Intravenous Penicillin

F

Fortune Cooki

Now that I'm GBS+ I just had to go and Google everything. I keep finding testimonials about how painful Penicillin is. Some people say it hurts more than the contractions. What's the deal? Have you had Penicillin intravenously? How was it? This won't deter me from taking it, as I want the best for my baby, but I want to be mentally prepared for an additional labor pain.

Because I've tested positive every time for GBS, I have had the intravenous antibiotics for my deliveries. It didn't cause any problems at all for me, no pain or anything. I have known several others who've had it and they've never mentioned pain, either. Try not to worry!

Hmm, interesting. I posted this same thread on a different forum and most people there mentioned that it burned. Do you know if they added anything else to your IV? Lidocaine perhaps?

I had it with 2 of mine and it never caused any pain, burning, or stinging. As far as I was concerned, it didn't feel any different than the fluids.

For me it felt like my arm was burning. The nurse said the burning feeling is a fairly common reaction to the penicillin but obviously not something everyone experiences given the other posters had no pain. It was not that bad at all though.

idk about in an IV but I've had it in a shot form. it is not pleasant by any means but not unbearable pain. I would say the pain is a burning sensation close to that exposed nerve feeling when you use alcohol on a cut and then afterward the sight feels like extremely sore muscles. I always request penicillin when I get strep throat and have every time since I was around 10 years old. It was worth the pain for me to feel better sooner even that young. hopefully it turns out to be okay for you!

I had IV antibiotics for GBS in labour, I couldn't feel anything bar the tube in my hand.

I was GBS+ and wouldn't have even noticed the penicillin. Didn't hurt at all! Honestly I thought the fluids were worse because they smelled bad! :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->