip that I am worried about. I understand that it can make contractions faster and more intense? I really do not want these chemicals in my body!

My sister has said that she is pretty certain that you can simply have the pessary option and that you do not have to have the drip; is this correct?

What happens if the pessary doesn't work?

Thank you!

There are stages to induction such as trying a sweep of your membranes first (then waiting to see if that works), then gels and peccaries, then synthetic hormone drip induction.. either with or without artificially rupturing your membranes (ARM)

However if you don't want to be induced unless there is evidence of placental insufficiency.. then the evidence of problems with your placenta will indicate that an induction should ideally happen more rapidly than waiting for days for sweeps, gels and peccaries alone - of course it is your choice, and you can still refuse the drip induction, if you find yourself in this situation - but be prepared for considerable pressure to get things moving quickly if there is evidence of the placenta aging. This pressure will be more intense, esp if you have agreed to ARM then under NICE guidelines you will feel against the clock as it were, to birth in 24 hrs, but they should also offer you expectant management (a wait, monitor and see approach).. but if you would be comfortable with that given any placenta problems, I don't know?

So I don't mean to confuse you - but if you are going to let nature take its course I would certainly be doing that and trying to avoid the induction drip at first.. These babies do come eventually I promise you, but if you do have evidence baby isn't getting enough nourishment from the placenta, then I'm not sure that in reality, if you will be given the time or feel you have any real choices but the induction drip..? You can always refuse and see how baby is coping. But having the drip might save you from an EMCS, which you are also likely to be offered in those circumstances.

It's good to think of these things in advance, so you know how you feel about them.
XxX

If you PM me your email address I can email you the AIMS Induction Booklet. :)

Anyone else interested in a copy PM your email address and I'll fire one along to you :D

i can only comment on my first pregnancy. My waters broke naturally at home, but there was meconium so I went into hospital. They sent a doc round to either give me a pessary or the drip. The doc said that if the pessary didn't work I would have to go on the drip anyway, but as it turned out she put me on the drip straight off. I had nothing to compare it to, but can say that YES, the contractions seemed to be extremely painful/intense and close together from the very first one! I won't do it this time unless I go to 2 weeks over or something similar happens and it's the safest option. HTH.

Get non-stress test, ultrasound to look at baby, placenta, and fluid levels. Unless these things come up reporting something negative, it is not a medical indication to induce no matter how far overdue you are. Get the proof first, you may find that they were WAY off on your dates. I know lots of docs/mw through around the "your overdue so your baby is gonna die because of detorating placenta :wacko:) but really, being overdue doesn't mean that at all! I went to almost 42 weeks and guess what? My baby was determined to be 40 weeks gestation, not the nearly 42 weeks they so claimed him to be while i was pregnant! I am soooo glad i opted for fetal monitoring as opposed to the induction! oh and FYI, there are lots of things you can do naturally to induce labor...but tbh if baby isn't ready it wont work. :nope: i am proof haha. but if baby is ready it could be just the thing you need :D :dust:

“Attending births is like growing roses. You have to marvel at the ones that just open up and bloom at the first kiss of the sun…but you wouldn’t dream of pulling open the petals of the tightly closed buds and forcing them to blossom to your time line.” – Gloria Lemay

You wouldn't dream of tearing open a chrysalis or breaking open and egg if the baby butterfly or chick inside hadn't come out close to the day you had GUESSED it would! Your EDD is just that -an ESTIMATE. And no one knows exactly what your gestation period is. If it's possible for some women to be unlucky enough to have premature babies with each pregnancy then it's possible for women to gestate their babies for longer too. I feel very fortunate that my babies have all come well done. I know I'd rather it was that way.

i was induced with pessary- never needed the drip thankfully. so if your body is ready the pessary often does it for you. but hopefully you'll just go into labour yourself

Midnight I feel the same way as you! We could be in the same situation so maybe we should stick together lol. This is my biggest worry!

Mervs mum could you send me that booklet please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->