is it worth using disposables for the first few weeks?

xemmax

mummy in love
Reaction score
hi ladies, hoping for some help if you don't mind! :)

definiting going for cloth nappies and have decided that tots bots bamboozles sound perfect, however we decided today to buy trial packs of a few as we read that this is the best course of action.

i keep reading everywhere that it's best for the first few weeks to use disposables to get you used to the pattern. i really wasn't sure i wanted to do that, but now i'm thinking that while we're trialling out each of the different nappies then it may well be easier (as we probably won't have much of a supply).

does anyone think it's worth getting some eco-friendly disposables for the first few weeks? and would it be a bit foolish to just go all out and buy a whole pack of nappies without trialling them?

any advice greatly appreciated! i'm a total newbie who has reached a dead end. :flower:

We did, although for the reason that her Bum Genius BTP didn't fit at first with her being early - I started to use them as soon as they fitted.

I think its not such a bad thing to use sposies in the first few days - when you just want something to work - cos you have so many things to think about already and the last thing (IMO) you need is worrying about nappies not fiting right or washing them etc

I was thinking this too! :flower:
Also because i dont want to get the first runny poo on lovely fluffy nappies :blush:
I think once we are in more of a pattern with LO we will introduce them then, it might make it easier!

Plus people have bought us a couple of big boxes of sposies... may as well use them up, someone will :flower:

Besides if you stay in hozzy it might be hard to use cloth, especially if you dont have a huge stash at first
I was only in 2 whole days and one night so that wouldnt have been to bad for cloth, but any longer and it may have been

Besides if you stay in hozzy it might be hard to use cloth, especially if you dont have a huge stash at first
I was only in 2 whole days and one night so that wouldnt have been to bad for cloth, but any longer and it may have been

that's a really good point, i didn't think of that! i think it's probably best i get a couple of packs just to keep me going for the first week or so then.

my boyfriend raised the point that we may get too used to the convenience and then resent using reusables at first - so it would really have to be a quick stop gap before we choose the right nappies for the little one.

thanks for your advice. :flower:

Hi There!
I've only been using reusables for 2 months (LO is 6 months). IMHO, I think it might be worth using disposables at first as I've heard that meconium can ruin nappies (not sure how true this is, as I said, LO was 4 months old when we made the switch). Also, to be honest, when I first had LO, I'm not sure how I personally would have coped with getting used to parenthood and having the extra work of reusables. I'm not sure if you're planning a hospital birth and if the hospital have any policies related to nappies. Having said that, many women use cloth from the start without any problems or issues and if you feel that it's right for you, on you go. Good luck and :hugs:
Joanne x

we used disposables for the first 4 weeks. While you're getting over the birth and getting into some kind of normality its one less thing to think about!

we used disposables for the first 2 weeks and still do sometimes now if going away. I think its a good idea until things are a bit more settled and are happier doing extra washing etc

I used disposables for the first 2 weeks to avoid the meconium staining the nappies and to get into my swing without the washing to think about.

As far as what to buy I bought a selection of various different makes and styles. I picked them up pre loved on here so I didnt spend too much while I sussed out what worked well for us. Then once I had an opinion I started to sell ones I didnt reach for and replace with more of those i liked. I did love the TBs bamboozles in particular when LO was first born. :)

I'd say use the chemical free disposables, to be honest. We switched to cloth when B was about 2 months, and in the first few weeks, I don't think I could have kept on top of washing the nappies too. You should have seen our washing pile by the time we'd finally got into the swing of being parents!

I'd say use the chemical free disposables, to be honest. We switched to cloth when B was about 2 months, and in the first few weeks, I don't think I could have kept on top of washing the nappies too. You should have seen our washing pile by the time we'd finally got into the swing of being parents!

looks like we'll be using nature babycare disposables, they're chlorine free and 70% biodegradable, unless anyone could recommend any better? i'd preferably like some that i can buy from shops rather than ordering, and i like the fact that these are conveniently stocked in boots! x

Yup, that's what I'd advise; I use them when we're going away for more than a few days, and the absorbancy is pretty good. At the minute, I think that if you join their mailing list, there is a voucher you can print off for a half price pack, as well.

Yup, that's what I'd advise; I use them when we're going away for more than a few days, and the absorbancy is pretty good. At the minute, I think that if you join their mailing list, there is a voucher you can print off for a half price pack, as well.

that's great, thanks so much! x

I think the trialling is good as what fits one baby well may not fit another so well!

Also most nappies do not fit newborns well although muslins and prefols folded works a treat! so most people use disposables for the first few weeks if they are using shaped nappies.

We used sposies for the first few weeks until his small ittis fitted him.

Hope this helps!

x

I think the trialling is good as what fits one baby well may not fit another so well!

Also most nappies do not fit newborns well although muslins and prefols folded works a treat! so most people use disposables for the first few weeks if they are using shaped nappies.

We used sposies for the first few weeks until his small ittis fitted him.

Hope this helps!

x

thanks for the advice!
i was worried that they may leak to begin with if he is a small birth weight, and not because of their fit, so that's another reason why i'll use disposables - thank you! :thumbup:

did you trial? i'm not sure how many to buy! i'll definitely be trying ittis as i see they're mentioned a lot on here! x

When lo is diddy, it's worth thinking about using some newborn wraps and folded muslins ;)

I can highly rate Natures Babycare though - when G was in hospital, they are what we used xxxx

I'm thinking of getting some muslins to use while LO is tiny (unless I'm growing a whopper!), should really get round to it lol

i used disposables for the first few weeks then started trying different ones to see which suited best. i ended up going for one that i initially didn't like and the one that i was really keen on turned out not to suit us at all! is a good idea i think to get a trial pack before buying a load.

I used sposies for the first few weeks as abigail was really skinny and didnt fit any cloth I had (and I had size smalls).

Plus didnt want any yucky meconium staining on them...but I cringe now at the thought of using sposies. Chemicals, gel beads on her bum, throwing it away, takes up LOADS of room in the wheelie bin etc....

however in the first few weeks you just try to get by...so id say yeah, go for sposies, but if possible the natural ones/biodegradable ones?

Good luck!

I used sposies for the first few weeks as abigail was really skinny and didnt fit any cloth I had (and I had size smalls).

Plus didnt want any yucky meconium staining on them...but I cringe now at the thought of using sposies. Chemicals, gel beads on her bum, throwing it away, takes up LOADS of room in the wheelie bin etc....

however in the first few weeks you just try to get by...so id say yeah, go for sposies, but if possible the natural ones/biodegradable ones?

Good luck!

yeah, looks like i'll be using nature babycare ones. they're 70% biodegradable and chlorine free which sounds good for disposables.

i never intended to use them but it's made me feel much more confident knowing there are (semi) eco-friendly options available. i'm preparing for the shock of my life so will be good to know that i will be able to bide my time with them until we've reached a routine and found a nappy which suits perfectly!

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->