Is my Obgyn just laid back or careless?

teamandy

Reaction score
My obgyn looks in his mid 60's and has been really relaxed during my pregnancy.
For example when I asked him if I could start exercising after not being active for months (I'm usually really active just had been sick) he said yeah sure do what ur body tells you.

Then when I asked him about running after I give birth he said I could get back to it in as early as 2 weeks if I've had a normal vaginal delivery.
The last thing that made me start wondering is when I was complaining that I couldn't find a sleep position that's comfortable he said I could sleep however I wanted including my back.

At this point, these things including our lightning fast appointments are making me wonder if he's just that confident cuz he's seen it all or is careless?

Well... I agree with all his responses so....

Well... I agree with all his responses so....

Yeah? I guess I've been just reading everyone's own obgyn advice on the board about not exercising for 4-6 weeks to let your uterus shrink and not sleeping on ur back because of breathing etc... That i don't know what to believe anymore:/

I like the sound of him, seems sensible, listen to your body, if you were fit and healthy before then had a short break no reason to not carry on where you left off provided you don't push yourself.
Ideally you should lie on your side but if you can't sleep like that and you are ok on your back then there's no problem. If you start to get problems on your back you'll wake up/move.
Wish my consultant was as sensible as yours.
Xx

I agree with the pp. These guidelines are put in place but everybody handles things differently. Just listen to what it's telling you and if something doesn't seam right then stop/change the thing you're doing.
Your OB sounds similar to my midwife, she's never worried about anything and nothing phases her. She's brilliant - I love her!

Running at 2 weeks??? What??? That sounds nuts.

Maybe your OB knows that it's extremely unlikely that you'll feel up to going for a jog at 2 weeks pp?? Lol. The other stuff sounds normal to me.

Maybe your OB knows that it's extremely unlikely that you'll feel up to going for a jog at 2 weeks pp?? Lol. The other stuff sounds normal to me.

I agree with this ^ post.
I have recently been having a hard time sleeping and my doc has also mentioned to listen to your body. Everyone says lie on your left side but I can't do that as it hurts too much on my left due to the way baby is laying. Doc said sleeping on my back is fine as long as I can handle it. Your body will tell you what you can and can't do. Just don't force anything.

My ob and my MW both said it was fine for me to start working out after I had been on bed rest for the first trimester because I had been active before and I've been running regularly ever since. And my mom started running again 9 days after giving birth to me, so I don't think there's anything wrong with his advice. I'd be happy with it!

I think they put the guidelines in place so people don't feel discouraged when they can't do something.

I had a c section and was told not to do anything for 6 weeks. I had no issue doing everything that I normally do by 2 weeks PP. I wouldn't reccommend it to anyone else, but I felt great and wasn't in pain.

Running at 2 weeks??? What??? That sounds nuts.

Depends on personal recovery time and fitness level before.
I am not a runner so it would be silly for me to start running at 2 weeks but I resumed MY normal activity levels at 5 days pp by walking with the pram for a mile or so and when he was less than 2 weeks old a full on whole day shopping in the next city.
Xx

Everything he said is sensible, to be honest. You can sleep on your back unless it makes you uncomfortable or you feel funny doing it (I couldn't with my first as it made me wake up in a sweat with my heart beating fast, so I stuck to my left side, but I know people who weren't affected and slept on their back in third tri). If your birth goes well and you feel good enough to run after two weeks, then you can run after two weeks. He's just saying listen to your body, it's good advice. Pregnancy isn't an illness and we don't have to be wrapped in cotton wool, just do what you can when it feels okay.

I think it's a good attitude to have, too many people are over cautious on everything in case it comes back to them.

I'd say whatever feels right for you should be ok, however the running after 2 weeks I'd question. A you won't feel up to it that early, b your internal bits need to settle back down after being moved and squished and c if you breast feed excercising is not always recommended - or so I've read not sure why

Don't worry my midwife is never around, doesn't reply and doesn't seem bothered!!!
I'd expect much more support for a first baby

That's my kind of OB, truthfully. Most are very strict in their guildelines because we live in a litigious society that is always looking to put the blame on someone else. I have a very laid back, natural-minded OB who is also in his 60's. He tells me to work out, sleep however is most comfortable for me (third baby and I still sleep on my back if/when it's comfortable), have a small glass of wine in my third trimester if I'm comfortable with it, etc. He trusts my ability to listen to my own body's cues.

All that sounds perfectly fine to me. Your body will tell you what it's ready for. If you feel like exercising now, do it. If you don't, don't do it. As for exercise after, you probably won't have the energy to run 2 weeks after, for me it was a few more weeks before I was up for doing anything active, until at least my bleeding stopped. But there are people who are getting pregnant again (so presumably having sex) within 2 weeks of a birth. I know I sure as heck felt ready to start running again well before I wanted to have sex, so there must be people out there who feel pretty good at 2 weeks pp. If you feel fine, why not? As for sleeping on your back, if it doesn't bother you (it probably would if you did it for 8 hours straight, but maybe not for shorter periods), I wouldn't avoid it. I would sleep for short periods of time on my back. If it's causing a problem, you'll feel unwell and move. I actually think it's so refreshing to see a doctor who isn't so pushy and handing out scary advice, which I think they tend to do way to often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->