Inside Death Row-Did you watch? -Opinions.

I think for me it seems hypocritical to stand back and say "the death penalty is wrong" and yet at the same time wholeheartedly believe that of someone harmed my family I would want them dead.

But you're right, personal feelings on the subject shouldn't dictate laws and so I guess I don't agree with the death penalty in that sense.

I agree with Trev McDonald, i can understand why the victims families are so fir it, be ause if it was my family, i would be. But in principle, i dont agree at all.

I agree with it.

You can't really compare someone planning and executing a heinous crime to the process leading to the death penalty. They spend years investigating and preparing evidence, put the person in front of a jury of their peers, give the accused the opportunity to defend themselves, and in most cases pay for the person to have a lawyer. Hardly the same as breaking into someone's house and stabbing them in their sleep.

I think it's a slap in the face to the person who was murdered and their families to punish a cold-blooded killer by giving them a warm bed to sleep in, guaranteed meals, clothing, exercise equipment, access to television and the internet, a college education, and health care at the expense of the taxpayer. I'm not saying jail is a picnic, I'm saying that the punishment absolutely does not fit the crime in those cases.

The ones on death row who say they shouldn't be put to death because killing is wrong astound me. If you truly believed killing was wrong, you wouldn't be here in the first place. They think that the rules don't apply to them and that the only life that matters is there own.

That said, the death penalty isn't appropriate in all murder cases. If you are mentally disabled or a minor, it shouldn't be an option. I'm on the fence about crimes of passion, but I think it's perfectly acceptable in premeditated and heinous crimes. These people know that murder can lead to the death penalty. They chose to risk it. The blame is on them.

But just because prisoners are provided with warmth and a bed does not mean that it is by any means a comfortable life! I think people forget how fundamental personal freedom is to happiness and these people have absolutely no personal freedom whatsoever, which they obviously deserve. Plus the constant threat of rape/gang violence/being killed and isolation. And as I said before capital punishment is actually more of an expense to the taxpayer than lifelong imprisonment. You cannot base justice on the emotions of the victims, where would you draw the line? Which murders deserve death and which don't? Surely that could depend on a persons own moral viewpoint. Just because someone is anti death penalty doesn't mean they think murderers and rapists should have a great life.

What annoyed me about the show Lou was exactly that, a man who shot a cop, intending to wound not kill, was given the death sentence, another murderer, who planned his murder becoming, technically, a hit man, was in a more open and relaxed part of the prison. It makes NO sense.

I didn't say jail was comfortable. I also didn't say that anyone thinks they should have a great life. I said that they have it way too easy. How is a free college education punishment? There are plenty of people every year who commit crimes because they want to go to jail. It gives them more stability and a better life then they make for themselves on the outside.

You can't base punishment on emotions. You find a guideline and apply it to everyone. There is a massive difference in a stabbing in the heat of an argument and a person who plans and executes a murder or tortures their victim. These are two very different scenarios that should have different punishments.

I agree completely with everything louandivy has said. I don't care what crime is committed. In my opinion it is not right to ever kill someone, whether it's done by criminals or for someone's job. The ONLY time I think it is "ok" is in self defense. If someone is locked up in prison for the rest of their life, they won't be able to hurt anyone in public again, so why kill them? I think that would be the easy way out for them. I'd rather them be stuck in prison forever. Could you be the one to press the button, or inject the poison, (whatever they do)? I certainly couldn't, and I firmly beleive that anyone who could is not quite right in the head, whether it's their job or not.

I used to believe in the death penalty. I have since changed my views. I think sitting in jail and always being reminded of what you did is far more punishment that a quick death. Also I know this may sound horrible but for me knowing that pedophiles and baby killers are not having a bright sunny happy day every day in jail gives me great happiness. Before they even hit population the others know they are coming and their life from now on will be a living hell. Even if they are eventually taken away from population their lives are still miserable.. JMO :flower:

I agree. The justice system in the uk is rediculas!! Basically you will get more time for repeatedly stealing that you would for murder cannot understand it makes me soooo angry! So I think I agree with this topic for serious crime like murder!! X

But just because prisoners are provided with warmth and a bed does not mean that it is by any means a comfortable life! I think people forget how fundamental personal freedom is to happiness and these people have absolutely no personal freedom whatsoever, which they obviously deserve. Plus the constant threat of rape/gang violence/being killed and isolation.
And as I said before capital
punishment is actually more of an
expense to the taxpayer than
lifelong imprisonment. You cannot
base justice on the emotions of the
victims, where would you draw the
line? Which murders deserve
death and which don't? Surely that
could depend on a persons own
moral viewpoint. Just because
someone is anti death penalty
doesn't mean they think murderers
and rapists should have a great
life.

I disagree with the first part of your thread! Prison in the uk IS almost like a holiday camp! Prior to lo I dealt with alot of repeat offenders who would say they commit crime to go back to jail as it's there comfort zone. They get fed, watered, watch sky tv, play snooker, play with xbox have acess to the Internet and can get qualifications!!! Some of us have to pay for most of that!!! They openly admit to me prison is easy and they enjoy it!!! Just shows you it's not enough what's wrong in today's society!! X

But just because prisoners are provided with warmth and a bed does not mean that it is by any means a comfortable life! I think people forget how fundamental personal freedom is to happiness and these people have absolutely no personal freedom whatsoever, which they obviously deserve. Plus the constant threat of rape/gang violence/being killed and isolation.
And as I said before capital
punishment is actually more of an
expense to the taxpayer than
lifelong imprisonment. You cannot
base justice on the emotions of the
victims, where would you draw the
line? Which murders deserve
death and which don't? Surely that
could depend on a persons own
moral viewpoint. Just because
someone is anti death penalty
doesn't mean they think murderers
and rapists should have a great
life.

I disagree with the first part of your thread! Prison in the uk IS almost like a holiday camp! Prior to lo I dealt with alot of repeat offenders who would say they commit crime to go back to jail as it's there comfort zone. They get fed, watered, watch sky tv, play snooker, play with xbox have acess to the Internet and can get qualifications!!! Some of us have to pay for most of that!!! They openly admit to me prison is easy and they enjoy it!!! Just shows you it's not enough what's wrong in today's society!! X

This isn't true of every prison.

People who would rather live in prison than be free are institutionalised, which has nothing to do with how comfortable prison life is. You dont think that prisoners should be fed, watered, allowed to gain qualifications? What happens when they get out then, they still offer no contribution to society and if they are denied access to Internet and tv during their entire sentence then they are going to be even more out of touch and alienated from society. Freedom is an integral part of happiness and even if they are allowed to play video games and watch tv they still don't have that. Plus the whole 'prison is a holiday camp' thing is largely bullshit created by extremely un-credible tabloid newspapers.

I think its sad that repeat petty offenders say that prison is their comfort zone. It's doesn't make me assume that prison is great, it makes me think that their outside lives must be awful.

I watched the show and it hasn't changed my opinion on death row, my opinion on the death sentence is not from me as a mum, wife or sister but a fellow human being and as long as I strongly believe in human rights I'll never agree with it.

I always find these shows depressing, vast numbers of people locked up in a prison away from society because that is the only way we seem to know how to deal with crime. Prison and the people in it are a symptom of a much bigger problem, it's very easy to condemn and judge as long as we don't see ourselves as part of that problem.

Prisons in uk are like this the only time it's not is when a prisoner is in solitary confidment. Prison should be something that offenders should not want to go back to!! I agree with providing after care to thoes who are willing and want to change there ways but unfortunately there are a large number of offenders who are repeat offenders and to be honest find it hard to have a "normal" life outside the prison walls!!

Sometimes human rights gets in the way of how
these offenders get to spend there sentence! To me we are too soft in the uk! Death row can be very extreme but I think that we need to tighten our belt a bit here!! X

Prisons in uk are like this the only time it's not is when a prisoner is in solitary confidment. Prison should be something that offenders should not want to go back to!! I agree with providing after care to thoes who are willing and want to change there ways but unfortunately there are a large number of offenders who are repeat offenders and to be honest find it hard to have a "normal" life outside the prison walls!!

Sometimes human rights gets in the way of how
these offenders get to spend there sentence! To me we are too soft in the uk! Death row can be very extreme but I think that we need to tighten our belt a bit here!! X

I've spoken to people who have been locked up. They didn't think it was a holiday camp. Not everyone has the same experience.

I think its sad that repeat petty offenders say that prison is their comfort zone. It's doesn't make me assume that prison is great, it makes me think that their outside lives must be awful.

:thumbup:

Is there any statistical proof that countries with less human rights, harsher prisons and the death penalty even have lower reoffending rates?

It may have worked for them! But I'm very sceptical about it! Like I said the justice system is terrible and it takes a alot here in the uk for an offender to get the jail! Unfortunatley in my experience I've come across very few who have spent time in prison once and turned there lifes around as a result and I know this can happen but I've yet to see it!!

I agree with that old motto "you commit the crime you do the time" just wish it was worth while!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->