Is there anything I can take for congestion and tickly cough?

kirstybumx3

Mum to two boys, R&N
Reaction score
I'm so fed up!
I have terrible congestion, I've not been able to breathe through my nose for weeks. I constantly feel like I have mucus in my throat which has caused a tickly cough, when I cough I wretch and that usually ends in me being sick. It's got to the point it's really hurting my throat and stomach to cough I'm doing it so often. I've really had enough.
Is there anything at all I can take/do that might help? I've never been congested for so long ever and the other problems it's causing are frustrating me so bad. My nausea stopped a good couple of weeks ago but now I have another reason to be violently sick, grr!!!

I feel for you, I've been exactly the same for 2 weeks. All I took was paracetamol (for the headache and temperature) and cough syrup for the tickly cough. It's been so frustrating, especially at night time. To top it off I've pulled all my ribs from coughing which now hurts when I breathe!!
Fingers crossed you find a better remedy and you are feeling better soon.
Bx

Try a neti pot for your congestion. It's weird, but it helps.

For your cough, honey and lemon tea with real honey and real lemon (you can add ginger too if you want or a cinnamon stick). You shouldn't really take anything for a tickly cough anyway. It's annoying, but if you need to cough and clear your airways, you really should rather than taking a cough suppressant, which can ultimately make the infection worse if you have one. I don't personally take anything for a cough, pregnant or not, unless its a mucusy one (then there is medicine to help clear your airways and help you cough more productively, rather than make you not cough). If you are really struggling to breathe (wheezing, not just a dry throat), then an inhaler for short-term use, obviously prescribed, might help. That's perfectly safe to use in pregnancy.

Most antihistamines are category B and will help, but not as much as a decongestant. I take zyrtec for allergies and my doctor said benadryl was fine as well.

I have heard conflicting information about psuedophederine, when I was last pregnant the doctor said it was okay for occasional, nothing else works relief. I have heard not in the first tri, or not at all, so I would ask your doctor.

Thanks ladies. I happened to have a midwife appointment this afternoon and although I forgot to ask her, I remembered in the pharmacy so asked them there. They've given me some menthol crystals to dissolve in water and inhale the steam. I don't know why but I thought menthol was a no go in pregnancy?
Other than that she said there's not much she can suggest but paracetamol to take off the pain from coughing. Ugh.

To help with sleeping I've found breathe right strips help when used with either olbas oil or Vicks...

I've been drinking Twinings lemon and ginger tea for the last couple of days which has definitely helped with my cough.

I had this from being 4 months and I still have it now at 39 weeks. It's absolutely awful, I've lost my sense of taste of anything sweet, gagging and retching on the tiniest bits of mucus, lost hearing in one ear at one point for 3 weeks, wake up and wretch for 30 mins before I go work then always carry tissue.
I've come to terms with the fact I'm carrying slimer.
Doc said some women get it all the way thru pregnancy but it stops usually pretty quickly after birth. I drank water, had steroid ear sprays, nasal steroid spray, saline nasal sprays, I took decongestants but they didn't do out, it's poo.
I hope you feel better soon x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->