Interesting Article

Equreuil

Reaction score
Mama likes to drink jokes

A friend of mine shared this on facebook. And while the tone of the article kind of gave me mixed feelings, it is thought provoking.

Basically, it talks about the way pop culture jokes about and makes light of binge drinking makes it seem okay, or even encourages, people to do so. But it mostly focuses on the jokes that focus on moms who drink.

I fully agree that alcoholism is not something to joke about. My father had a problem while I was growing up and I've always been wary of over-doing it. And I can see the point of how some of the merchandise that's mentioned (water bottles that say "there's a chance this is vodka" for example) does make light of a serious problem.

On the other hand, after a long day of non-stop screaming and fussing, if I crack of joke along the lines of "is it wine o'clock, yet?" and then follow it up with a drink after the baby's in bed - is it really that bad?

I do agree with this part..
The ‘funny’ one-liners are negative messages that can give moms with an alcohol problem the ‘green light’ for them to continue their behavior.

I find the same when jokes about overeating come up on Facebook, I lightheartedly use it to justify my own overeating, "well look at that, I can't be all that bad" (I'm writing this while plowing through a packet of custard creams :blush:). However they're not encouraging me, I'm an adult and make my own choices, the same with those who drink a glass of wine or two of an evening. If someone has an alcohol problem, they'll find a way of justifying it with or without these comments.

I don't think daft jokes can be blamed for the problem though and they're often just that - jokes. I joke about 'wine o'clock' but I rarely drink!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->