Irrational Phobias?

Vomit. Actually, not vomit, the action of vomiting or other people doing it (can pass a puddle of sick in the street without going totally mad).

I was at an antenatal class yesterday and the woman sitting next to me said she felt sick so went off to the toilet. Unfortunately, you could hear everything so I had to sit with my fingers in my ears until DH gave me the nod that she had stopped. She came back and sat down and I spent the rest of the class feeling sick myself and being convinced she was going to do it again. Thankfully it happened towards the end of the class so once it was over I was out of there!!! I know in my rational mind that it's silly but I just can't help it and think it started with listening to my Dad chucking up most weekends as a kid as he used to get migraines quite often.

Now panicking about feeling/being sick in labour as I'm not sure I'll cope with it very well!! Thankfully I haven't had any sickness throughout pregnancy! :blush:

This is going to sound really stupid, but that's my fair warning to you.

I'm not terrified of the dark. I'm only terrified of the dark in ONE room. And that's the bathroom. When I was little, I had a nightmare that my older sister locked me in the dark bathroom, and while I was screaming to be let out, a bunch of little blue alien men came up through the toilet to kidnap me. To this day, I am absolutely terrified of being in a dark bathroom. I hyperventilate and nearly faint every time. If I'm showering and hubby turns out the light when he leaves the bathroom, I come uncorked and scream and cry until he turns it back on.
I was once in a public restroom, completely alone, in a stall, when the automatic lights decided there was no one there and switched off. I was only a little girl, maybe 10, and my father could hear me screaming outside the door in the supermarket. Because it was the women's restroom, and he could see the light had been turned off, he sent my sister in to turn the lights back on so I could finish. It was humiliating.

What's odd is that 15 years later, I was telling my husband about this dream, only for him to tell me he had a similar dream, but in his nightmare, they were green monsters instead of blue aliens, and he wasn't as scarred as I was by the nightmare.

I forgot to mention that I also don't like seaweed, and often won't swim somewhere where I can't see the bottom where I'm standing. I think I have watched one too many crime shows because I am terrified of stepping on the body of a murder victim. Silly, I know, but I just can't bring myself to step where I can't see what my foot will touch. Especially near seaweed or occluded water.

To add to that, I fear drowning, as well. And before I was pregnant, I managed a public swimming pool!! I have a metation cd that asks the listeners to imagine themselves sitting at the bottom of a pool and let their thoughts escape like air bubbles up to the surface. I have to instead imagine I'm sitting near a swiftly moving, very clear river and watch my thoughts go by me as leaves on the water's surface. The scene in the movie The Guardian where Ashton Kutcher's character sits on the bottom of the pool for like, four minutes gives me the creeps!!!

I have a phobia of shar pei dogs (not all that irrational as have been badly bitten by them in the past but this breed in particular) and the fear of eating the ends of bananas in case spiders have made a nest in them! :blush:

Im terrified of the action of vomiting too :nope: when im sick i need to put my fingers over my ears and nostrils at the same time - i look like an utter madwoman but i cant bear it!!

xo

Moths, vomiting and Greys (aliens).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back