Is my lo not getting enough BM?

mrsclt

Reaction score
My lo is 4 months old now, but he still wants to feed every 1-2 hours. He will usually feed for at least 30 minutes usually up to an hour. Then 2 hrs later wants more. Except first in the morning and before bed, when he'll feed for 3 hours, with short 10 to 15 minutes breaks every hr. He wont sleep in the day for more than half hr time usually, and sleeps around 4-5hrs after the last feed for the day, but then goes back to feeding every 2 hours. Its not cluster feeding, I've worked out when he's having a growth spurt. And his weight and growth are fine but I'm starting to think he's not getting enough breast milk. Or is this normal?

Is he actively sucking for the full 30mins to 1 hour? If not, it may be that he is just tired and dosing on you with boob in his mouth, giving it a suck while in light sleep. Or maybe it is a slow letdown?

In cultures where babies are always carried, little and often seems to be commonplace.

He can't not be getting enough if he's meeting milestones and putting on weight, but I suppose what your asking is should he be able to get more in a shorter time than he is doing! That is hard to answer as all boobs are different and all babies are different and each baby adapts its feeding pattern to the boobs available and the boobs adapt to the baby's feeding pattern too in a reciprocal feedback thing.

It sounds like it is troubling you and it must feel very demanding are there support groups you could visit? Or call LLL or NCT for a home visit?

About half of the time he is actively feeding, though I do tickle his chin to keep him drinking at night in the hope of him sleeping a bit longer. Also, if I try to pull him off once he's slowed down/stopped, he often starts to drink again. Glad to hear it seems to be normal for bub to feed little and often, I guess I'm just getting tired from lack of sleep and trying to find time to express milk so dad can look after bub and let me have a rest. There is a breastfeeding support center at the local doctor, but they were useless. I went to them before and they never answer the phone or return your call. Will look into the possibility of a slow letdown

I was in a similar position with constant feeding. I really tried to stick with ebf, but she was always hungry and it just didn't seem right. So, we started top ups and she is a much happier baby and going 3-4 hours between feeds :)

Trust your instincts- if you think it is going well, stick with it. But bf doesn't have to be all or nothing. Good luck whatever you do :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rubysan
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->