Irregular Shaped Gestational Sac.. Please help!

beclou94

Reaction score
So, I'll try and keep this as short as I can..

I was taken to the EPU yesterday with a small bleed and cramps. They took my bloods, examined my cervix and did a scan. The cervix examination was good, still closed so doesn't look like I'm miscarrying. The bloods came back at 2006 HCG, which seems about right for where I am. However, the scan wasn't so good. They saw a Gestational Sac with nothing inside, which is okay as they said it could just be too early to see a Yolk Sac or anything yet. However, my Gestational Sac is abnormally shaped. Instead of being circular, it's more oval. The nurse I spoke to yesterday said that is isn't a good sign, and usually means things aren't forming as they should be. When I rang today though, the nurse seemed more positive and said it's too early to say and could resolve.

My question is, has anyone else had this? What was your outcome? I'm devastated, and spent yesterday in tears. I just want answers and waiting it out is so hard. I have to go back for more bloods tomorrow to see if my levels have risen as they should, I have to do that every other day for the next week and then have a rescan. X

Edit to add: My bleeding has stopped completely now, wasn't much at all just a bit of spotting.

I did have this and unfortunately it didn't end well. It was found with a baby that had a beating heart at 8 weeks. At my next scan at 12 weeks it looked like the baby had died shortly after the 8 week scan. I'm sorry you are having to experience this I hope it has a happier ending for you x x

Hey Beclou!
I had irregular shaped gestational sac with my DD who is now 1.2 years, happy & healthy. I will try to attach the images of an US done at 10 weeks pregnant.

I am pregnant with#2 now, only 7 weeks and dr saw another irregularly shaped gestational sac, but with a baby & heartbeat, just couple of days ago (I also will try to attach the image here). She didnt seem too concerned about it, but told me to get as much rest as possible, drink lots of water and also prescribed some muscle relaxant to subdue the cramps (from what I understand, the irregular shaped sac is caused by cramps which can cause early miscarriage?)

Please try to relax, not lift heavy things and drink. If need be, maybe change a doctor? It just seems weird to me that they said those things so early on. How many weeks are you by the way?

Hope this helps, and glad to hear that bleeding stopped. It can be very scary

68959571_2580405258647777_8370691097248137216_o.jpg 69791303_2580404241981212_5258394512794845184_o.jpg

Here is my scan from couple of days ago at 6w4D
Oh, I am also on progesterone suppositories to support a healthy pregnancy, my level was pretty low and I have trouble conceiving naturally, so I am monitored with weekly scan and doctors visit.
Have you got your progesterone level checked?

69300634_712432289206065_341781694845550592_n.jpg

Thank you very much, that's really helpful and comforts me a little more.
A little update, I went back to the hospital for more bloods yesterday, and in just under 48 hours they had more than doubled. The midwife said this was a very good sign, and means things are progressing as they should. She has told me to take it easy, and booked me in for a scan next Monday. Praying we see our baby, and everything is going well. My sac looked a lot like yours does now HopeBT, but a little longer if that makes sense? It was deffo more oval than round. They took my blood levels, but didn't mention that anything had come back as a concern so I'm guessing they're all okay. X

No experience in this. I had a Misscarige at almost 11 weeks and my gestational sac was normol.
I really hope everything works out for you.

UPDATE - Had our scan this morning, and here is our little bean. Heartbeat flickering away. :cloud9: We're overjoyed. So relieved. All those tears, and all that worrying for no reason! Looks like we have a little fighter already. Measuring 5 weeks, 6 days. Xx

69369130_921695241540004_774906915896426496_o.jpg

So happy to hear that Beclou! Our gestational sacs do really look similar in shape!
I am 8 weeks today and everything seem to be going ok (knocking on wood)
On my latest scan (7w3d), the doc didn`t comment at all on the sac shape even though it still looked more oval than circular. She said all looked good, and another scan at 9w3d, so we will see
Did your dr comment at all about the sac shape again?

So happy to hear that Beclou! Our gestational sacs do really look similar in shape!
I am 8 weeks today and everything seem to be going ok (knocking on wood)
On my latest scan (7w3d), the doc didn`t comment at all on the sac shape even though it still looked more oval than circular. She said all looked good, and another scan at 9w3d, so we will see
Did your dr comment at all about the sac shape again?

Thank you everyone! :)

Nope, wasn't mentioned at all yesterday. I don't know why it was made out to be such a massive problem at my first scan really? I guess it's something they see sometimes when the pregnancy is failing, but the nurse made it sound like I would miscarry! I really wouldn't worry. X

What are the sacs supposed to look like?? Because I just looked at my 8 weeks ultrasound and mine is very oval/bean shaped at that point. My OB never said anything about it. And I’m 19 weeks now.

So glad all is well hon

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->