Internet help!!

hayz_baby

Mummy to 3 boys!
Reaction score
I really don't know what to do and I'm hoping someone may have a better answer.. Uk btw x

When we lived in our old property we had a god awful internet connection. We were with sky at the time. (0.6 average) We were told nothing could be done so when fibre became available we went with plus net for fibre. They were the cheapest at the time and it meant we had Internet that we could actually use. Recently we moved. Now we have had ALOT of issues with moving the internet to our house and plus net have kinda messed us around. My oh did a check on u switch and saw the internet where we moved to was still around 1-3 so we didn't want to risk having unusable internet again so when organising the home move we decided to stick to fibre optic. They have us speed estimates wen we did the home move and quoted us some rather high fibre speeds and the 1-3 bb speed. Anyway (they didn't actually tell us this and we hae had a lot of headache trying to sort this) it turns out we can't get fibre in our area. We were shocked as we saw people in our area with clearly fibre speeds. They then told us we could get it but their systems weren't updated then we were told we could only get it straightforward the property (instead of to cabinet) but that would mean digging up and long way and getting permission which is something we can't do in a rented property. My oh managed to find out from bt though that bt do offer fibre but they are the only one that have it in our sea and haven't released it to other providers. The problem is bt seem to charge the most for fibre and we are looking at another £10 for it. We finally got out bb today and did a speed test and we are worse then we were in our old property and it isn't loading absolutely anything. Speed test at 0.28.
I don't know what to do.. I know this slightly a first world problem but my oh is saying to cancel bb altogether as it isn't fit for purpose here and we will use our 3G. The cost of which will probably out weigh fibre. I don't know. I have had a real headache with the internet since moving and I don't know what todo. I just want something usuable. I'm not that fussed about super fast speeds but I won't something usable at a half decent price.
Anyone able to help at all??

Eta we are wired direct to the main phoneline

I know nothing about broadband speeds but if I was getting crap internet that I could improve for £10 then I would defo do ti

It's not for £10 it's £10 more.. It will cost around £40 a month.. Prob is I'm the breadwinner and I'm on mat leave soon.. :(

I knew what you ment, improving for an extra tenner, but I suppose it depends or circumstances. I would be inclined to do it more because you are going to be at home more lol

Wow those are some god awful speeds! Have you spoken to all companies?

I'm at it student, I need decent internet.

When we moved in, new build (9 years old now), big house (5 bed) and we're at the end of the road down sort of a cul de sac with one house and next to a park. So we're completely away from the box,

We couldn't get fibre optic until a year ago, so thankful.

Before that all we could get was 3-5 mBps, which is awful! If your 3G works better for you, I'd be inclined to do it... But only after speaking to each and every company. I.e bt line, sky line... If you call them they can do speed tests. X

I haven't spoken to them but done tests online and they all predict the same speeds. That's coz it's the same line no matter who you go with as it's the bt line. Virgin has their own lines but they have no cable services in my town (or very ltd) we just keep moving to areas with no decent broadband speeds. The funny thing is our friend who lives about a 15/20 min walk from us gets about 8meg.. It's crazy. With our old house it was because we lived to far away from the exchange. Bt won't put in a closer exchange as there is the option on fibre optic.
The prob is also that as we moved our rent has gone up so we are really trying to keep bills to a minimum.
I'm thinking about getting rid of sky and getting a you view box deal with bt. That will help save us some money.. As we can still have fibre and we will put the money we pay towards sky can go towards the package deal.we will loose out on channels tho.. Just a decision we may have to make.. Depends how annoyed my oh gets with the internet. Especially as he is an online gamer...

BT told me that if the speed is not meeting the quote given that they can come sort it out for you. I would ring and let them know and ask them to sort the lines out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->