Info wanted on sweeps? :)

laurajade__x

Reaction score
It's my due date tomorrow and midwife said she will do a sweep.. What's the chance of it working? How do they do it and does it hurt? Thanks :)

Mine was a little crampy, but that's it. They use their fingers to "sweep" around the inside of the cervix and seperate the water bag from the uterus.

Had one at 38+4 last time and it worked :)

I've had 2 and got another due tomorrow. They basically put their finger up there and sweep around with their finger. It's more uncomfortable then painful but just relax. Afterwards I had some discharge when I went to the loo and wiped, it was brown ( sorry tmi), my midwife said this was fine and the couple of days following my first one I had some jelly like discharge. Your best bet is to put a pad on once it's been done. xx

Deffo have a pad to hand, the sweep the mw gave me was uncomfortable and I felt yucky afterwards...just violated lol! About half hr afterwards i lost some discharge and had horrid backache, and some bh. But they did fizzle out. My second sweep my consultant did and he was vicious lol! I bled imediately afterwards when I wiped and had backache and bh for good few hours afterwards...also lost lots more plug and today fingers crossed am in early labour....hopefully lol!! Xxxx

It all depends how ready your body is for labour anyway. I've only had one when my waters had already broken (well I had a small leak) and it only took the 15mins for me to get home for me to have a bloody show and then extremely painful contractions were coming. I don't rememeber it hurting as such, bit uncomfortable. I think they do tend to work aslong as your body and baby are ready x

I've been wondering about this too, never had one in previous pregnancies. I really don't fancy it tbh! I think I would rather wait and let nature run it's course unless I go really overdue :)

My first sweep was fine, hardly felt anything and felt fine after. My second sweep I had on the Thursday, it hurt! Not really painful but very uncomfortable. I lost my plug on the Friday and had my son first thing Saturday morning so I think that one did work. I had it at 10 days overdue!

Hi

My daughter was born 42+1. I had one sweep prior to my induction which didn't work (well the midwife said she couldn't do a proper sweep due to positioning?).

I have spoken to my midwife yesterday re sweeps. She has confirmed that the earliest I can have a sweep is when I'm 5 days overdue, unless the consultant requests a sweep earlier. So I will have to speak to the consultant at my appointment next month.

I do have a while to go yet. But want to be prepared.

What can I say to the consultant in order to get a sweep done earlier. And, is it worth it?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->