Is soup a meal?

Lilmiss1

Mum
Reaction score
Dh says he can't have soup for a meal. He says it's a starter and needs something to go with it. I love love love soup and just need some bread! Ds likes it too. I can dip the bread in for him and let him suck on it.

Of course it's a meal. I'm thinking of making stew next week! Love it!

IMO yes. Just put soem pasta in it or make him a sandwich to go with :s My OH is the same as yours though. He wont eat soup and wants meat to go with everything. Like spaghetti carbonara he wants chicken with it :wacko:

I'd eat soup as a meal too. If it has lentils or pasta in it can be incredibly filling! My LO's love soup, they think it's great to dip bread in :)

Definitely! A big bowl of homemade minestrone or thai noodle soup are my favourites :)

When it is just myself and my little girl, we quite often have just soup and a bread roll as a meal, but it just doesn't seem to fill Hubby up (unless it is my home made minestrone soup, which does, because of the macaroni in it). I tend to make a couple of sandwiches as well for hubby, so he gets soup and sandwiches and can't complain that he is still hungry. :flower:

YUMMY soup!

I think it's more of a light meal, for lunch rather than dinner though iygwim.

Can't beat hot soup with crusty bread and loads of clover.....

My hubby doestn regard soup as a meal despite the fact he could have a HUGE bowl and bread.

He prefers food he has to chew if that makes sense lol

I LOVE soup and LOVE making it though.

I tend to have soup at work for lunch.

I've always seen it as a starter or a snack. But that doesn't mean you can't have it as a main meal if that's what you fancy. Sometimes I love a bit of tomato soup with a couple of slices of bread for tea.

My hubby doestn regard soup as a meal despite the fact he could have a HUGE bowl and bread.

He prefers food he has to chew if that makes sense lol

Snap! My OH is the same. He can eat a huge bowl of soup, and then I spot him casually browsing around the kitchen for something else....

Yes it's a meal. You can even add rice to it (depending on the type of soup) to bulk it up a bit.

It can be both really. If I have soup as a meal I like to have a bit of bread with it to make it more filling. I've not had soup for ageeees now! x

After reading this thread I started really craving soup, only found one tin of Heinz cream of tomato but it went out of date in September last year, damn:(

It depends on the type of soup. If it's a thin tomato then no i wouldn't serve it as a meal. If i make a minestrone soup that has lots of beans, veg and pasta in then it definitely is a meal.

Yes I would say it is a meal, we quite often have it during the winter with some fresh bread :)

Yep... We often have soup as a meal. Broccoli and Milton is the fave at the mo...

yum...I love soup, this has really put me in the mood for it. Does anyone have a nice recipe for minestrone? I've never made it before

I had tomato soup with a couple of big chunks of wholemeal bread to dunk for my lunch earlier, yum :)

We quite often have soup with bread for lunches and if I make some of my lovely thick butternut squash and sweet potato soup we'll have that for a dinner meal :)

yum...I love soup, this has really put me in the mood for it. Does anyone have a nice recipe for minestrone? I've never made it before

The Minestrone Soup that I make most often is a Slimming World Recipe (from "50 Best Simming World Recipes"). I like it because it is quick, easy and tasty.

Ingredients

(SERVES 1) So obviously adjust according to the amount of people

1/2 onion

1 celery stick

1 carrot

1 garlic clove

fry light (or olive oil if you are not slimming)

230g can of chopped tomatoes

1pt/568 ml of beef stock made with Bovril (or another stock if not slimming/don't like Bovril/vegetarian)

1oz/28g macaroni

salt and pepper

freshly chopped basil

Method

1. Chop the onion, celery and carrot, and crush the garlic.

2. Fry the onion, celery, carrot and garlic in fry light/olive oil until softened.

3. Add the tomatoes, stock and macaroni. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes.

4 Season to taste and stir in the chopped basil before serving.

I've made it so many times I tend to just use the same ingredients but throw in different amounts depending on what Im feeling like.. sometimes I like it more "tomatoey", sometimes more "beefy", sometimes with less macaroni, sometimes with a tin of mixed beans added, and sometimes with a bit of chilli to make it spicy minestrone. :flower:

The macaroni soup I make is super indulgent and has bacon and wine in it! Can type of the recipe later if you want?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->