Inside Death Row-Did you watch? -Opinions.

lhancock90

2 toddlers, 1 MMC, WTT#3
Reaction score
UK girls this was on tonight, did you watch? Personally i am against the Death Penalty.

I missed, didn't realise it was on. What channel? I find those sorts of programs interesting :)

I watched it but always find these programmes weird in the way they're portrayed. Like for example last night Trevor McDonald was standing in the cell of someone on death row, and was asking if he was claustrophobic and that he felt uncomfortable being in there for a short amount of time, how did the prisoner cope with being in that room all day every day? team that with some sad horrible musical and it's distracts right away from the fact this man is on death row because he committed a double homicide at the tender age of 13 years old.

I don't know wheat her you get what I'm saying from that post, I was having a really hard time explaining my opinion on it to my grandad this morning.

Can I ask why your against the death penalty? I agree totally with it. And I think we should have a better judicial system in this country. I very in support of a 'life for a life'. I understand its never as clean cut as that though.

Excuse my spelling, my iPad does its own thing and makes me look illiterate.

I only saw a bit of it.

Im on the fence bout death penalty. For it because in my eyes if u take someones life then why should u live yrs? I imagine someone killing a child, or dwfenceless old man-why should they be allowed to go on breathing? But tgen i know sometimes they get it wrong, punish the wrong people, or maybe it was self defence. I think it all depends on the individual case.

I was always 100% against the death penalty, but to be honest I find myself wondering ever since I had my LO. Because if someone even so much as harmed her I would have a difficult time defending their right to live.

The saying 'id kill for my kids' rings a bell. Coz I so would. I think having kids totally changes yr outlook on life.

I am against it because;

1. It does not act as a deterrent where it is used.

2. Can you ever 100% prove guilt? https://www.theatlantic.com/nationa...rica-we-have-executed-an-innocent-man/257106/
If just one innocent life has been taken, that should be enough to rethink this punishment.

3. I don't think any forward thinking society can develop and grow whilst it still uses capital punishment.

4. A quote from last nights show "You tellin' me killins' bad but your gonna kill me?"

5. I wonder about the morality of it, if murder is punishable by murder, then what of the executioner?

They are just my reaspns. I do understand that, if it were my family, i would of course, want that person dead, but that doesn't mean i'd be right. If that makes sense.

Karlilay, i felt sick about the 13 year old boy case. I don't know whether, without having all the details, i can accept that 25 years ago a 13 year boy could have been held responsible.

What channel was it on, will see if I can catch it some where.

I am with you, so against the death penalty.

As a mother I support the death penalty....

BUT. I agree with all your points when i have my level head on.Really,whenever asked this question my mind leaps to somebody touching my children and family so I can never have an open mind when debating!!!

I'd feel the need for revenge and I think its the only way I'd get it.

I didn't see the programme, although I would have loved to, as it fascinates me in some weird way! Might see if I can catch up online or something.

Personally, I'm undecided on the death penalty. I think there are far too many inconsistencies within the government's way of working for it to be written off and classed as "legalized murder" - a policeman seizing a criminal's gun isn't committing a theft, as it's legal. So I guess legalized execution can't be called murder. People have declared capital punishment as a violation of the sanctity of life, yet on the other hand are willing to back the governments spending out billions to go to war and kill innocent civilians in the process. I know that's a different debate altogether, but it's just an example.

Also, when the alternative is just a prison sentence, sometimes shorter than someone who has committed a money-crime, or fraud, and THEN able to be released early, to me it cheapens the value of the life of the victim.

But there's sooo many factors involved, and I'm completely mixed on the subject. It has it's pros, but so many cons too, like you said Lauren.

xxo

I also watched the programme and I also would not be good at debating this sort of thing as like another poster added, I'd always refer back to what if it was my family.

But the major part of me would be against it, I used to be very much for it.

What I didn't understand about the programme was why some of the men got the death sentence for murder when others didnt :shrug:.

A man on there shot and killed 1police officer and was given the death sentence where as another man done organised killing for money didnt receive the death sentence but got like 170 years.....yes he's never going to get out of there which absolutely he shouldn't.... But why didnt he get the death sentence.

Same as the man who was given the death sentence at 15 for murder but then they showed a man who had killed people but got life sentence it doesn't make sense :shrug:.

Why are some given the death sentence when others are not

I can't watch this show as I am in Canada, but I have to say I think the death penalty is horrible. How can we tell people they are so awful for murdering people and then essentially murder them for doing it. And I can not understand how anyone could murder people for their actual job. Whether its legal or not, killing someone is killing someone and you can't be right in the head to be willing to do it in my eyes. Keep dangerous offenders in prison away from society for the rest of their lives. I also really think its horrible that some network is making money off of a tv show about people on death row.

I didnt see programme and am against the death penalty but as others have said since lo was born if anyone hurt my baby i would want them dead, i have to say when i saw the story about the woman in india raped and then throwen out of that bus i did think those men dont deserve to live and its upseting the one claiming to be 17 and who was said by victim to do most horrific things before she died will get away with practically no punishment. I cant imagine as well what the poor mother of jamie bulger must feel and can totally understand why people want death punishment. My only feeling against this is you would have to be sure of guilt and surely if a court decides to take someones life they are effectively decided to end someones life

it was repeated last night so i watched it, and honestly i think it's made me feel even more confused haha.

in some parts, like when they were saying about the 13yr old's crime, it didnt make sense that someone so young be held as accountable, and for so long. but on the other hand the guy who had murdered his wife and.child(ren?), i felt like he deserved to be there.

but if i feel like that then am i valuing a mother and child's life over that of two elderly women? i almost felt pity for the guy who'd been in since the age of 15. but then i was like snap out of it! haha.

anyway im looking forward to the next one, maybe i'll know better then

xo

I cant make my mind up on it.

On the one hand, there was a guy in there who had commited murder when he was 13. He will never be released and I kind of feel that he should be given a chance? But then again, murder is murder and you cant have one rule for one and not all.

But the guy at the end just made me feel sick. He went into a womans home and killed her and her 3 year old daughter. He was arrested almost immediately but denied it. He was sentenced to death and now freely admits that he did it.

I think, like others have said, now im a mother any mention of a child being harmed just makes me feel hatred and I actually found that in his case I wanted him to die a horrible death.

But then thats kind of contradictory because like I said earlier, murder is murder.

I dont think i make sense at all, but I think thats the point. there is no right answer, its such a hard thing to think about.

As a mother I support the death penalty....

BUT. I agree with all your points when i have my level head on.Really,whenever asked this question my mind leaps to somebody touching my children and family so I can never have an open mind when debating!!!

I'd feel the need for revenge and I think its the only way I'd get it.

But just because you feel the need for revenge doesnt mean that it is ethical for the law to support it.

If - god forbid - someone did that to Ivy I'm sure it would cross my mind to kill them myself but I would accept the lawful consequence of that, it would be worth it.

I think Lauren has already pointed out that capital punishment actually costs more than life imprisonment because of the very very long process to ensure that the convicted person is truly guilty - and I don't see how there could be anyway around those costs without risking innocent people being executed which obviously no one wants. Innocent people are still executed even after this process that is supposedly able to conclusively determine whether someone is guilty or not.

I don't know how anyone could support it with all of this knowledge tbh, the ethics of capital punishment are already really shaky but added to the fact that economically it makes no sense either I cannot see any justification for it at all.

Death penalty is one of those subjects that I find really difficult to debate because I really struggle to understand the 'other' side of the argument, to me there absolutely is a right answer and that is that murder is never ethical no matter how moral the reasons appear to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->