Iron deficiency?

Munchkin30

1 DD,2 losses, Pregnant!!
Reaction score
Hey ladies,

I've been totally knackered the last week or two, and before that i was feeling a bit rough. Early on i had ridiculous cravings for red meat and burgers (not usually a fan) but soon went completely off burgers, now the idea makes me want to be sick!!

I'm not really eating meat, my appetite is all over the place but i've not put on any weight at all yet.

I've also got mouth ulcers now and everythings aching so i'm wondering if i've got an iron deficiency? I've bought some iron supplement liquid called spatone from boots that says it's safe in pregnancy, it says hi dose but you can take up to 2 sachets a day and each only contains 5mg. Doesn't sound like much. My prenatals have 17mg in too.

Anyone that's had it, do you think it sounds like iron deficiency? And what do you think would help??

Obv i should go to the drs and get tested but really haven't got time til next week so looking for a quicker plan!

Thanks ladies xxx

I have an iron defficiancy, I am on 210mg per day plus the dose that comes in my pregnacare. My symptoms when I am low are, feeling tired, no energy, even walking feels like hard work, legs feel heavy and I get headaches a lot.

I agree, you should def get yourself tested :)

Hmmm. Maybe time for a doctors appointment! Got a MW appointment coming up soon, do you think she'd do it??

My midwife always takes my blood for me (have to have thryroid tested every 6 weeks). I had an appointment last week and I mentioned that I felt very tired over the last week. She said shall we just check iron levels as she was taking blood anyway. I'm sure if you mention it to your midwife and ask she could check it. I'm sure my levels are just fine as they were spot on only 6 weeks previously, I wonder if baby is having a big growth spurt or something so therefore my body is working harder and its making me feel more tired. Thats my theory anyway.

My Dr. never told me how much more I needed (I became anemic) but my symptoms were tiredness (more than usual) and light headedness mostly.

I've been exhausted again lately so had bloods taken on Friday, just waiting for my results to come back.

I've recently bought Spatone and can't recommend it highly enough - it absorbs more efficiently without the side effects ie constipation. 2 sachets per day fine. I've been alternating my pregnacare to every other day for now as i feel my iron needs are more important temporarily - the iron in pregnacare is always useless to me.

Tiredness is always a bit symptom of iron deficiency, but it's only picked up from the blood tests. They told me after my 12 week blood work that I needed another test, where it was confirmed. On folic acid and iron at 220mg. See your m/w or GP for blood work if you're worried xxx

i was put on pregaday for being anaemic which tbh didnt really help the symptoms but they must do something because my iron count has gone up loads :) get yourself to docs/midwife just to check :)
xx

Hi, yes midwife always checks my bloods as I have under active thyroid & anaemia, that is how I was put onto the higher dose iron tabs :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->