Is anyone else on bromocriptine for high prolactin?

Wow Goldstns, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! That's great news, I am so happy for you!!! You must be so pleased!!! Thank you for giving all of us hope that it can happen :D
Wishing you a very happy and healthy pregnancy!!!!! :dance:

Hi IW0609 :hi:
Its lovely to meet you!! I know what you mean, its hard to find others with our problem, it seems quite rare! I'm so sorry that you've been feeling depressed this week, it really sounds like you've been through a lot with your operation to have the tumour removed and being on the meds, I hope that your levels come down again soon, it sounds like you are on the right track if you've been getting positive opks this month.
My levels are around 60, but I have always ovulated. My cycles are regular but I always ovulate late and only have a 9 day LP,(due to low progesterone) so I am hoping that the Bromocriptine sorts this out. I am on 5mg a day, it made me sick at first but a week down the line I am coping really well.
Can I ask you how big your tumour was, and why they felt it best to remove it? Was it a big operation? I only ask because they never talked to me about it and I'm curious why I was never given the option. Good luck hun, I'd love to stay in touch x

Bea- I had a short LP and started taking 50mg of vit b complex. It worked right away and gave me 13 day LP. I recommend it.

Wow Goldstns, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! That's great news, I am so happy for you!!! You must be so pleased!!! Thank you for giving all of us hope that it can happen :D

Its lovely to meet you!! I know what you mean, its hard to find others with our problem, it seems quite rare! I'm so sorry that you've been feeling depressed this week, it really sounds like you've been through a lot with your operation to have the tumour removed and being on the meds, I hope that your levels come down again soon, it sounds like you are on the right track if you've been getting positive opks this month.
My levels are around 60, but I have always ovulated. My cycles are regular but I always ovulate late and only have a 9 day LP,(due to low progesterone) so I am hoping that the Bromocriptine sorts this out. I am on 5mg a day, it made me sick at first but a week down the line I am coping really well.
Can I ask you how big your tumour was, and why they felt it best to remove it? Was it a big operation? I only ask because they never talked to me about it and I'm curious why I was never given the option. Good luck hun, I'd love to stay in touch x

Well its nice to know you still ovulate with prolactin in the 60s. I was crushed to hear mine went back to 24. Im just hoping we can keep it down long enough to have a few cycles at least.

The operation isnt small, but i wouldnt say its a huge one either. They go through the nose, so no cutting of any sort. My tumor was 8mm. I have been on both bromo and cabergoline for 5 years...neither one even TOUCHED my tumor. My levels were somewhat controlled, but still in the 100s even on the meds. I would take 3 bromo pills at a time or 1 cabergoline each night (whichever med i was on at the time). Those are very high doses and my levels just wouldnt come down. So, my endo made me feel extremely comfortable about the operation. Its actually quite common and theyve pretty much perfected the procedure. My FS terrified me about it, however. It is considered brain surgery...but he was willing to send me to the top neurosurgeons in the country. That's great and all, but unnecessary. My surgeon was very confident about what he was doing. So anyways, I opted for the surgery because it was my last resort of trying to have a baby naturally...our next step is adoption. As i said, ive been ttc for 3 years without one single period. I never ovulated. My estrogen levels were at menopausal levels (-12). Now theyre in the 50s and my LH levels are coming up bc. Even though i goy a +opk, im not sure i released an egg. I think your estrogen levels are in the 200s when you O. Im thinking since my levels are coming up, thats why i got the +opks. Which is fine! At least something is happening now! Which makes the surgery completely worth it... i finally have some hope that i might just be able to conceive. At least i have more options now anyways. Before, my FS didnt even want me to take clomid, saying that bc of my prolactin levels, it wouldnt work. which it didnt. Sorry this is so long. I could talk about this stuff for days unfortunately. Its consumed my life for the past 5 years!!

Bea- I had a short LP and started taking 50mg of vit b complex. It worked right away and gave me 13 day LP. I recommend it.

Thanks hun, I think I will incorporate it in to my routine this month then :) thank you

Well its nice to know you still ovulate with prolactin in the 60s. I was crushed to hear mine went back to 24. Im just hoping we can keep it down long enough to have a few cycles at least.

The operation isnt small, but i wouldnt say its a huge one either. They go through the nose, so no cutting of any sort. My tumor was 8mm. I have been on both bromo and cabergoline for 5 years...neither one even TOUCHED my tumor. My levels were somewhat controlled, but still in the 100s even on the meds. I would take 3 bromo pills at a time or 1 cabergoline each night (whichever med i was on at the time). Those are very high doses and my levels just wouldnt come down. So, my endo made me feel extremely comfortable about the operation. Its actually quite common and theyve pretty much perfected the procedure. My FS terrified me about it, however. It is considered brain surgery...but he was willing to send me to the top neurosurgeons in the country. That's great and all, but unnecessary. My surgeon was very confident about what he was doing. So anyways, I opted for the surgery because it was my last resort of trying to have a baby naturally...our next step is adoption. As i said, ive been ttc for 3 years without one single period. I never ovulated. My estrogen levels were at menopausal levels (-12). Now theyre in the 50s and my LH levels are coming up bc. Even though i goy a +opk, im not sure i released an egg. I think your estrogen levels are in the 200s when you O. Im thinking since my levels are coming up, thats why i got the +opks. Which is fine! At least something is happening now! Which makes the surgery completely worth it... i finally have some hope that i might just be able to conceive. At least i have more options now anyways. Before, my FS didnt even want me to take clomid, saying that bc of my prolactin levels, it wouldnt work. which it didnt. Sorry this is so long. I could talk about this stuff for days unfortunately. Its consumed my life for the past 5 years!!

:hugs: It really seems like you've been through so much. Thank you for sharing your story with me. It must've been awful being on such high doses of the meds and your levels not coming down enough. I'm sorry for everything that you have been through.
Your levels are now 24, is anything under 29 ok? But I know that the lower the better, but hopefully at 24 you can still get regular cycles and ovulate?
My tumour is 5mm, so a little smaller than yours was but not much. I'm glad that the operation went well for you, and its great that they can do it through the nose, very clever.
I am so glad that you now have hope for conceiving naturally. The positive opks are a really good sign that things are starting to balance out for you now. Do you think your FS might start you on clomid now that your levels are lower? I really hope that things are working out for you now and you get your BFP soon, you really deserve that happiness after everything that you have been through. I understand what you mean about it consuming your life, ttc has consumed my life for the past year, its all I can think about!:blush:
Are you temping this month?x

Once on meds I ov-ed. As meds increased cycle length decreased to a steady about 35 day cycle. My prolactin level the month I conceived was 26...just wanted you'll to know it doesn't have to be super low.

Thx for sjsaring your story. Glad the procedure was bearable. I wish u luck!!

thanks goldstns :) you definitely give me hope! ive been told normal levels are 3-23. The only thing that concerns me is that every time my levels have been checked since operation, its been higher. It started at 12, then 15, now 24. Im hoping it was because of the zoloft i was taking-ive heard that can effect prolactin. Im trying to wean myself off.

bea thank you so much for your sweet words of encouragement. we all deserve our BFP!! things definitely seem like theyre starting to balance off. I see my FS on Monday actually, so we will see if he lets me start anything. Hes the type of person that wants to wait and see what will happen naturally. My endo doesnt want me to get pregnant yet so she can do another MRI. WHAT?! if she thinks im gonna stop trying, shes crazy! :haha: shes an awesome endo though and im so glad i found her. my previous one was awful!

Bea, so im sure its all throughout the previous posts, but what are you currently doing to help with your chances? whats causing you to not conceive if youre still Oing?

Praying for us all to get our BFPs :)

Thanks for giving us hope Goldstns, I am so happy for you :hugs: Hope you are feeling well :D

IW0609 :hi: I cant believe your endo told you not to get pregnant so that you can have another MRI! I wouldn't worry about it, lots of people get pregnant with pituitary tumours and they can do MRI's when you are pregnant if they are really concerned anyway.
I'm a little concerned because my endo told me I should stay on the Bromo when I conceive, but everything ive read says you should stop taking it, has yours said anything about this?
I am going all out this month to improve our chances. We've kind of took the NTNP approach these last few months while I was waiting to start the meds but now I am on them i'm really keen to start ttc properly again. I will be temping every day, and using opks from day 8, we will bd everyday around my fertile week. I also use a mooncup after bding and lie down for half an hour after. I am keeping a very healthy diet too, absolutely no alcohol and lots of vegetables.
My endo thinks that I cant conceive because the high prolactin is giving me a luteal phase defect (its only 9 days), and this is because the prolactin is making my progesterone low. With only a 9 day luteal phase, there isn't time for the egg to attach to the uterine wall before AF comes, so if I am getting pregnant, it never attaches. I had a LP of 10 days last month though when i'd just started the meds in the last week of my cycle so that is looking like things are getting on track. I am hoping that my ovulation is brought earlier this month and I get a longer LP.
Good luck with your FS on Monday, have you discussed any other medications with them?xx

Thanks for giving us hope Goldstns, I am so happy for you :hugs: Hope you are feeling well :D

IW0609 :hi: I cant believe your endo told you not to get pregnant so that you can have another MRI! I wouldn't worry about it, lots of people get pregnant with pituitary tumours and they can do MRI's when you are pregnant if they are really concerned anyway.
I'm a little concerned because my endo told me I should stay on the Bromo when I conceive, but everything ive read says you should stop taking it, has yours said anything about this?
I am going all out this month to improve our chances. We've kind of took the NTNP approach these last few months while I was waiting to start the meds but now I am on them i'm really keen to start ttc properly again. I will be temping every day, and using opks from day 8, we will bd everyday around my fertile week. I also use a mooncup after bding and lie down for half an hour after. I am keeping a very healthy diet too, absolutely no alcohol and lots of vegetables.
My endo thinks that I cant conceive because the high prolactin is giving me a luteal phase defect (its only 9 days), and this is because the prolactin is making my progesterone low. With only a 9 day luteal phase, there isn't time for the egg to attach to the uterine wall before AF comes, so if I am getting pregnant, it never attaches. I had a LP of 10 days last month though when i'd just started the meds in the last week of my cycle so that is looking like things are getting on track. I am hoping that my ovulation is brought earlier this month and I get a longer LP.
Good luck with your FS on Monday, have you discussed any other medications with them?xx

I mean... I really do love my endo. Shes great and knows her clients like the back of her hand. I thinks shes just concerned bc my levels started coming back up. I definitely think you should incorporate the vit B complex like goldstn suggested. If i actually start a cycle this month, i will definitely be purchasing that! Also, can they not give you progesterone pills since your levels are low?

Im not sure what he will say tomorrow. This will be the first time ive seen him since last year and the first time since ive actually had low prolactin levels. I could see him telling me to wait :growlmad: but im hoping he'll give me provera to give me a period (assuming my estrogen is now high enough to give me a period- before, provera wouldnt even give me a period bc my estrogen was so low) and then start me on clomid. i just dont know. I sort of want to wait to see what my body will do on its own, but yet im so ready to get this show on the road!!!

i hope you continue to have longer LPs while on bromo. I want to say ive looked that up before and it was in the class A or B category meaning it was ok to be on while pregnant. If your endo says its ok, i think you should be fine :) The only thing that confuses me is that your prolactin is supposed to be high when your pregnant, so i dont understand why they would want you to stay on it. but again, theyre the docs!! i guess that means something :haha:

I've just seen your ticker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CONGRATULATIONS honey! :D that's amazing news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've just seen your ticker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CONGRATULATIONS honey! :D that's amazing news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bea thank you SOO much :hugs: as you can see im still early but im trying to keep positive thoughts :) Thanks again!!!

Hi everyone, just wanted to post because I had a 'bromocriptine baby', who went on to breastfeed after I stopped the meds. It seems to be a very individual thing how people respond to the meds. I initially was told I would probably need surgery before getting pregnant, as I have a 15mm bad boy on my pituitary. It turns out it is partially cystic and not near my optic nerve, so they gave me the meds (and told me not to get my hopes up because of the size etc) but my prolactin came down and I got pregnant on the first attempt after my cycles settled down.

Currently my daughter is a milk monster and still breastfeeding, so I need to wait on her weaning before I start the bromocriptine again to ttc #2.

Anyway I thought I would post to let you see a success story. Good luck everyone and congrats to those of you with bromocriptine babies on the way!

Hi everyone, just wanted to post because I had a 'bromocriptine baby', who went on to breastfeed after I stopped the meds. It seems to be a very individual thing how people respond to the meds. I initially was told I would probably need surgery before getting pregnant, as I have a 15mm bad boy on my pituitary. It turns out it is partially cystic and not near my optic nerve, so they gave me the meds (and told me not to get my hopes up because of the size etc) but my prolactin came down and I got pregnant on the first attempt after my cycles settled down.

Currently my daughter is a milk monster and still breastfeeding, so I need to wait on her weaning before I start the bromocriptine again to ttc #2.

Anyway I thought I would post to let you see a success story. Good luck everyone and congrats to those of you with bromocriptine babies on the way!

im SO glad you had success on meds...and 15mm!! thats crazy! mine was only 8mm and the meds just wouldnt cut it :shrug: but im glad to hear youre able to bf. i always joke that i BETTER be able to breastfeed with no problems since i was lactating before i was pregnant :haha:

lw0619- Congratulations on your pregnancy! It's great to hear about other pituitary patients getting pregnant.

I used to make the same joke about being able to feed after having milk before pregnancy. You just have to be aware that oversupply can cause a few breastfeeding glitches (which I never knew about). I had such a powerful let-down that my dd would cough and splutter when the milk started flowing - it got easier as she got bigger. The upside was that my freezer was stashed full of pumped milk.

lw0619- Congratulations on your pregnancy! It's great to hear about other pituitary patients getting pregnant.

I used to make the same joke about being able to feed after having milk before pregnancy. You just have to be aware that oversupply can cause a few breastfeeding glitches (which I never knew about). I had such a powerful let-down that my dd would cough and splutter when the milk started flowing - it got easier as she got bigger. The upside was that my freezer was stashed full of pumped milk:thumbup:

I used to make the same joke about being able to feed after having milk before pregnancy. You just have to be aware that oversupply can cause a few breastfeeding glitches (which I never knew about). I had such a powerful let-down that my dd would cough and splutter when the milk started flowing - it got easier as she got bigger. The upside was that my freezer was stashed full of pumped milk.

Wow...thats crazy! i wouldnt have thought about that (overflow). but i hope i have that "problem". i only have one friend thats been able to stick with BFing, and I REALLY want to be able to stick with it!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->