Is BFing causing me anxiety and depression?

PegLeg2na

Reaction score
Hey! I've been nursing for almost 20 months. We're down to 2-4 feeds per 24 hour period, except like right now when she's stressed because we're traveling, and she wants to more. However, the past few months ive noticed the I've been really down most days. And when she nurses, I get this feeling like panic. I also get contractions, but that has been going on from the beginning. My doctor is aware of the contractions but not of my depression/anxiety concerns. There have been a few times ive thought of hurting myself just so I can feel something other than misery, but I didn't actually do it. I'm the breadwinner in my family and I've so been really stressed the past few months because I'm looking for a new job. So basically I just want to know if BFing is contributing to my emotions??? The feelings get worse while im physically nursing, which ups my suspicion.

Hey there. Sorry to hear you have been feeling anxious and depressed. I find that breastfeeding definitely saps my energy and if I am stressed at work then I end up feeling a bit frazzled. Could it be that your cycle is starting up again? I've found that my hormones have been all over the place since I started reducing feeds and I've been having migraines and all sorts. Talk to your doc about it. also, do you have any breastfeeding peer support where you live? Might be worth speaking to them as they might have heard lots of different experiences of breastfeeding.

Thanks for replying! I started bleeding 6w pp. I skipped a few periods here and there but have had "regular" cycles for over a year now. Except my lp is on average 5-7 days :-(. Anyway, I live in a smal town and there's no bfing group or even a moms group :-( I suppose it is time to talk to my doctor though....I just don't want to be put I medication or anything. The best solution is probably to just stop bfing :-(

Happy holidays!

Happy hols to you too. Hope you find a solution. I'm at the stage that I could do with stopping breastfeeding as I'm knackered working and feeding in the night. It's proving more tricky to stop than I expected though!

Do you get that feeling at the beginning of bf? I feel depressed right before the let down (I exclusively pump) and there is a name for it actually - dysphoric milk ejection reflex. Not sure if that's what you have, but here's more info -https://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/d-mer/

Thank you olive! Yeah the depression is usually right away, and the longer she nurses the more anxious I get. Sometimes I feel so panicked I have to stop before she's done, but that doesn't happen often. Usually I can handle it. Thanks!

Thank you olive! Yeah the depression is usually right away, and the longer she nurses the more anxious I get. Sometimes I feel so panicked I have to stop before she's done, but that doesn't happen often. Usually I can handle it. Thanks!

You're very welcome! I also wondered about this about 2 months after my son was born, but at first I just figured I was upset because I couldn't breastfeed. So I tried the good ole' Google and came up with that ;) Glad I could help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->