Is TENS safe for baby? Anyone hear of any concerns?

butterfly23

Reaction score
It seems a relatively new phenomenon, and one that is limited to the UK.

I would be interested in hearing of people's experiences with TENS in the past. Does it work? Do you have any concerns for it's effect on the little ones?

I have purchased one and am desperate to use it, but I just wanted to post here to be on the safe side.

I used a boots maternity tens machine during my labour and it was the best thing I ever did. Helped me get to 8 cm without gas and air! I still clung to it through my whole labour even though I think the pads had come off my back haha!!

was that your only pain relief? or did you rely on self hypnosis or birthing tub also towards the end?

Well I was meant to get an epidural as Amy was back to back but there was a delay in getting it and by the time I was able to it was pushing time!!

I used gas & air once I got down to labour suite (at 8cm) and I had a shot of dimorphine to tryand ease my contractions in order to wait for epidural but that didn't work! lol!!

Tens machine kept me at home for a decent amount of time. I loved it. It doesn't mask any pain but it distracts from it. I remember trying it at home to make sure it worked and thought how strong it felt, but when those contractions hit you're soon hitting the highest setting and it's amazing the feeling!!

I don't know if it helped me more as my amy was back to back so perhaps I experienced more back pain - not sure though?

My friend also used a tens machine and had one puff of gas and air before she delivered her little boy!

tens is bliss!! Had it with both pregnancies.

i found it really helped i got to 7cm with just the tens and then did the last bit on gas and air, it was about 30 mins after i had the baby that i realised i still had the pads on my back and it was on boost so i was sat there buzzing away!!

Didnt use hypnobirthing or birth pool just concentrated on big deep slow breaths,in through the nose out through your mouth almost as if you are blowing the pain away. Helps you focus on something else when the pain reaches its peak as you know the worst bit will only last for 3 or so big breaths.

It seems a relatively new phenomenon, and one that is limited to the UK.

I would be interested in hearing of people's experiences with TENS in the past. Does it work? Do you have any concerns for it's effect on the little ones?

I have purchased one and am desperate to use it, but I just wanted to post here to be on the safe side.

I used one when i had my eldest 8 years ago, (im from uk as well) i got it through the hospital - free - not sure if they still do that but i got it through going to my antenatal classes, i picked it up from the hospital a few weeks before i was due (to get used to how it works) and had to hand it back into the hospital once the baby was born.

I found it quite good, we wer reassured by the hospital that it was safe for the baby as all it does is tense your muscles. Anyway i got to the stage where i didnt think it was doing me any good so i turned it off :haha: ha! i quickly realised that was a mistake and turned it back on as fast as i had turned it off. Tens and breathing work really well together.

My eldest is 16 and TENS was definitely around back then and wasnt 'new' :)

TENS units are used here in Canada and have been since long before I got into birthy stuff so it's not "limited to the UK" as well....

And there is no studies that I am aware of that suggest that there is any harm to baby by using TENS in labour

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->