Is a c-section giving "birth"?

x__amour

Mommy.
Reaction score
I saw a status on Facebook where someone was saying that women who had c-sections never gave birth.
What do you think? Opinions? :flower:

Me, personally. I think having a c-section is as much as giving birth as to a regular vaginal birth.

Of course it is... It's giving birth regardless of the way LO came out...

I hope so. I was so disappointed when I ended up having an EMCS. For weeks afterwards I felt a bit of a failure ad felt that I hadn't 'given birth'

16 weeks on I am totally over it. He is here and he is healthy and that is far more important than the kind of birth I had :)

well the mother isnt giving birth, the doctors are

because without them the mother wouldnt be able to "give birth"

What else would they call it? Hatching?

:rofl:

I don't feel like I did anything less than "give birth"

I was in labor for 30 hours, intended on going natural but my LO was stuck and I had a fever and an infection when I finally went to EMCS.

The pain for weeks was very bad, I felt like my guts were going to fall out every time I got up for 2 weeks.

That is an awful thing to say and just another example of the "mommy wars".....my LO's head was stuck at a tilt and she refused to descend, back in the day we both would have succumbed and died eventually.

if someone had the nerve to tell me i didn't "give birth" i would tell them to get fucked or punch them in the face

Personally, I find it really insulting for people to say that by having a section you're not giving birth to your baby. I really don't think it's anyone's place to say this- it's our baby, in our body who we give birth too, via a different place. How rude of your friend. Pah :(

well the mother isnt giving birth, the doctors are

because without them the mother wouldnt be able to "give birth"

Of course the mother is giving birth, just with a bit of medical help. It's like someone saying that if you have a ventouse / forceps delivery you're not giving birth, you are- with a bit of necessary medical assistance

:haha:

I know some argue that since the mother never pushed and didn't have a vaginal birth, they didn't "give birth".
Doesn't make much sense to me personally. :shrug:

This is the original status:
"C-sections are like the DiGiorno of pregnancy, because it's NOT delivery ;)"

Of course it is! How would a child be born if they weren't given birth to? They didn't materialise out of nowhere. It's just a different type of delivery tis all. Do women who need interventions such as ventouse or forceps not give birth either? Ridiculous notion!

I hate C section snobs. They're as mean as the breastfeeding nazis. (and this is coming from a mama who had a vaginal delivery and exclusively breast feeds).

Whatever possessed your friend to put up such a silly status update anyway?

It was 'birthed' from the inside to the outside of the body. Who cares which opening it came out of, natural or man made?

I didn't mean to offend but I voted no, to me the phrase giving birth refers to a vaginal delivery. To me it is purely a way to describe a birth but I can understand why it's a bit more emotive for some people. Just explaining my 'no' didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

Oh, we call that Delicissio here in Canada :rofl:

And to that, I argue that Delicissio/Digiorno is usually better than many local delivery pizzas, therefore being Digiorno is something to be rather proud of. It still takes work, you still gotta go to the store, buy it, unwrap it, deal with the leftovers, just a different method to get the same end result.

I'm not sure anyone in the UK will understand what I'm going on about, sorry. Unless you guys have that too.

I think the pain of a c section counts enough towards the labour pain counter...so yes...c section = giving birth!

:haha:

I know some argue that since the mother never pushed and didn't have a vaginal birth, they didn't "give birth".
Doesn't make much sense to me personally. :shrug:

This is the original status:
"C-sections are like the DiGiorno of pregnancy, because it's NOT delivery ;)"

It just makes me laugh, why would this ever need to come up anyway. Whose interest is it in to argue whether the mother gives birth or not, just another ridiculous way of putting mums down.

And another thing- mothers shouldn't feel like less of a mom because of the way LO came out. Vaginal, c-section, needed assistance, whatever... It's all giving birth. I had a vaginal delivery with a 2nd degree tear and stitches and I have a lot of respect for c-section moms because I heard they're in pain for a lot longer.

the OB even let me try to push, she was only humoring me as she had what felt like her whole hand inside me and could not find crown of baby's head. after 30 hrs I had dilated to 10 cm but LO somehow never came down.

i was bummed for weeks at not getting a vaginal. seeing things or hearing things like that status hurt

It is giving birth, it just a different experience if giving birth :)

XxX

I think that a really silly thing to say. How would your Friend describe it if not giving birth? X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->