• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is it time for Weaning already?!?

JennyOwens

Pregnant - 2nd time round
Reaction score
Hi ladies,

Was hoping to get some advice from some of you who have gone through weaning.

Up until a week or so ago Dylan was a pretty good sleeper - perhaps just waking once or twice in the night (ie over 12 hours) but now he sleeps from about 7 til 11 and then wakes every 2 hours (sometimes even more frequently). Is this a sign for me to start thinking about weaning?

We've also had visitors and it has been a bit warmer but the last couple of nights the visitors have gone and its much cooler again, but he still wakes a lot during the night...

Any advice appreciated. Oh, by the way, he is almost 16 weeks old.

Thanks!

Well this is what ella was doing , she slept through all the time and only just satted waking up alot to be fed, so i fed her a couple of mouth fulls of baby porridge and its settled her so much better!
You know when he is ready , and only you will. If you feel he does try him :)

Recommended weaning age is 6 months - 4 for very hungry babies. I would be inclined to try to up babies intake during the day as well as tank up at about 9.00 pm and see if that helps first, before weaning.

My daughter was 15 weeks when I started weaning her as she started waking up again through the night and I started by giving her some baby breakfast before bed. It worked a treat! I know it's not what is recommended as you're meant to start weaning at 6 months but as my Health Visitor said to me "find me a baby that will be satisfied on just milk upto 6 months and you'll see pigs fly"

My daughter was 15 weeks when I started weaning her as she started waking up again through the night and I started by giving her some baby breakfast before bed. It worked a treat! I know it's not what is recommended as you're meant to start weaning at 6 months but as my Health Visitor said to me "find me a baby that will be satisfied on just milk upto 6 months and you'll see pigs fly"

Hmm I know of several...

https://www.mts.net/~hooch/images/flying_pig.jpg

I would also up the intake... 13 weeks is getting very close to the four month growth spurt, or your baby just might want some time with mommy.

:hug:

Josh has a bit of cereals, he sleeps through the night. But Josh was a very hungry baby. xx

Not so sure about your HV. My baby would have happily gone way past 6 months without weaning. Only started at 5 and a half because of his reflux.

my lil man is 12 weeks and gets babycereal in the am and pm and boy does he sleep lol

each baby is diffrent :)

i agree, i dont really know any babies that stay till 6 months with just milk , id say 1 out of 10 still just has milk at my playgroup..
There is alot of people agaisnt feeding babies before then , even though they make food for babies at that age :dohh: if it was seriosly so bad for them it wouldnt be on the shelves :)

Thanks ladies

Now you mention the 4-month growth spurt it has all come flooding back to me!!! I remember at my post natal classes the teacher telling us that as new mummies we'll think we have a routine and then we'll hit the 4 month growth spurt and it will all be up in the air again! I can't believe I forgot that!!

I think I'll give him another week or so of upping his daytime milk intake and getting over any possible growth spurts before looking into weaning. I've heard a few people say that its time to start weaning when baby doesn't seem "satisfied" after a milk feed... but Dylan always seems very happy after a booby juice meal! BabyandBump

Thanks for all the replies... what would I do without BnB??!

i agree, i dont really know any babies that stay till 6 months with just milk , id say 1 out of 10 still just has milk at my playgroup..
There is alot of people agaisnt feeding babies before then , even though they make food for babies at that age :dohh: if it was seriosly so bad for them it wouldnt be on the shelves :)

EXACTLY what I'm thinking.

There seems to be a lot of debate over when to start weaning, and it seems like everyone has their own opinion. Drs all say different things, but I honestly think that as a mother, you know what is best for your child. When you gave birth, the nurse didn't hand you a manual with your baby, cause they are all different. The "rules" are guidelines as my pediatrician put it, and honestly, they change a lot. If you think your baby is ready, try it out. Erica gets a little bit, not everyday, but on her hungrier days. Basically, what I'm trying to say is that you know your baby, do what you think is best. =)

Oh, I also agree that we would assume what is on the shelves is ok for baby. Then I started reading about BPA. All of the major bottle manufacturers produce bottles containing BPA, that studies have linked to an increased risk of obesity, attention-deficit disorder, brain damage, and even cancer. Not everything on the shelves is safe.

(Not that I'm saying the baby food isnt!! But I have noticed that the plastic containers that hold the organic baby food contain BPA. Thats partly why I make everything at home.)

I'll probably stick to the WHO (World Health Organization) and the AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) vs what happens to be on the market shelves:

https://www.who.int/child_adolescent_health/documents/9241594292/en/index.html

https://www.breastfeeding.com/reading_room/wean.html

Kaya is 8 months and still entirely breastfed. She only gets tiny tastes of foods every few days or so and very little gets swallowed. I think many people (not all) misinterpret growth spurts as the baby needing solids. Either that or they're really wanting them to sleep through the night - I would be worried if Kaya slept longer than 5 hours without a feed. Many experts actually say that 5 hours of straight sleep counts as sleeping through.

Tbh id rather stick what mums knows best rather then what a bit of text in a book or on website says, and im not saying cos its on the shelves you have to start then , saying because its on the shelves surely its not as bad as some make out.
A book or web site can tell you so many different things, all babies a different hence the guiedlines of 4-6 months.
Always go on what you feel is right :)

Good Morning Mummies!

We had a much better night last night - I actually got 8 and a half hours sleep and Dylan only woke to be fed twice in 13 hours! It must have been a growth spurt because all that booby juice he ate yesterday seems to have done the trick!

Thanks for all the advice and especially to Margerle for reminding me of the 4-month growth spurt! :dohh:

xxxx

Hiya,

I weaned mine at 4mths, i had people saying " oh it's really to early to do that " then i had people saying " Yeah it's fine ". So to be honest, i just done it when i felt he was readyto have it, so i did and it worked

Nat x

Hmm I know of several...

https://www.mts.net/~hooch/images/flying_pig.jpg

I would also up the intake... 13 weeks is getting very close to the four month growth spurt, or your baby just might want some time with mommy.

:hug:

:rofl:

Good Morning Mummies!

We had a much better night last night - I actually got 8 and a half hours sleep and Dylan only woke to be fed twice in 13 hours! It must have been a growth spurt because all that booby juice he ate yesterday seems to have done the trick!

Thanks for all the advice and especially to Margerle for reminding me of the 4-month growth spurt! :dohh:

xxxx

Glad you had a good night Jenny x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->