Is spanking OK in your book

I and all my siblings were spanked. Heck I remember being spanked when I was 16. It certainly was a deterrent to misbehaving. We also got sent to our rooms a lot. Not sure if I'll use it or not, I'd certainly try other methods, like timeouts, first, but I can't say that I won't use spanking for certain because I don't have a kid yet.

I have never hit my child for all the same reasons i dont hit my husband, or anyone for that matter.
Timeout seems to be working just fine for us.

i think in moderation and never done in anger then yes it is ok, but i think each family has to make the decisions that are right for them - some will/some wont and its not right to judge either group xx

well i have learned that spanking my child does not work, it's easier to take something away from them (ground them from it) however, this probably does not work for all children, but spanking does not work for mine

I was spanked as a child. In asia, spanking is a common form of discipline. BUT growing up with such discipline, I can honestly tell you I didn't learn from spanking. I was more affected by the hurt that I see whenever I disappoint my parents.

But, I liked how my mom never spanked out of anger. She kept a straight face when she spanked us. You cant tell if she was hurting or she was getting the satisfaction from doing it. Which I really respect a lot.

There are other ways. Just my opinion. =)

Okay here's my spin on it. If you have a child that is at an age where you cant reason with them, or they just cant comprehend that a certain act can lead to harm, then yes. Im not talking a belting here, but in the instance that you child insists on doing something ie Im going to touch that hot stove whether you like it or not, then a small shock can discourage them from doing something harmful again. I hope you are all following what Im trying to say and dont think Im an orge!:dohh: Prevention is better than a cure, but sometimes its just not available and when a reaction is needed immediatley a small smack can be effective to keep them out of harms way. Toddlers dont understand what "No thats going to burn you" etc means, they've never experienced it. Reasoning kicks in as they grow and they can understand more, and it doesnt take long.And yes your probably all thinking well you should be watching that they dont get into that situation, but mothers are human too dont forget, especially when you add more children into the mix. My fav is making them sit at the top of the stairs, boring as bat sh*&t!:haha: Now Im at the stage where I take away mobile phones, useful tip for you ladies in the future, teenagers become more compliant without them, the washing up never gets done so fast!:haha: I grew up in the times when it was pefectly pc to belt your kids black and blue. My father was not shy when it came to punishing us kids, to be honest it probably would be classed as child abuse by todays standards. Im glad in a way he did, sounds a bit twisted, but it made me the opposite when in came to my kids. They got their tap on the bums when they were in peril, I used cloth nappies too, so there was plently on padding there, probably hurt less than when they fell on their bums, but I made sure it was never out of anger or frustration. Theyve grow up good kids who rarley get into trouble and do well at school, and I cant see any evidence that I have scarred them mentally from it. Time will tell I guess, when they have their own kids. Hmm this would have been easier to answer if it was about spanking and sex, yes my mind was in the gutter too when I read the title, you wernt alone girls!:blush::rofl:

I grew up in a home where spanking was a common form of punishment and often done in anger. I grew up in fear and made decisions not based on right or wrong but based on fear of my parents. To this day I have a terrible relationship with my parents (although I'm sure they think it's okay).

To be very honest I would prefer to never have to tell my parents that I'm pregnant because although they may not be violent any more, I do not trust them and would not like them in my child's life. I moved far away from them, talk to my mom at most once per month and have gone periods of years of not talking to her to remove the harm from my life. I would not care if I ever spoke to her again.

I believe that a lot more can be accomplished with more structured discipline. I know that I do not want my future kids to feel about me like I do my mom. It is a personal decision. The result of my parents decision is that they will never be a close part of my life or my children's life. It was a steep price to pay for their decisions.

Lol I thought we were talking about a different kind of spanking too!

I was smacked on the back of my legs as a child by both my mother and father, unfortunately it was when they had got to "the last straw" and I remember they were angry when they did it. Usually I was sent to sit on the bottom of the stairs but I can remember when I was small I would kick and scream in protest whilst sitting there which eventually led to the smack on the legs from one of them. As I got older and I knew the smack was coming (so obviously the smack didn't discourage me from misbehaving) I would "fight back" and either try to kick or hit my parents back, until one day I kicked my mother...hard...she fell over. I felt so guilty that day that I had hurt my mum, I can remember it clearly. I don't remember how old I was when the bottom of the stairs/smacking stopped but I know as a teenager I was sent to my room.

Anyway...with my DS I have tapped/smacked the back of his hand in "dangerous" situations e.g. going to touch a hot radiator (when he was younger) or letting go of my hand and trying to run off down the street. Otherwise he gets sent to "timeout" as he is 3 he goes for 3 mins when he turns 4 next month it will be for 4 mins. He is generally well behaved so this isn't often but when it needs to be done it is very effective, I think because I explain to him why, not just shouting "get to the stairs" like my parents did.

I love being spanked! .....oh.....you ment the kids...opps!! lol ;)

i think spanking is ok... just never in the face, just on the hands or the bum
and not to hurt but to shock them, and after everything else fails.
plus it has to work with the kid's personality, if you have a little devil-in-a-box
sometimes a slap on the hand is in order bc with the gentle approach they'll push
it further and further. if you have a goodie-two-shoes the spanking approach might be
really scarring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->