Is anyone a Catholic? I have a really stupid but urgent question!

emyandpotato

Reaction score
I have an exam tomorrow, second year of uni, and you know when you know all the really complex stuff and then you realise there's something really basic that you're not sure about? Well that's me right now and I feel an idiot :dohh:

I was just wondering whether the sacraments, apart from baptism, are essential for personal salvation? I know it's such a dumb question but my mind is blank and I can find nothing on google giving a clear yes or no! Sorry for asking on here but it's a last resort.

I am Catholic… but I am no expert despite my many years of catholic schools! However, I would say no? I don't think they are necessary for salvation according to Catholics. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong! I really never heard much about "salvation" honestly. It seems like the protestant religions focus more on salvation.

Are you studying religion or just a religion class? Just curious.

I am Catholic… but I am no expert despite my many years of catholic schools! However, I would say no? I don't think they are necessary for salvation according to Catholics. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong! I really never heard much about "salvation" honestly. It seems like the protestant religions focus more on salvation.

Are you studying religion or just a religion class? Just curious.

Religion :dohh: And I don't know the most basic of things! In fairness I spent most of the time focusing on the other religions as I was kidding myself that I knew Christianity from A level study.

Not a dumb question, the sacraments are confusing!
Basically, baptism is the only sacrament deemed essential for personal salvation. It can be baptism through water, the traditional baptism, or baptism through desire- for example someone who has a near death experience and feels that they have experienced God presence might have an instant desire to convert to Catholocism and in taking God to their heart they are deemed to have taken a baptism through desire (I'm not sure if I've explained that in a way that makes any sense!).
Anyway the other sacraments are considered important but how important depends on the person you ask really! But no one can take all of the sacraments- you couldn't take holy orders (be a priest and celibate) and get married (some priests convert from Church of England and are married but they can't be both celibate and have sex!). And not all Catholics are able to recieve the anointing of the sick (aka last rites)- if you dropped down dead of a heart attack whilst out shopping, for example. The annointing of the sick is considered more of a comfort rather than a requirement.
The others are considered (by most) to be things that you should do when appropriate- when you're old enough you're supposed to take your 1st communion, accept the sacrament of reconciliation (basically conersion, confession and celebration) and have your confirmation; they are renewed commitments you make to the church/God as you mature. Some people don't take confirmation for ages because they don't feel ready to commit to the faith as an adult and want to study it more, some go to confession once a year while others go each week before taking communion.

Not a dumb question, the sacraments are confusing!
Basically, baptism is the only sacrament deemed essential for personal salvation. It can be baptism through water, the traditional baptism, or baptism through desire- for example someone who has a near death experience and feels that they have experienced God presence might have an instant desire to convert to Catholocism and in taking God to their heart they are deemed to have taken a baptism through desire (I'm not sure if I've explained that in a way that makes any sense!).
Anyway the other sacraments are considered important but how important depends on the person you ask really! But no one can take all of the sacraments- you couldn't take holy orders (be a priest and celibate) and get married (some priests convert from Church of England and are married but they can't be both celibate and have sex!). And not all Catholics are able to recieve the anointing of the sick (aka last rites)- if you dropped down dead of a heart attack whilst out shopping, for example. The annointing of the sick is considered more of a comfort rather than a requirement.
The others are considered (by most) to be things that you should do when appropriate- when you're old enough you're supposed to take your 1st communion, accept the sacrament of reconciliation (basically conersion, confession and celebration) and have your confirmation; they are renewed commitments you make to the church/God as you mature. Some people don't take confirmation for ages because they don't feel ready to commit to the faith as an adult and want to study it more, some go to confession once a year while others go each week before taking communion.

Thank you so much, this is brilliant! I didn't end up mentioning it in the end but the more I know in general the better so this is really helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->