interesting article in the paper today

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Too funny.

I think I'll write a column about the moon being a planet. Because I'm sure I can do a study and find similarities between planets and the moon.

Wow :confused:

Whatever happened to taking in a thought, rolling it around your head a little, thinking about how many angles the thing has, and how they sit against your previous knowledge, then just walking away and leaving it at 'interesting'.

But if everyone did that, I'd have nothing to read at 1am:haha::haha:

Wow :confused:

Whatever happened to taking in a thought, rolling it around your head a little, thinking about how many angles the thing has, and how they sit against your previous knowledge, then just walking away and leaving it at 'interesting'.

But if everyone did that, I'd have nothing to read at 1am:haha::haha:

:D too true!!!

I really don't like how this thread was started but on previous page are we now squabbling over smilies? haha

I really did not realise there are that many overweight/obese/'fatso' children about. My school aged children have been to two schools and there was none in the first school, and one maybe two overweight children (there school has 400 children so imo that is a low percentage of children) in the school they are in now. And yet I live in an area that would be considered high risk for it (please don't shout at me when I list them just going on what I heard and remember I fall into a lot of these categories too so don't mean to offend), we are highly populated with the majority of people on low incomes, few people go on to higher education, young parents, low social class, mostly social housing etc etc (you get my point), the reason I bring up all these things is they point to women who are less likely to BF (again don't be offended, I am not saying all) and yes the BF rate in my area is low and also more likely to wean earlier, so how come the obesity/overweight thing is so low in my area if it so high nationally (of course you don't know just wondering as it deffo isn't 25% here)?

I really don't like how this thread was started but on previous page are we now squabbling over smilies? haha

:haha::haha::haha: I skipped the last page cos I lost my concentration so went back to read, thats funny. It does prove though even the smallest thing can be misunderstood because it is just text.

I really did not realise there are that many overweight/obese/'fatso' children about. My school aged children have been to two schools and there was none in the first school, and one maybe two overweight children (there school has 400 children so imo that is a low percentage of children) in the school they are in now. And yet I live in an area that would be considered high risk for it (please don't shout at me when I list them just going on what I heard and remember I fall into a lot of these categories too so don't mean to offend), we are highly populated with the majority of people on low incomes, few people go on to higher education, young parents, low social class, mostly social housing etc etc (you get my point), the reason I bring up all these things is they point to women who are less likely to BF (again don't be offended, I am not saying all) and yes the BF rate in my area is low and also more likely to wean earlier, so how come the obesity/overweight thing is so low in my area if it so high nationally (of course you don't know just wondering as it deffo isn't 25% here)?

Possibly the reason people do not 'see' the over weight children is becuase the tolerance of weight has increased over the years - but that doesn't mean it is healthy!
Just like adult weights have slowly crept up, and the 'average' size for a woman has gone up (from 12 to 14 in about 10 years!!!) , and more and more adults are over weight and obese - but becuase it seems more of the norm then it doesn't stand out so much.

What some people think of as rolls of puppy fat and a round belly are not good for children.

I am trying to think how to word this. I would say that all bar the two children I mentioned have healthy BMI's, I obviously do not know for sure but in their school it is slim to skinny, I do not see children with rolls of fat, all my children have healthy BMI's and the other children are in proportion with them. Does that make sense? I do not mean they are all the same size and shape but generally their height matches their weight.

I am trying to think how to word this. I would say that all bar the two children I mentioned have healthy BMI's, I obviously do not know for sure but in their school it is slim to skinny, I do not see children with rolls of fat, all my children have healthy BMI's and the other children are in proportion with them. Does that make sense? I do not mean they are all the same size and shape but generally their height matches their weight.

I know what you mean :)

Maybe the schools near me have have the over weight ones instead! The two schools down the road are in the areas which (as you listed previously) are lower earners, lower education level etc etc...and there are so many chubby children in the primary schools, not so bad in the secondary school in town though!

we are highly populated with the majority of people on low incomes, few people go on to higher education, young parents, low social class, mostly social housing etc etc (you get my point), the reason I bring up all these things is they point to women who are less likely to BF (again don't be offended, I am not saying all) and yes the BF rate in my area is low and also more likely to wean earlier, so how come the obesity/overweight thing is so low in my area if it so high nationally (of course you don't know just wondering as it deffo isn't 25% here)?
Reading the study, it did note that low income and poor education were not the biggest factors in obese or overweight children. But were more likely to result in unhealthy children. The study also noted that the majority of children in the overweight category were actually found to be healthier than those from these socio-economic backgrounds who were not over weight.

The study does make compelling reading, and as I said earlier, they were clear that the results were observations on which further study should be made, rather than proving any causal link.

Thinking on though - I'm not sure it mentioned breastfeeding. Lisa, did you see it in there?

Reading the study, it did note that low income and poor education were not the biggest factors in obese or overweight children. But were more likely to result in unhealthy children. The study also noted that the majority of children in the overweight category were actually found to be healthier than those from these socio-economic backgrounds who were not over weight.

I was just going to say... When I was in school (don't ask ;)) it was usually fairly even between the really rich spoilt kids and the ones who had very little (bar sky and lots of toys!)

Actually we ate badly... the era of findus crispy pancakes :dohh: but we didn't eat *alot* Gah, there was only so much mince an onions one small child can face :sick:

Actually we ate badly... the era of findus crispy pancakes :dohh: but we didn't eat *alot* Gah, there was only so much mince an onions one small child can face :sick:
Remember the cheese ones which tasted like feet:haha:

we are highly populated with the majority of people on low incomes, few people go on to higher education, young parents, low social class, mostly social housing etc etc (you get my point), the reason I bring up all these things is they point to women who are less likely to BF (again don't be offended, I am not saying all) and yes the BF rate in my area is low and also more likely to wean earlier, so how come the obesity/overweight thing is so low in my area if it so high nationally (of course you don't know just wondering as it deffo isn't 25% here)?

The study does make compelling reading, and as I said earlier, they were clear that the results were observations on which further study should be made, rather than proving any causal link.

Thinking on though - I'm not sure it mentioned breastfeeding. Lisa, did you see it in there?

There was very little mention of BF in the MCS 3 guide, just about that some groups like Asians were more likely to BF blah blah

I can't see the Guide to MCS 4 though which was the 2008 study, data was supposed to be finalised end of 2009 - I am hoping that is made available soon, as that is what these latest articles have been based on - so it would be great to be able to see the guide etc rather than just the main findings that they released!

Remember the cheese ones which tasted like feet:haha:

Yeah in fact thats why we weren't obese as kids - our dinners were minging!:haha: :haha:

Meals (a hundred years ago when I was wee) were not child friendly like some of the crap available now. It was one sausage, a MOUNTAIN of boiled potatoes then back out to play until the lamposts came on :cloud9:- oh and angel delight on a friday :haha:

I haven't read the study yet - thanks for the link but my understanding of the early weaning as a problem was less of a physiological implication and more one of attitudes towards food education.

Things I have read previously implied that [EXCLUDING MEDICAL REASONS!!!!] parents who did not follow recommended guidelines would be reluctant to do so later on in the child life when it comes to nutritional education and refusing treats etc. Will see if I still have any of the journal articles and link later on.

I personally am petrified of weaning, why? Because I feel that I will be so thrilled that he is eating that I will keep shovelling it in willy nilly. :blush:

I, and most of my family are on the larger side and although I wasn't a big child - I remeber the abuse that other kids took and would hate that for my boy.

Lets not fight though ladies :thumbup:-only a little thumb :rofl::winkwink:

Yeah in fact thats why we weren't obese as kids - our dinners were minging!:haha: :haha:

Meals (a hundred years ago when I was wee) were not child friendly like some of the crap available now. It was one sausage, a MOUNTAIN of boiled potatoes then back out to play until the lamposts came on :cloud9:- oh and angel delight on a friday :haha:

I haven't read the study yet - thanks for the link but my understanding of the early weaning as a problem was less of a physiological implication and more one of attitudes towards food education.

Things I have read previously implied that [EXCLUDING MEDICAL REASONS!!!!] parents who did not follow recommended guidelines would be reluctant to do so later on in the child life when it comes to nutritional education and refusing treats etc. Will see if I still have any of the journal articles and link later on.

I personally am petrified of weaning, why? Because I feel that I will be so thrilled that he is eating that I will keep shovelling it in willy nilly. :blush:

I, and most of my family are on the larger side and although I wasn't a big child - I remeber the abuse that other kids took and would hate that for my boy.

Lets not fight though ladies :thumbup:-only a little thumb :rofl::winkwink:

Fish and chips once a month if we were good and as a treat we could eat in on our knees in the living room. Changed days indeed.

I think you're right about education. (lol, I started making an example using BF v FF but thought better of it!) Mums who choose the easier options when feeding their babies and toddlers (ready meals, ready jars, packet snacks) are more likely to choose the faster food options when they get older. Anyone who has spent an evening or several peeling and chopping and pureeing vegetables and fruit is more likely to make mince and tatties or throw together a lasagne when their children are older. I'm personally looking forward to Abby getting on to proper meals as it will be far simpler than what we have to do just now.:haha:

I was pertified for weaning - I was afraid she would choke.

It was one sausage, a MOUNTAIN of boiled potatoes then back out to play until the lamposts came on :cloud9:- oh and angel delight on a friday :haha:

:rofl:

It wasn't just me who came in with the lamposts then!

Angel Delight... such heaven back then... seemingly yuck now.

:rofl:

It wasn't just me who came in with the lamposts then!

Angel Delight... such heaven back then... seemingly yuck now.

My mum used to whistle to us and we would come in. To this day, if I hear that whistle I turn round. One year I was on holiday in Norfolk and I heard the whistle, turned round and was amazed to see it was actually her!

Dunno about Angel Delight, we used to get the cheap "Fine Fare" yellow lable knock off. It was pretty good though.

Ahhh, remember Fine Fare???

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
over35tryin
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->