Is it my fault?

Tommee

Reaction score
Just something that's been bothering me over the weekend. We had our speech therapy appointment on Friday. I came away not feeling great afterwards. Firstly I didn't get chance to say anything she was running late so I felt rushed. She was so text book. I hope I don't see her again TBH.

She was asking does he go to Nursery? Does he mix? No not really. She said I'm not helping him by doing everything for him. I don't leave him with anyone apart from DH. Yes I know I do I guess wrap him in cotton wool but he was our first after suffering several miscarriages. I just want to protect him which I'm told I'm not doing him any favours.

Also at the appointment DS really isn't at his best, he's in an strange environment with strangers & he's not a performing monkey so no one sees him at his best. She said he doesn't know his own name which he does at home.

At home he speaks several clear words now he high fives me which he never at his appointment. Basically they have him down on paper worse then he actually is, is this bad? Or a good thing as we'll get more help for him?

So fustrating & confusing..

Honestly, ignore her! If a child does not want to talk, they wont. It does not matter how/if he is mixing with other kids! My DD didn't go to any toddler groups (and I mean none) she didn't mix with anyone her age and nor did I leave her with anyone (because my mum could only cope with one of mine at I needed the break from M more!) so she was with me till she started preschool and her speech is fine. Its down to the child not the social life of the child (IMO)

Its hard when they are not in a home environment. As long as you tell them what he says at home it does not matter they dont see it.

I dont think you get more help for more severe though sadly :( x

Thanks hun,

Sometimes I feel like were all in our little cocoon all safe indoors I 'forget' that DS isn't a typical child it's only when in public that it's obvious when I see what a 2.5 year old should be doing.

xx

I know how you feel. When I see other 7yr olds I realise how different he is. I have come to a stage in my life where I accept this though, he is who he is and sometimes I think its sweet he is the only who does not mind giving mum a cuddle and kiss in the school grounds lol.

Please don't think it is your fault! It's obviously not at all :hugs:

Usually our therapists assume he's not at his best at the appointments since lots of the time things are new and they are trying to get them to do things they don't want to do or aren't interested in. My LO is at his best with behaviour at appointments but doesn't listen or follow direction at all, even though he usually does at home. At appointments they will ask what he's like at home since it can be so different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->