Is 10 Weeks too early...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by MummyMagic, Dec 17, 2009.

1. MummyMagic

MummyMagic Well-Known Member

for a dating scan. I've been given a follow up appointment by the EPU due to my earlier problems in pregnancy and it replaces my dating scan. It's for 21st (Monday!) I'm very excited but also wondering if this is a bit too early for my dating scan? xx

2. ladypotter

ladypotter Three Girls!!!

If it is simply to "date" the pregnancy, then no...I don't think so. But if they are going to check measurements of the baby for any possible conditions such as our NT scan (where they look for Downs and other markers) then it is about a week to early. My NT scan is being done at 12wks, but they can start in the 11th week normally.

3. MummyMagic

Thanks hun, I think it's just dating and to check that the baby's healthy. They don't do the Nuchal scan on the NHS where I live, you have to pay for that privately which I probably will do before I'm 14 weeks xx

4. mightyspu

mightyspu No life since Aug 2009...

I had a (private) dating scan at just over 8 weeks, we saw a grey blob with a heartbeat!

5. AP

AP Well-Known Member

No. Here where I live, (North UK!)anything before 10 weeks is just a viability scan.
    10 - 12/13 weeks is counted as your dating scan.

6. alibaba24

alibaba24 Well-Known Member

Hey! I didnt get the nt scan they dont do it in my area so i actually had my dating scan at 9+5!! They didnt seem to think this a problem as it was only to date the pregnancy as opposed to measuring fluid (think thats what they do on nt scan) etc :)

xx

7. MummyMagic

Just phoned the scanning department and they said that they usually do a dating scan between 8 - 12 weeks so I will be fine, as they only do NT scans privately where I live xx

8. vicwick

vicwick Expecting baba #2

I had my dating scan with DS1 at 10 weeks :thumbup: was great could see him jumping around and everything.

9. emsiee

emsiee Mum of 2

No its not too early hun. I had a private dating scan at 10 weeks (but I was actually 11) :) bub was virtually fully formed!

Companies do a dating scan anywhere between 7 and 12 weeks.

10. beachlover1

beachlover1 Pregnant and mummy of one

yep, 10 to 13 in my area is a dating scan. you will be fine xx

11. RHR

RHR Mummy 2 Isabelle & Sophie

I had my dating scan when I was 8 weeks. It's was amazing to see especially as it's my first baby.

If we wanted to find out our chances of having a DS baby we have to pay for it privately. We've decided not to do this and see what pops out at the end instead of spending the rest of my pregnancy worrying and deal with what ever happens when the baby is born.

12. scrummy mummy

scrummy mummy Baby number 3 on board x

i just had a dating scan yesterday it was amazing and spot on dates :happydance: all the best for your scan hun x

13. lvh05

lvh05 Stick, baby, stick!!

No, I had a dating scan at 5+6. We saw and heard the heartbeat, and saw the blobby floating around. It was pretty amazing.

Just had my 2nd scan at 9 wks, and baby grew textbook, to the day. So, obviously, the first time was a pretty good date!

They're not always 100% accurate, but judging by heart rate (it starts at around 80-103 bpm at 5 wks, climbing up to 140-190 at wk 9, then it levels off and goes down to 120-160 bpm), the crown to rump ratio, and doing thermals, they can tell what bones are forming, how far advanced the spine is, etc. and that allows for a pretty accurate date.

Good luck!!! My 6 wk was cool, because it was just a blob, and my 9 wk, it looked like a baby! So, that was neat. You'll love every minute, mama!