Is it too soon to start taking folic acid...

Sugababy

Reaction score
Hello girls..

I had a miscarriage a little while a go (it was an accidental pregnancy) and its made me and my OH decide that we would like children but not at least for about a year, but I dont want to have another m/c and want to make sure I have a very healthy pregnancy. So I am starting to lose weight ready, is it too soon to start taking folic acid?

There isn't really any such thing as 'too soon' to start taking folic acid. It will certainly not do any harm. If it will make you feel more comfortable then go for it, but I do not think it will take any effect. i.e. I think it any folic acid that you take now would be well out of your system by the time you come to TTC in a years time! In the event of another accidental pregnancy, though, at least you would be well prepared! :)

I would reccomend taking it 3 months prior to TTC.

I am very sorry for your loss, hun. Remember that it is not your fault. Very sadly, many pregnancies end in miscarriage and the majority of them are caused by random genetic chromosomal abnormalities. Unless you have had more than three, having a miscarriage does not increase your chances of miscarrying again, and does not mean that there is anything wrong with you. You can not really do anything to prevent a miscarriage... I wish you the best of luck in your W/TTC journey, and in your next pregnancy. May your next :bfp: have a much happier outcome :hugs:

Folic acid is important for the first few weeks of pregnancy when the neural tube is closing. It is usually recommended that you take it three months before trying and continue to take it for the first trimester (although some women take it all throughout pregnancy).

Taking it more than three months before ttc isn't really necessary unless a medical professional recommends you to do so, and it would probably be better to focus on other healthy lifestyle changes you can make at this point if you want to get ready for ttc.

Here is a useful NHS page on folic acid. https://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/913.aspx?CategoryID=54&SubCategoryID=129

It kind of covers what I have said, although they don't say anything about taking it three months before conceiving, just when you are trying. I might have to find out more about this though, as I'm not sure how long it stays in your system, so what I've been taught about 3 months before might be wrong if it doesn't stay in your system for more than a few days.

Hope that helps x

Oh, I've just found out that folic acid will not stay in your system for longer that a day or two. So it won't do any harm to take it, but it's not going to have any different effect than taking it when you are ttc (although it does help with basic body functions, so has it's benefits out with pregnancy)

I've been reading about this today.... apparently if you are of childbearing age, and sexually active (even if you are not TTC) then taking folic acid (0.4mg a day apparently) is not a bad thing to do...

reason being that if you were to get pregnant and you werent trying, you may not realise you're pregnant till past the 3rd/4th week of pregnancy, which is when the babys' neural tube closes. so if you're already taking folic acid, this reduces the risk of any neural tube defects occurring in any babies which you werent planning! hope that makes sense. i'm not taking it at the moment but am considering it. xxx

I've been reading about this today.... apparently if you are of childbearing age, and sexually active (even if you are not TTC) then taking folic acid (0.4mg a day apparently) is not a bad thing to do...

reason being that if you were to get pregnant and you werent trying, you may not realise you're pregnant till past the 3rd/4th week of pregnancy, which is when the babys' neural tube closes. so if you're already taking folic acid, this reduces the risk of any neural tube defects occurring in any babies which you werent planning! hope that makes sense. i'm not taking it at the moment but am considering it. xxx

agree with this.

Folic acid is fine to take even if your not TTC, it's included in some daily vitamins (that aren't pre-natal) and is in some foods naturally, so it doesn't hurt to take it.

Thanks for the info ladies! I've just started taking the folic acid (planning on ttc in April). I figure the vitamins will be good for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->