is 13oz big for 20 weeks??

jessica2509

Reaction score
Hi,

I had my 20 week scan today and everything was good. Just before we left the room the sonographer said he/she was 13oz. This has now freaked me out as everywhere i've looked up on the internet (apart from my Miriam Stoppard book lol) says average weight is 10.5oz.

I already have a girl who was 6lbs 4oz when born and a son who was 7lbs 11oz. I have two questions:

1. Is my baby particularly big for the age of it?
2. Is it more likely to be a boy as it appears to be above average weight for its age?

I purposely asked the girl to stay away from the boy/girl bits as i don't want to know the sex til it's born, but am now convinced it's a boy as it is a larger weight.

Can anyone please put my mind at rest if you've had a girl at a similar weight at 20 weeks, or if you think the weight/gender is not a very scientific way of guessing boy or girl!!

Thank you

x
ps. am driving my husband insane, so appreciate any comments!! xx

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure both of our boys were at least that big at 20 weeks. They're both above the 50th percentile, but that doesn't mean they were out of "normal" range. There is a huge range for normal.

im having a boy and at 20 weeks he weighed 11oz it must be a boy thing

My 20 week scan measured in at 15 oz!!! I, like you, looked it up too, lol. My doc isn't worried. Babies grow differently, US aren't always accurate and my first son was 8lb 8oz. I haven't given it a second thought:) Don't worry!

I had my scan today and LO is 13oz too. I'm not worried like previous posters said. Babies grow at a different rate so I wouldn't worry

Not an indicator of sex, most people have bigger babies as they go so it could be a big girl. Or they could have been wrong, at this stage an ultrasound can be quite a bit off. Also, baby could have just went through a growth spurt and may not even grow much over the next few days you just caught it on a big day.

My boy is only 8 oz at 18 weeks 3 days and he will likely be 10 pounds as my first was.

Baby measured 13oz for me at my 20 week scan :)

Wow... I was told my little boy was right around 1 pound (16 oz) at my 20wk scan, though t they didn't say anything about it being a lot or anything.

After reading this I feel like maybe it is and I'm gonna be squeezing a pretty big baby out here in about 4 months. lol. I just wish I had a more obvious bump to show for it, already!

Mine was 10 oz at that stage, came out a healthy 7 lb 7oz baby. I don't think your baby will be huge, its just a few oz different. The measurment can be a little off too

At my 20 week scan she said baby was about 10oz and was measuring a little small but at thia stage, anything can happen and I could come back in a month and baby could be measuring ahead of due date.

For my 20 week scan I went in thinking I was going to be 19 weeks 6 ended up being 20 weeks 4. We found out we are having a little girl and she weighted 12 oz and is completely fine so far.

So, 13oz at 20 weeks doesn't rule out a girl then??? I just assumed as it seemed above average it would be a boy!! (I'd love another little girl, but more than happy with another boy) x

I think the internet size estimates(my app also said 10.5 was average at 20 weeks) are off. My baby measured 11oz at 19 weeks 6 days. He is in the 36th percentile for growth. 13oz is not particularly large for 20 weeks, but probably a bit above 50th percentile. At this stage size isn't really a good indicator of sex either.

US is a very poor estimate of weight at any point there have been countless numbers of women told to expect a 9lb+ baby just to have on thats 7 1/2 lbs, and likewise people told to expect a 7lber and out pops a 10lber days later. had they done a US to determine ds2's weight i would have been told to expect an 8lb baby when he was born at 10lb 12oz, simply because the measurement they use since they cant get accurate lenght when baby is all curled up is the chest measurement and he was quite normal around the chest and abdomen he was just super long

US is a very poor estimate of weight at any point there have been countless numbers of women told to expect a 9lb+ baby just to have on thats 7 1/2 lbs, and likewise people told to expect a 7lber and out pops a 10lber days later. had they done a US to determine ds2's weight i would have been told to expect an 8lb baby when he was born at 10lb 12oz, simply because the measurement they use since they cant get accurate lenght when baby is all curled up is the chest measurement and he was quite normal around the chest and abdomen he was just super long

They also figure in arm and leg lengths, so that should account for a long baby (at least my MFM does) and head circumference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->