• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is Caleb popular?

mandaa1220

Reaction score
OH and I have wanted to name our son Caleb. Most people have commented that they love it, but my mom said that it's such a popular name, which I've thought was stupid until today, when someone else told me they heard on the radio about how popular the name Caleb is becoming...

I don't know any Calebs... I also work in childcare and out of all of the 140 children between 6 weeks to 12 years at my centers, there is not one single Caleb.

Thoughts? We really don't want a super popular name.

I don't know any Calebs. I work in a school and we have no Calebs . Go for it!

According to the Social Security Administration (if you google "name popularity social security administration" you can see yourself), Caleb was ranked #33 in 2013. 2012-#32, 2011-#33, 2010-#32, etc. The site shows 2000-2013, it's been in the top 40 in all of those years, but if you really love the name, and it's not popular in your area, maybe still use it? It still is a great name!

I'm in the uk, I only know one Caleb, he's 9. I like it 😀

I don't think I've ever met anyone called Caleb, it's a lovely name though :)

If we have a boy we are calling him Caleb. Its a great biblical name :thumbup:

Are you in the US or the UK? I'm in the US and like a PP said, it's been in the Top 40 for several years now - so I know quite a few (young kids, no adults).

But it sounds like in the UK it's not very common... so in that case... go for it! Not sure where you live though!

The thing with popularity is you can never predict how popular a name will become. If a celebrity uses a name 6 months after you do, or an athlete achieves something wonderful and they have that name, etc... it will soar up the baby name chart! It happened to me! My son's name was not very popular on the list (the year before he was born, which was the most recent list for me to go by) - but in the past 7 years has now become Top 10!! No way I could have prevented it, I guess.

Im in the US. I have checked the social security list and was super surprised to see it was around 30.

We've beem referring to him as Caleb, but now im rethinking it.

Where are all these Calebs??
Maybe do Caleb for the middle name and something more unique for the first. That way you can still call him Caleb but if he grows up to be one of 3 Calebs in his school/office/wherever he can always use his first name instead.

Where are all these Calebs??
Maybe do Caleb for the middle name and something more unique for the first. That way you can still call him Caleb but if he grows up to be one of 3 Calebs in his school/office/wherever he can always use his first name instead.

Right??? Im wondering the same thing. I've only ever met one in my life and that was high school.

we have a middle name already, as we're using a family name. Im not a fan of more than one middle name, so if we don't use Caleb as a first name, it's not at all. Not a huge deal. I'm just trying to think about everything.

I've never met a Caleb! I do quite like it though, i think Pretty Little Liars gave it a popularity boost

This is one of our top 3 but I now know 2 people who have used it. Like Noah I thought we'd picked an unusual name to suddenly hear it everywhere.

If you like it go for it though.

This is one of our top 3 but I now know 2 people who have used it. Like Noah I thought we'd picked an unusual name to suddenly hear it everywhere.

If you like it go for it though.

Yeah, Noah is #1 right now in the US. I looked last night! Crazy how quickly they get popular!

Not here. Most Calebs I have taught are now in middle school and high school. We don't have a single Caleb in our school.

The name we have chosen, Jackson/Jaxon is becoming quite popular in UK as it has in the US but we live in a small town and I don't know of any others at all so we're not letting that bother us as it isn't common where we are. If you don't know of any others and really love the name, I wouldn't let the country wide popularity put you off. :)

The funny thing with names, is that they come around at the same time every time. I have named both of my girls without thinking anything about popularity and we don't know anyone else with children with their names but it just so happened that they were both very popular the year they were born, or soon afterwards.
this time Caleb is actually high on our boys name list and i don't personally know anyone else named Caleb, but keep on seeing the name popping up more and more i am sure it is going to be a popular name in the next year or so!!

either way, its a great name choice and just go with what you like rather than popularity. :) x

The only Caleb I know is spelt Kaylib (*shudder*). I think it's popular, but not common, if you get me?

Only Caleb I've ever met is one 10 years ago. Definitely not heard of much around here, but very nice! :D

The only Caleb I know is spelt Kaylib (*shudder*). I think it's popular, but not common, if you get me?

Agreed! I think it's a name that will always be around, but I just don't see it being an issue for there to be like 4 Calebs in my son's classroom (which is what people have been saying will happen).

Agreed! I think it's a name that will always be around, but I just don't see it being an issue for there to be like 4 Calebs in my son's classroom (which is what people have been saying will happen).
I knew Calebs growing up, but I can't say I've met any recently, especially younger ones :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->