Is my mum a bit OTT??

I think that yes, monitors are probably advisable if only that if you can do it, why would you choose not to???

I wouldn't be comfortable with my LO being asleep in one room while the people supposed to be looking after her busy themselves in another. Even if they can see, they might not be constantly watching but they wouldn't miss a noise on the monitor. And for those reasons, I'm out. I mean I agree with your mum.

I wouldn't leave my baby in a room in my own house without a monitor for 10mins so I certainly wouldn't let it happen in a nursery. Sorry I agree with your mum too!

:)

What did they do before monitors were invented :dohh:

My LO only has the monitor on at night. During the day time if my LO falls asleep on me, then i will either lie him on his blanket on the floor, or on my bed or even sometimes he falls asleep in his pushchair when we have been out, so i leave him in there until he wakes up. I check on him regularly, but i wouldn't be fallowing him around with a monitor.

If you want to be extreme then why not use a heart rate monitor :haha:

But how many babies have been kept safe since monitors were invented? Products are developed for a reason!

I think if there's no one in the room, I'd want a monitor. It's hardly an expensive piece of kit for peace of mind!

I used to work in a nursery that did this and there was never a problem but it was quite a while ago. The nursery that I worked in before mat leave the cots were in the baby room and lots of members of staff were always in there to keep on eye on them. I'm surprised they still allow nurseries to keep them seperate as your mom definitely has a point. Whats the nurseries ofsted report like? xx

My LO only has the monitor on at night. During the day time if my LO falls asleep on me, then i will either lie him on his blanket on the floor, or on my bed or even sometimes he falls asleep in his pushchair when we have been out, so i leave him in there until he wakes up. I check on him regularly, but i wouldn't be fallowing him around with a monitor.

But how many babies have been kept safe since monitors were invented? Products are developed for a reason!

I think if there's no one in the room, I'd want a monitor. It's hardly an expensive piece of kit for peace of mind!

Babies are not kept safe by monitors, babies are kept safe due to the SIDs guidelines.

Babies are not kept safe by monitors, babies are kept safe due to the SIDs guidelines.

i disagree, theres been a couple of times LO's been in bed and i've been ironing and i've heard him be sick on the monitor, if i hadnt have had one he would have been laying face down in his sick for hours.

i wouldnt be happy leaving my LO there, the chreche he goes to has cots which are in the room and i often go in and LO's napping in the bouncer which is in the room!

Some varying opinions here very interesting. It was just something I never thought of, I have left LO asleep while in the shower for 10 minutes, or getting dressed upstairs for 10 minutes or washing up in the kitchen for 10 minutes, this is why I didn't see it as a problem.

To those that asked the room isn't separate to where they all are completely, its like having LO in the Lounge while you're in the kitchen but on a much smaller scale, they set a timer and check the babies every 10 minutes, the door is closed but both times I have been there the babies that are awake have been easily heard, and they go in straight away, it's all logged, though to be honest i'm not sure if it's 10 minutes per baby which technically means they're in and out constantly or if it's an overall 10 minutes.

We viewed 4 different Nurseries and all of them had the same tecnique of checking every 10 minutes only one of them had a minder in there with them (but that was the toddler section not the baby one.

Just to someone who asked the offsted report was outstanding throughout, and thats not what they've told us we researched it ourselves.

Thanks for your replies maybe my mum isn't as neurotic as I thought :haha:

i disagree, theres been a couple of times LO's been in bed and i've been ironing and i've heard him be sick on the monitor, if i hadnt have had one he would have been laying face down in his sick for hours.

i wouldnt be happy leaving my LO there, the chreche he goes to has cots which are in the room and i often go in and LO's napping in the bouncer which is in the room!

But surely you would be checking on your LO, not just leaving it up to a machine that could go wrong :shrug: You wouldn't leave them for hours without making sure they are ok?? Mind you my LO doesn't sleep for more then 30mins a time so there isn't a need for a monitor during the day time.

I don't see it as being an issue. We don't have a monitor. At night Clara sleeps in our room with us, but she goes to bed a couple hours earlier than us and we only check on her a few times (mind you we have a very small apartment and can hear her if she wakes up). During the day she naps in her room (if she actually takes a nap - she's not really a daytime sleeper) and I just leave the door open a bit so I can listen for her.

But surely you would be checking on your LO, not just leaving it up to a machine that could go wrong :shrug: You wouldn't leave them for hours without making sure they are ok?? Mind you my LO doesn't sleep for more then 30mins a time so there isn't a need for a monitor during the day time.

he naps downstairs during the day as i never get longer than 30 mins either but at night i only check on him a couple of times unless i hear him stir

A nursery near us, was closed down after a baby died in their care, they checked on the babies in cots every 10 mins, but failed to notice the draw string bag at the end of one cot. Baby got up and got the bag around her neck. The parents had to turn her life support machine off two weeks later.
That was my deciding factor in becoming a stay at home mum.
It was a freak accident, but their negligence caused it.

I totally agree with your Mum.

I'm thankful Leni will not have to go to nursery as this type of thing would leave me neurotic.

i've never used a montior so personally it wouldn't worry me.

I think it's OTT to expect a nursery to hae $200 monitors for each baby there... that's a bit unrealistic if you think about it. But I've never used one and I'm not the type of person that worries at every tiny thing. x

I agree with your Mum. There should be a monitor regardless of whether they check on the babies every 10 minutes. Better to be safe than sorry and personally i'd definitely expect the highest amount of safety possible as somewhere like a nursery. Im lucky that LO won't have to go to a nursery but if she were to, i wouldnt want to leave her somewhere they skip on safety, especially something as simple as a monitor. :hugs:

I'm with your Mum. In the Nursery my son went to, there was always someone in the actual room, they were never left alone? :shrug: xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"