Is it wrong for people who work with children to smoke?

No of course it isnt, as long as its not done during work time.

Parents smoke........... should they be allowed to have children? iykwim

p.s I'm not a smoker

When i had my last LO, my room over looked the car park. I watched one of the paedatricians (that does the baby checks, sees the babies in scbu etc) go AND SIT IN HIS CAR AT REGULAR INTERVALS AND SMOKE. tHATS WRONG IMO.

p.s I'm not a smoker

I think thats different. I dont actually agree with smoking full stop, but people that work with vunerable, poorly children and babies should not smoke, they have a care of duty and a role of responsibility to that child and i dont think they should jepordise that (in work hours)

Long as they arnt smoking around my children then no. What they do in their own personal time their own business. I remember walking in to my classroom and my teacher sat there smoking on her break. I wouldnt be to pleased if a pead was handling my new born and had smoke stinking off them.

p.s I'm not a smoker

I think thats different. I dont actually agree with smoking full stop, but people that work with vunerable, poorly children and babies should not smoke, they have a care of duty and a role of responsibility to that child and i dont think they should jepordise that (in work hours)

I was just highlighting how silly it would be for people who work with children not being allowed to smoke in their personal time x

like i said, not during work hours x

p.s I'm not a smoker

I was just highlighting how silly it would be for people who work with children not being allowed to smoke in their personal time x

like i said, not during work hours x

Yeah i know, was just showing to flip side and people who do smoke during work hours, as the OP didnt specify if she meant in or out of work hours :flower: x

I don't like smoking, in fact i detest it. However its not my right to say who can smoke and where.
Of course they should be allowed to smoke, providing they do it away from the children and fully wash their hands when finished.

I think it's fine unless they are smoking during their breaks, that to me is ridiculous. But I think that of jobs involving food handling etc too.

I don't like smoking, in fact i detest it. However its not my right to say who can smoke and where.
Of course they should be allowed to smoke, providing they do it away from the children and fully wash their hands when finished.

Will still cling to their clothes though- imagine them then handle a baby with respiration problems? x

In my experience the moajority of nursery staff smoke and will do so during thier lunch breaks my OH is a smoker and Im an ex smoker so I respect others decision to smoke but I do feel taht they should refrain while working.

If my child was raised in a smoke free home I wouldnt like the thought of staff breathing all over them after theyve just had a smoke especially if they're only a baby as thier less resillient.

My pediatrician is a smoker and I don't really care, if I had time to worry about everything that "can" be dangerous, I'd need 700 hours in my day and my head would explode probably. My parents were chain smokers, no one in my family has health problems or allergies... My dad's parents were also chain smokers, they had 11 kids, none had allergies or asthma... So if my son comes into contact with someone who had a cigarette earlier, it doesn't really bother me.
I was standing next to a woman a few weeks ago who tore a strip off of someone who was smoking a cigarette at an intersection, she started going on about "second hand smoke" and her baby... The 35 cars that just went by blowing exhaust in her baby's stroller didn't seem to bother her, but the one person smoking 10 feet away was Satan himself it seemed...

Will still cling to their clothes though- imagine them then handle a baby with respiration problems? x

:thumbup:
Hadn't considered that,
Its a tricky one.

I had a lady who would come into my home and work with my child who has ASD. She would reek of smoke, stink up my house, and my daughter would smell afterwards. I thought it was rude and very unprofessional of her. Keep in mind, where I live, (British Columbia) has some of the lowest smoking rates. I think its completely unacceptable, and if I EVER smelled cig smoke on a teacher/doctor/nurse, I would make a formal complaint! It is against the law to smoke in parks, trails, beaches, indoor public, outside doors, hospital grounds and in cars with children here. Its disgusssssting.

I had a lady who would come into my home and work with my child who has ASD. She would reek of smoke, stink up my house, and my daughter would smell afterwards. I thought it was rude and very unprofessional of her. Keep in mind, where I live, (British Columbia) has some of the lowest smoking rates. I think its completely unacceptable, and if I EVER smelled cig smoke on a teacher/doctor/nurse, I would make a formal complaint! It is against the law to smoke in parks, trails, beaches, indoor public, outside doors, hospital grounds and in cars with children here. Its disgusssssting.

I wish it was here! And i think it should be too.

ETA: Sorry, indoor public smoking IS now illegal, that came into force in 2007 xx

In case anyon is interested in world wide smoking rates, here is a link
https://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_dai_smo-health-daily
Canada is low, and the province I live in, in Canada, is the lowest of all.

I remember when my first son was born and the midwife was helping with somethings..feeding i think and her hands stank of smoke as she had obv just had a fag! i did think it was unprofessional to stink of smoke but guess its upto thwm if they smoke aslong as its not around my children.

It doesn't bother me in general, people are free to do what they like in their free time etc. BUT I think in this case it is highly insensitive and quite upsetting actually, unless he was going to change etc. (would presume he would have to disinfect his hands when he came back anyway though).

Yes. Then again, I think smoking should be banned full stop. Certainly it's wrong during breaks in their work hours, especially when they are wearing their uniform. There's a nursery just down the road from me and I sometimes see the staff standing on the pavement smoking. It makes me shudder to think of all the chemicals they take back inside the nursery on their contaminated uniform, not to mention on their breath.

We know that third hand smoke is harmful to children. Those who smoke at home should shower and change their clothes before working with children, but even that isn't really enough to get rid of it. So yes, deliberately exposing children to poisonous and toxic chemicals is wrong. And yes, that applies to parents too.

I think it is wrong, particles can stick to your clothes, skin and hair for hours afterwards. We had a HV come to us who smelt like she'd just smoked a packet of 20 fags before coming inside, she didn't just smell of smoke, she was practically giving off fumes. I really wanted to say something as it was completely inappropriate IMHO. None of mine were particularly tiny at that time but I was pregnant with my youngest and it knocked me sick (and no I wasn't in first tri or anything). Also my second eldest has hay fever and it made him really wheezy. :( xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->