Infected cut - what to do?

Erised

Mummy to amazing girls
Reaction score
Just looking for some advice,

The little miss (just under 2) fell over 4 days ago in her bedroom. She was left with a small cut on her hand, I at first thought it was a carpet burn but DH came to the conclusion she must have fallen on her finger nail as there was a cut in the shape of her finger nail.

We left it as it was, stuck her in the bath to clean it as it was bed time anyway and expected it to look better the next day. Instead it started going red, getting worse each day. It's the cut and a small circle around it. We've been putting germolene on it for the last 2 days, and have tried plasters but she keeps them on for a whole 10 minutes. The germolene doesn't seem to be doing anything at all as it's still getting redder rather than getting less.

At the moment we have used medical tape to keep the plaster on so she'll at least not keep falling on it / put food in it / other toddler stuff.

Now, my question is, what to do? DH said he wanted to take her to the GP if it isn't any better yet by tonight - so that would have to be the out of hours with it being a bank holiday weekend. I suggested taking her to a pharmacy today and getting them to look at it, but DH said they won't be able to do anything.

Where to go from here? Try something else at home, take her to the GP, sit it out even though it's getting worse? We've been lucky so far that she's only had 1 other 'injury' in the past, a nasty carpet burn on her foot... I'm not used to this, so no clue what to do.

Maybe the fresh air will help to mend it? I was always told to put a plaster on to help stop the bleeding and then the fresh air will help to make it scab and mend afterwards?

If its not had any air to it or been kept dry (i.e. germolene) the body hasn't had the chance to fight it itself IYKWIM by creating a scab as its too damp for it?

I hope that makes sense? At least if you try that for a day, if it doesn't get any better and a scab doesn't appear then go to the doctors?

I'd just give it a good clean now with warm water, pat it dry and see if a scan appears?

I would go and ask a pharmacist anyway, they can give advice and are able to sell some things that you can only get through them iykwim.

I'd recommend a pharmacist as well. They're normally quite good at helping with things like that x

Thanks ladies =)

The first 2 days we had left it open and dry without anything on it, but it didn't scab over properly. I think the reason for that was that with it being on her hand, she doesn't avoid it and keeps knocking it / falling on it. Without it being protected it doesn't seem to have a chance to heal with her, which is why we tried the plaster. Which failed, including the one today, so it's been mostly without plaster to be honest (as they only last 10 minutes at most).

Think I will leave it dry as you say though, as I have always been told the same myself.
DH has changed his mind on the GP, saying that it looks like there's something in the wound but that the GP won't be needed. Wish he would make up his mind. To be honest, she doesn't seem bother by it. Still uses her hand fine and only goes 'ouch' when she realises the plaster has come off as she wants a new one.

The local pharmacy is open until 7 tonight, so will see if I can convince DH to at least get it checked out =)

I'd get it checked out by someone if its not getting better. Maybe they can recommend something else to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->