[Info] Medical pain relief for labour....

Carley

Mama to one and pregnant
Reaction score
Taken from https://www.babycenter.com.au/pregnancy/labourandbirth/painrelief/

Epidural:

What is it?

It's an injection into the small of your back, using a curved, hollow needle. The needle goes between the vertebrae of your back, and into the space outside the coverings that surround your spinal cord. A fine tube is passed through the needle and then the needle is removed. The tube is taped up your back and over your shoulder. The anaesthetist injects a local anaesthetic (similar to what you would have at the dentist) into the tube to numb the lower part of your abdomen. Generally, your legs and feet go numb as well. You can't feel your contractions any longer. Sometimes, the tube is attached to a small pump, which allows you to control how much local anaesthetic you have, or the pump may be primed to release a small dose of the anaesthetic every so many minutes.
How does it work?

Advertisement

It works in just the same way as a local anaesthetic works when the dentist numbs your mouth before extracting a tooth. The anaesthetic deadens the nerves which are carrying pain signals from your womb and cervix.
When should I have it?

Theoretically, you could have an epidural at any point in labour, even in the second stage when you are pushing your baby out, although a spinal anaesthetic would probably be offered in that situation. Most people, however, choose to have an epidural when the cervix is about five to six centimetres dilated and the contractions are getting pretty strong. If you are as much as eight or nine centimetres dilated, your midwife might say that it's too late for an epidural and advise you to manage without because your baby should be born soon.
What are the advantages of epidurals?

• More than 90% of women get complete pain relief

• Your mind remains totally clear

• Can help to control high blood pressure

• Can put you back in control of your labour, and restore your confidence

• Epidurals are more sophisticated than they used to be and you might find that your legs and feet are not completely numb
What are the disadvantages?

• May find that you are numb down only one side of your body or that a small part of your tummy has not been anaesthetised

• May make you feel very shivery

• You have to stay in bed

• You need to have a drip in your arm. This is because epidurals make some women's blood pressure drop which seriously affects the flow of oxygen to the baby. The drip is a safety precaution so that, in an emergency, the volume of your blood can be quickly boosted to bring your blood pressure back to normal again.

• You will probably have a catheter into your bladder. An epidural means you can't tell when you need to empty your bladder, so this has to be done automatically for you.

• You might feel very out of control. You have three tubes going into your body and you have to be told when to push if the anaesthetic hasn't worn off by the second stage of labour. Your midwife and doctor effectively manage your labour for you.

• Epidurals can increase the length of labour, especially the pushing stage.

• Your baby's heartbeat will be monitored continuously, using a transducer strapped to your abdomen, or a smaller transducer clipped onto his scalp.

• There's a greater chance of needing to have a forceps or ventouse delivery because epidurals often prevent the baby moving into the best position to be born.

• If the epidural needle goes beyond the epidural space, there will be a leakage of cerebro-spinal fluid after the tube is taken out. This fluid buffers your brain and even a very small leak will give you a terrific headache. This is usually treated by taking a small amount of blood from your arm, perhaps the day after your baby is born, and injecting it into your back to seal the hole made by the epidural needle.

• Some women have problems passing urine after having an epidural.

• You might not be able to have an epidural! Not every hospital in England and Wales offers a 24-hour epidural service. Rates vary from 100 per cent of hospitals providing the service in the Oxfordshire region to 58 per cent in the West Midlands, 64 per cent in the South West and 28 per cent in Wales.

• Not available for a home birth.
Any useful tips?

• Keep very still while the anaesthetist is setting up the epidural. You will be on your side or sitting on the edge of the bed, leaning forward. Concentrate on your breathing. Breathe in deeply through your nose and sigh out slowly through your mouth. Hold your companion's hand and keep eye contact with him or her.

• Discuss with your doctor and midwife the possibility of letting the epidural wear off for the second stage of labour when you are going to deliver your baby. Being able to feel the contractions will help you push more effectively.

Mobile or mobilising or ambulatory epidural:

What is a "mobile" epidural?

A mobile, or low dose infusion, epidural is a fairly new technique, which gives excellent pain relief but also allows you to retain some sensation in your legs. However, you have to remember that the primary aim of this kind of epidural is to relieve pain; keeping you mobile is only a secondary concern, and some women find that they're not really mobile at all.

A mobile epidural is set up in the same way as an ordinary epidural, with a tube passed through a hollow needle into the lower part of your back. The other end of the tube is attached to a pump, which sends a combination of anaesthetic and pain-killing drugs (usually bupivacaine and fentanyl) into your back throughout your labour. Sometimes the pump is under your control - this is called Patient Controlled Analgesia or PCA. This method of "continuous infusion" makes it less likely than with an ordinary epidural that you will need forceps or ventouse to give birth to your baby.
How does it work?

Advertisement

In the same way as an epidural, only the combination of drugs maximises pain relief while limiting the loss of sensation in your legs.
When can I have a mobile epidural?

During the first stage of labour when you feel you can't cope with contractions any longer, or early on in labour if you have decided you don't want to have any pain at all.
What are the advantages of a mobile epidural?

• Excellent pain relief for most women

• Depending on how you, as an individual, respond to the "cocktail" of drugs that the anaesthetist uses, you should still be able to move about

• You can push more effectively in the second stage of labour

• You are less likely to need forceps or ventouse than if you have a traditional epidural
What are its disadvantages?

• You may find that the amount of movement you retain is very limited. Some women can manage to move from the bed to a chair, and a few can walk with help.

• Itching

• Difficulty in passing urine

• Will probably increase the length of labour

• You are still more likely to need forceps or ventouse than if you don't have an epidural
Any useful tips?

• Check whether your hospital offers mobile epidurals - many don't.

• Keep very still while the epidural is being set up. This is very important to help the anaesthetist position the tube correctly in your back. You will be on your side or sitting on the edge of the bed, leaning forward. Concentrate on your breathing. Breathe in deeply and sigh out slowly through your mouth. Hold your companion's hand and keep eye contact with him or her.
Combined Spinal Epidural (CSE)

This is a technique that is popular in some hospitals. In the first stage of labour, you are given a spinal injection of a drug such as pethidine or fentanyl to give you pain relief. At the same time, an epidural is set up, but no drugs are passed down the tube. When the effect of the spinal injection wears off, an anaesthetic drug such as bupivacaine is given through the epidural tube to give you ongoing pain relief.

The spinal injection gives you rapid relief from pain, but you should be able to remain at least a little mobile as well.

Entonox (gas and air):

When should I use it?

Advertisement

You can have "gas and air" whenever you want in labour. Simply put the mouthpiece between your lips or teeth and breathe deeply and evenly. This will operate a two-way valve that releases the Entonox for you to breathe in and takes away the carbon dioxide you breathe out. Continue to breathe deeply until you start to feel a little light-headed. Your hand will then drop away from your face and you will stop breathing in the Entonox. Within a few seconds, you will feel perfectly normal again.
What are the advantages of Entonox?

• Easy to use

• Under your control

• Doesn't stay in your system

• Takes the edge off contractions

• Contains oxygen that is good for your baby

• Can be used for a home birth

• If you want to labour in water, you can use "gas and air" while in the pool.
What are its disadvantages?

• Only a mild pain-killer

• May make you feel sick

• Dries your mouth out
Any useful tips?

• Start breathing the Entonox the very second you feel a contraction beginning. It takes at least 20 seconds for the gas to build up in your blood stream to a sufficient level to give you some pain relief, and 45-50 seconds before it reaches it's greatest effectiveness. If you wait until the contraction really hurts, and then start breathing the Entonox, it will be taking effect in between contractions!

• If you're offered "gas and air" through a rubber facemask, and the rubber makes you feel queasy, ask for a mouthpiece. It's easy to swap the mask for a mouthpiece.

• Have lots of sips of water in between contractions to keep your mouth moist.

• When you're pushing your baby out in the second stage of labour, women usually find it easier to concentrate without using the "gas and air" but a few women like to have a little "gas and air" at the beginning of each contraction, but then put the mouthpiece to one side, and PUSH!

Meptid (meptazinol):

What is Meptid?

Unlike pethidine, this is not a drug of addiction or what is called a 'controlled drug'. It is an ordinary analgesic or pain-killer. A standard dose is 100mg.
When should I have it?

Advertisement

During the first stage of labour when you need some extra help to cope with strong contractions.
What are the advantages of Meptid?

• Same advantages as pethidine

• Doesn't affect your baby's breathing as much as pethidine does

• Can be given at any time during first stage of labour

• Very likely to make you feel sick

• May make you feel dizzy

• Not available in many hospitals
Any useful tips?

• Check that Meptid is available at your hospital before deciding that this is what you want to have in labour!

• Remember that it will be about 15 minutes before the drug starts working. So use your breathing techniques to help you until it takes effect.

Spinal (local anaesthetic):

What is a spinal?

It is an injection of local anaesthetic into the small of your back, using a very fine needle.
How does it work?

Advertisement

The local anaesthetic numbs the nerves supplying your womb and cervix so that you can't feel contractions any more.
When should I have a spinal?

Spinals are generally given during the pushing or second stage of labour - it provides pain relief quickly if you are going to have a forceps or ventouse birth and you haven't got an epidural in place already. They are sometimes used for pain relief in the first stage of labour in conjunction with an epidural - this technique gives effective pain relief faster and is more popular with women than epidural alone.
What are the advantages of spinals?

• Very effective and rapid pain relief

• A single injection and, unlike an epidural, there is no tube left in your back

• Limits your mobility because you won't be able to feel your legs

• Short acting (about two hours)

• Can't be given more than once (unlike an epidural, a spinal can't be "topped up")

• You might feel very shivery

• You could get a headache, although the use of modern, finer needles lessen the likelihood of this

• You might feel itchy, sick, and have difficulty passing urine
Any useful tips?

Keep as still as you can while you are having the injection. Concentrate on breathing deeply and evenly. Sigh out and keep your shoulders relaxed. Maintain eye contact with your birth companion.

Oh thanks for sharing :) very interesting I still want an EPI but still scared of a needle going into my back lol

Oh thanks for sharing :) very interesting I still want an EPI but still scared of a needle going into my back lol

Trust me love, at the time a needle is peanuts compared to the contractions, it doesn't hurt either! I got the epi (best decision I ever made), was actually able to sleep after being in active labour for 28 hours!

Great info, but I think you'll need to link back to the original article as Wobbles mentioned to me that they'd had some issues with copyright in the past. :)

Ohhh thank you, I will post it soon. It's off babycentre :)

Gimme, gimme, gimme

I had a mobile epidural with both Lauren and Abi:happydance:

Wonderful stuff...I laboured too quickly with Toby to get one:cry: . They had it set up and waiting but I had given birth by the time the Dr came to give it to me:hissy:.

I am hoping that I may get one in time with this baby as I felt so much more "in-control" and enjoyed the build up and birth much more with the mobile epidural:thumbup:

Well if anyone wants to ask any questions between my 3 labours/births I've had it all and done one with little pain relief. Just pm me if you want to ask anything xxx

How old are yours Logiebear? Whereabouts in Mcr are you? I'm in Swinton

I mentioned earlier that I had mobile epidural with two of my births, with another two births I had pethidine which I hated and made me feel very drunk, dizzy and sick not to mention out of control.

Toby's (my latest baby) birth was very fast and I used nothing till near the end when I tried gas and air...it gave me some distraction I think but not sure if it helped with the pain, especially when I needed an episiotomy and a ventouse to get him out quickly as he was tightly corded and his heart rate was alarmingly low. Luckily he was fine:cloud9:

I thought people should know about both options for pain relief in labour. Being educated on both options is the best thing you can do :)

Well if anyone wants to ask any questions between my 3 labours/births I've had it all and done one with little pain relief. Just pm me if you want to ask anything xxx

I've been through a completely natural labour. I was induced and labour hit hard and fast... what was an epidural like? What did you prefer, natural, or medical pain relief?

I think if labour was quick and over with fast it would be easied to deal with a natural birth... I think it is likely harder when you have a birth that goes on for hours and hours... Your body just gets exausted and weak from dealing with the pain.

Im just going to wait and see what I need as it happens.

I think if labour was quick and over with fast it would be easied to deal with a natural birth... I think it is likely harder when you have a birth that goes on for hours and hours... Your body just gets exausted and weak from dealing with the pain.

I have to disagree with this. I've been through a natural labour not induced, and induced. With my son I was in active labour for about 5hours but my body had time to build up to the contractions, which helped. Still painful but my body had time to adjust.

With my daughter I was induced from having PROM and it was about 36 hours prior. I was put on pictocin at 1pm, my contractions started at 3pm on the dot, every 2 minutes lasting 60 seconds. My body didn't have time to adjust at all. That's why I'm trying to prevent induction.

What experiences have others had?

Not sure what you were getting at with that, Carley? I dont think im reading it right, but it still seems like your saying the first (and shorter) labour was easier? Which is what I just said... That a shorter labour may be easier to do naturally? Rather then a long drawn out labour, which would tax on your body.

Sorry if im just not reading it right?

Not sure what you were getting at with that, Carley? I dont think im reading it right, but it still seems like your saying the first (and shorter) labour was easier? Which is what I just said... That a shorter labour may be easier to do naturally? Rather then a long drawn out labour, which would tax on your body.

Sorry if im just not reading it right?

It's all good.

For me my first labour was longer and easier because my body went into labour naturally.

For my second it was half the time, but I was induced so I found it a lot harder. From 3pm I had very intense contractions, no warm ups.

I hope that made sense.

ok, yes, now I get it haha..

LOL It's all good! I wasn't sure if my pregnancy brain had muddled words up...:blush:

Well I had my daughter when I was 21 and the labour was very slow, I started on the Sunday morning with very mild, period like pains and I thought I was just constipated. By Monday morning they gave me an induction gel as my bp was going up. By Tuesday morning they gave me the third and last gel at 9am when I was 3cm!! I put on a Tenns machine til 5pm and then my contractions were 3 mins apart and they took me to the delivery room. They they broke my waters and I asked for some meptid (milder version of pethidine) but because my labour was so well established it had little effect. The gas and air was the only thing that worked. When you have been in labour for a long time without any chemical pain relief your body does build up it's own defences and you find nothing helps. I had my daughter at 10.58pm on the Tuesday weighing 8lb 1oz

My secind baby was a complicated pregnancy and high risk as I was diagnosed with diabetes during it, I got to 34 weeks and developed pre eclampsia so was hospitalised to reduce the symptons. Then at 36 I went into labour and the baby wasn't engaged, I had an epidural to try and calm things down which it did but the labour progressed and I ended up with an emergency section the same day. He was born at 11.58am on a Tuesday weighing 9lb 6oz.

My third was a diabetic pregnancy as I was diagnosed type 2 between them (6 months) it went the same way too, I was hospitalised at 35 weeks and had emergency section due to PE at 36 weeks. My second son was born at 3.58pm on a Tuesday weighing 9lb 11oz.

So I had big babies that were all born in the 58th minute and on Tuesdays, spooky coinsidences I know considering the circumstance. So I know my next baby will be a section but hopefully I can longer than 36 weeks. It depends on the size of the baby and how my body cope s with the size.

Hevs I am 32 and I have friends and family living in Swinton in the Moorside Rd area. I live in Stretford, not far from Old Trafford. Pm me if you wanna chat hun xxx

My Mum has had two inductions and two natural births, all were relatively fast being in single figures of hours. She said that the induced labour is more painful and intense, it is also usually quicker than a natural labour. I'm not sure then Carley if in your case it's the length of time of just the process of induction. :shrug:

But I can certainly see how having time for the body to adjust will help with the pain. Any induced labour of any length is going to be a surprise to the body I think.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I used to think this too but after Toby's speedy arrival I would much prefer a little more time to adjust.

I woke up with a bit of tummy ache, went to loo and by the time I'd got back in bed the contractions were thick and fast...every 2 mins and getting more painful with each one. I was in hospital already for observation as I fell over the day before so pressed my call button for the midwife, she examined me and I was 4cm.

I told her to ask for an epidural for me to be ready when I got to delivery suite...she did that but by the time the anaesthetist got there I was giving birth:dohh:. Shite....it was all too fast for me:cry:.

I don't know how hubby got there in time, good job I rang him as soon as I woke and told him to put his foot down. We'd have never got to the hospital in time with me in tow, with agonising contractions:hissy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->