Is anyone here bilingual?

aliss

Reaction score
I think I am going through that phase of being terrible at both languages - my 1st & 2nd langue. I can't think straight in either one - I keep mixing up my words and speak both languages at the same time.. like "yeah mais je suis pas (but I'm not) feeling like i want faire (to do) that tonight"

Gahhh.

Is this normal for any of you? It's like I had great English and terrible French, now I just speak/think some awful franglais and my head hurts.

See I even did it in the post.. "langue"... yeesh

My first language is French and I should be way better at it. It can be so frustrating!

My oh is, he never has to use his "second" language tho, as there is no need, lol but he has ( very rarely) said something and then looked at me confused when i didn't have a clue, and repeated himself as if i am the one that should know what he means ! lol

ne vous inquietez pas a ce sujet, que vous pratiquez, ca ira mieux, j'en suis sur. Maintenant, est-ce en francais ou en anglais?

I think it's a good phase, when you get to that jumbled point. I think it means you're getting closer to being truly bilingual. That happened to me when I lived in Sweden. I was only there for a year, so I was conversationally fluent, but I didn't have the depth of vocab to do my courses in Swedish or anything like that. I remember that feeling, though. I studied French to a first year uni level, but I've never felt bilingual. It's hard in English Canada.

J'ai aller a l'ecole francais pour douze annees mais sa fais plusieur ans que je l'ai pas parler souvant. (c'est ma premiere langue) J'ai un accent englais en francais, et vice versa.

To translate in english in case someone doesn't know :
I went to french school for twelve years but haven't spoken it frequently in years, even though it's my first language. So now I have a french accent when I speak english, and vice versa.

I am pretty much, but my other 'tongue' gets used so infrequently, it is as rusty as it gets. I make a point of talking to the girls in different languages...I'd like them to grow up with a good handle on them.

Are you tired? I can't remember bare bones basics when I am v tired (like now!)

I can speak various languages. I think it's important that you make a lot more time for your mother tongue and use only that at home, if you can, as this kind of thing is pretty common. But language is a huge part of your identity and losing it can really affect some people.

J'ai aller a l'ecole francais pour douze annees mais sa fais plusieur ans que je l'ai pas parler souvant. (c'est ma premiere langue) J'ai un accent englais en francais, et vice versa.

To translate in english in case someone doesn't know :
I went to french school for twelve years but haven't spoken it frequently in years, even though it's my first language. So now I have a french accent when I speak english, and vice versa.

Noticed your in NB im in sudbury! :hi:

I wish I was bilingual! My Spanish is so-so and I was trying teaching myself Italian.

My dad is bilingual in Korean and used to be in Italian. But since moving back to America and his mother passing long ago, he hasn't spoken Italian since.

When I was a kid I used to mix up my languages a lot then I mostly lost my Finnish and when I was learning again a couple years ago I would mix them up again (sometimes I ever threw some Swedish into the mix - dunno where that came from!) - I think its just a phase in learning.

When I was doing my exams I got so stressed I accidently wrote part of my english exam in french, didnt even realise I was doing it till half way down the page and had to start again :)

I know a few people around my way that are fluant in bulls*it does that count

My partner is bilingual and speaks perfect english, he never has this problem. It is pretty amazing (he is dutch). He used to mix up words like "remind" and "remember". Now he doesnt even have an accent... Sigh. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->