Is there anything to avoid whilst TTC?

Pumpkinb

Proud parents!
Reaction score
Hi girls

Hope you don't mind me coming in here but hubby and I want to start TTC in October, not long now.
However at the end of the month we are off on holiday to Florida....is there anything you are avoiding whilst ttc?
I know that there are certain foods to avoid whilst pregnant like pate, peanuts etc, but does the same apply to those TTC, I mean I love my peanut butter when I am out there but should I avoid this to be on the safe side.
I want to go to all the parks but can I use the rides etc or is there a risk there?
A bit confused by it all and wondering if to enjoy our holiday fully I should delay TTC for another month....don't really want to do that either though!
Help anyone?

Ive been thinking the same about peanut butter too! I love it, but should i give it up whilst ttc?

What's the 411 on no peanut butter? I've never heard this! Good thing I only eat the occassional Reese's Cup! :lol:

When TTC I would try to cut back on caffeine, alcohol and generally processed foods, or that's what I've done anyway.
There is nothing wrong with the odd glass of :wine: and although caffeine is bad I'm sure the occasional cup wont hurt.

At the end of the day I would say that you cannot 'put your life on hold' just 'cos your TTC, be safe and sensible and treat your body well, but you cannot stop life :hugs:

thats wot my hubs says. he said until u know for sure carry on as normal. still trying to be careful though. Im sure they say u should avoid pate.

Doesn't eating peanuts while pregnant mean the baby has a small chance of developing an allergy to nuts? Could be wrong

As for being careful... I tend to agree that you're can't alter your whole life. Just don't go on 12 drink benders twice a week!

Hmm...I've never heard the peanut thing either...I'm a peanut butter freak...ate it the whole time I was PG with my Daughter....she is fine. No one ever told me otherwise....but if there is a REAL reason to not eat it....I wanna know too!!
As far as the question goes...I'd go on as usual. I wouldn't worry too much until you are for sure PG.

Doesn't eating peanuts while pregnant mean the baby has a small chance of developing an allergy to nuts? Could be wrong

As for being careful... I tend to agree that you're can't alter your whole life. Just don't go on 12 drink benders twice a week!

I remember hearing this from my friend when she was pregnant. She said it was for the reasons stated above.

Also there is the usual soft cheeses etc to avoid and also home made ice creams she said too - something to do with bacteria same reason as soft cheeses I spose??

If I was told to stay away from peanut butter I don't know what I would do. Have not heard this from anyone as of yet. :) I would have a blast in Flordia and don't worry about it - just don't be going swimming with sharks or bungy jumping or anything! :) Have fun!

Hi, you need to avoid caffine, smoking, large amounts of alcohol, anything with vitamin A, ie pate cos it causes birth defects, not sure about the peanut butter...:hugs:

Oh they also say to eat organic foods, which is what i have been trying, hope this helps! x

Someone else posted this site a few weeks ago and I found it really useful:

https://www.askamum.co.uk/Trying-to...oid-if-youre-trying-to-conceive-/?&R=EPI-3712

The peanut thing is about allergies. Those with a personal history (or the father has a history) of atopy (which is asthma, hay fever or eczema) or food allergies, should avoid peanuts during pregnancy.

Hope that helps

Hi, you need to avoid caffine, smoking, large amounts of alcohol, anything with vitamin A, ie pate cos it causes birth defects, not sure about the peanut butter...:hugs:

Do you know if you should avoid vit A whenever poss, or just about 2500 daily?

Yah, I heard staying away from soft cheeses too! Which is going to be hard for me because I am a Feta FREAK!:rofl:

Also, I read this amazing book on eating healthy when you're pg and it's a real eye opener... Not sure if I'm allowed to post that kind of thing though? I hope it's okay, but it's called "Skinny B*tch, Bun in the oven." Google it! Don't be fooled by the title either lol it's not about being skinny.

The food standards agency website says feta is ok (as long as pasteurised) but I know lots of people say it isn't...

it's all too confusing!

The food standards agency website says feta is ok (as long as pasteurised) but I know lots of people say it isn't...

it's all too confusing!

Ohhh you've given me hope!:happydance:

I take one a day womans vitamins...are all those vitamins ok?

Vitamin A should be avoided as high intakes of vitamin A (retinol) during the first few weeks of pregnancy may harm your baby (think it is something to do with causing contactions). In the early days when you may not know you are pregnant it is advisable to avoid eating foods that are particularly high in vitamin A, e.g. liver, liver sausage and cod liver oil. Vitamin A found in fruits and vegetables (carotene) are safe to eat. One a day womens vitamins tend to contain Vit A, therefore a vitmanin for conceiving, such as pregnacare, would be probably more suitable.

Good luck girls.

thanks all. So you think I should be ok to TTC just before going on hols? I reckon that I should be ov'ing the week before we fly out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gonzalo123
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->