Is it too much?

Baby France

Me and my amazing babies!
Reaction score
Yesterday while OH was picking up DS from nursery, he heard one of the nursery nurses (a new one) call him Jakey. (His name is Jacob)

I know when he gets older they will shorten his name and I'm ok with that.

But I HATE him being called Jakey. I don't mind Jake or Jay but I don't like Jakey.

So I told his room leader this morning :blush: She was really good about it and said she understood and its not a problem.

I've never said anything to them about anything before (I've never needed too, they've always done as I've asked).

But I feel like I've been silly and should have just left it. What would you have done?

My first thought is that it wouldn't bother me enuogh to say something but then, we rejected several name ideas for the new baby because we hated the common shortenings so much so maybe I would!

I think thats fine to ask if you don't want him called Jakey! It's up to you and so long as you said it in a nice way then I don't think thats a problem at all :flow: One of the young girls at Charlie's nursery called him Chas one day! Chas!! He's 2! I nipped that one in the bud there and then :rofl:

No I'd say something if I didn't like it, one of Archie's dads friends insists on calling him Archibald and I go nuts, it's not his name, he has Archie on his birth certificate and was christened Archie - trivial yes but it pisses me off no end :growlmad:

I will never call Tom Tommy, but if someone else did, like my neighbour did the other week, it wouldn't bother me as I know they are doing it in a sweet, affectionate manner.

What bothers me more is that although his full name is Thomas we have insisted to all family members and friends that he is called Tom. But my MIL still puts Thomas on his birthday cake and in his cards grrr!

I would have been the same, I hate it when people call Bella Izzy and i've made a big deal about her being nicknamed Bella, not Izzy.

I would have been the same, I hate it when people call Bella Izzy and i've made a big deal about her being nicknamed Bella, not Izzy.

That would be like calling Jacob "Cobby" rather than Jakey. I can see why that would drive you mad!!! It's completely different to what you want to call her!

That would be like calling Jacob "Cobby" rather than Jakey. I can see why that would drive you mad!!! It's completely different to what you want to call her!

Yeah, I mean I get that Izzy can be a nickname for the name Isabella, but if I've already nicknamed her Bella, you can't use Izzy too!! Lol.

I think you've done a perfectly reasonable thing. Our dd is called Eloise. We know she will get it shortened when she gets to school age but for the time being her name is Eloise and I correct anyone who calls her Ellie or Ella. We named her Eloise not Ellie/Ella and she will be called that until she's old enough to make her own decision. I would have done the same!

I'm with you... Jakey from Jacob is a bit of a stretch especially if you already use other nicknames, but it does sound more cutesy for a little kid.

On a different example- A kid down the street is called Alexander. When I first met him I called him Alex without thinking as we were saying goodbye (obviously easier for my LO to shorten it!). I was firmly told his name was Alexander NOT Alex. That, I think is a bit mad, as it will be inevitably shortened to one of a thousand nicknames for Alexander. If the parents were worried about that sort of thing they needed to pick a different name!!!

I'm with you... Jakey from Jacob is a bit of a stretch especially if you already use other nicknames, but it does sound more cutesy for a little kid.

On a different example- A kid down the street is called Alexander. When I first met him I called him Alex without thinking as we were saying goodbye (obviously easier for my LO to shorten it!). I was firmly told his name was Alexander NOT Alex. That, I think is a bit mad, as it will be inevitably shortened to one of a thousand nicknames for Alexander. If the parents were worried about that sort of thing they needed to pick a different name!!!

Yeah! It's like my OH is called Chris, everyone calls him Chris but his Grandma insist on calling him Christopher. He's not bothered because she's his grandma. But it was obvious that people are going to shorten this name!

I think if it's something that is important to you, then you absolutely did the right thing in saying something.

On a personal note - I always call Madeline by her full name (we have pet names too, but referring to her by name I always say Madeline). When we chose the name, we thought of all the abbreviations - and we loved Maddie too, and thought that we would probably use it ourselves. As it turns out, we haven't, but I don't mind people using it. To be honest, most people call her Madeline because that is how DH and I refer to her.

My brother (whose pet name for Madeline is The Madster!) is called Christopher - and he gets Chris from everyone apart from my Dad, (and my mum and grandmother when they were alive). I don't think I have ever heard my Dad call him Chris! So I guess it's just a case of sticking to what you prefer to use and hoping that as LO gets older, that's the name they prefer too. At the end of the day, it will be them that chooses the version they go by.

I disagree. We called Harrison - Harrison! Not Harry, or Hazza or H.
And until hes old enough to decide what nickname, if any, he prefers he will continue to be called Harrison and i will keep on correcting people.

I think you were right to say something. You gave your baby a name, and if they want to call him something else, they should be checking with you first. And Jakey? Really? Maybe it's just where I'm from, but that's an insult around here :dohh: At our nursery, we had to put down on our enrolment form if the child had any nicknames/preferred names, otherwise they just call the kids by their full names.

We thought initially that Roo's name would end up being shortened to the first two syllables, but in actual fact, we never do :shrug: It doesn't really suit her at the moment. If she wants to shorten it when she's older, that's fine and up to her. But for now, she gets the whole thing :)

Before we chose names we looked at the nicknames..we did the same with our daughter and as said before it made decisions on the name.

But never did we ever shorten Jacob to Jakey :wacko: Although after he was born a colleague asked how 'Jakey' was...and I told him too.

Others may like it, but I don't. I mean surely its just as easy to say Jacob as it is Jakey?!?! Jay or Jake however I don't mind :blush:

Glad I'm not the only one who feels the way I do though :thumbup:

It wouldn't bother me to be honest. I mean, there aren't really that many variations of Lily, but I don't mind what people want to call her.

As our LOs go through life it's inevitable that they will be referred to as variations of their name. They will obviously know what their name is, as do you, so I can't really see how it matters.

Hmm...see I am fully aware that one day his friends may call him Jakey. I'll have to live with that when it happens, but a teacher in effect?

I think if I called him that in front of the staff then fair enough, but I didn't name him Jakey and don't expect someone so soon to change his birth name to a different one.

At school I know nicknames will happen. And if his nickname is Jakey, then fair enough, but if I can stop it from happening now by a nursery nurse then I will.

Maybe I am being a little bit anal about it :shrug:

I did tell them that Jay or Jake was ok, but just really dislike Jakey!!

It's not like you were saying 'you must call him Jacob and nothing else!', you just dislike one nickname a lot! I think it's really hard not to shorten long names when you're working with kids - i'd struggle saying 'Alexander' (for example!) all the time!

At LOs preschool they had a bit on the entry forms where you can write in nicknames. I don't mind shortened versions but as it happens, the deputy manager there has a son with LOs name too, and she never shortens it because she didn't like it when people shortened her son's name.

It's funny...when I named Jasper, I never even considered a nickname. But I call him Jazz, or Jazzy often. But, when he went to school, his friends started calling him 'Jaspey', which I loathe, but I think it's cool that they like him and they have come up with it. I asked him what he thought of it, and he liked it. I kind of think of nicknames as term of endearment. I think its cute that the school came up with a name for your son. But, I don't think there is anythign wrong with you asking them not to say it, either. YOur son, your rules.

Its up to you entirely how you;ve resolved it, you dont like it and thats that darl!! I personally wouldn't of mentioned it as the nursery nurse involved my feel offended. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->