Is there much point in setting up the nursery?

Kirsty3051

Wife & mum of 3!
Reaction score
We currently rent a 3 bedroom house (1 bedroom is being used as a home office) in the UK but are hoping to buy in January 2016. Our baby is due towards the end of January 2015 and will be in with us until June-July at the very earliest if everything goes to plan. Obviously, we don't know when we'll find or be able to move in to our new property.

So my question is: Is there much point in us setting up a nursery? We've bought all of his furniture but are yet to set it all up and decorate. Although it's not a big spend, DH thinks we should just wait until we're in our forever home before we 'waste' money on paint, flooring, ect. I want to decorate. I'll only have my first baby once and want to make the most of this experience. As of right now, his newborn-2 year clothes (we've picked up a lot of sale items as we've gone) are being stored in big plastic tubs because we haven't built the furniture.

DH wants a small age gap between our first 2 children and if I were to fall pregnant before we move, our house is going to be a hot mess.

What do you all think?

If it was me I would do it, but that is just me, I love to decorate and I love to add my touch in any home we live In . We only lived in our previous place for six months but I still HAD to decorate it.

We've also decorated this little ones nursery but we are looking to move again (personal reasons) in April time, baby is due December.

It's definitely a personal choice I think, maybe if you don't want to totally splash out you could get some wall stickers etc? :)

We are only in our place until June (after that we will move back to the states). Our baby will likely be sleeping with us for a lot of that time. I DID set up a nursery and LOVE it! There is something really satisfying about it :) There is a twin bed in there which I have actually been sleeping in because my pillow mountain is a bit more comfy in there than when sleeping with my husband. Overall, I think it is worthwhile to have some sort of a nursery. It feels good. You don't have to go all out (we didn't). But the furniture is set up and I put in some minimal decorations. It looks super cute and we spent at most 100 euros on it :)

I would too. I feel like having the nursery as the "go to" place for all of his things and throughout the nesting process has been essential for me. If we didn't have the space, it would be a different story obviously, but if you do, I'd do it.

We went and bought our paint! SO excited to get started. OH is pulling everything out of his room now :D

Will do! :D

I've been looking at some wooden letters on Etsy so just need to decide on a name and get them ordered x

spent £60 getting 'Lincoln' made and delivered for OH to change his mind!

I bought some wooden letters from hobby craft and I decorated them myself they where very reasonable prices too. I will try find a picture and I will upload to show you :)

I LOVE them! Your nursery is adorable!

What's that in the bottom right corner? X

Oh god. I thought her back was part of a chair and was trying to figure out what her hair was. Sorry! Can't zoom much without closing the picture on this tablet x

:rofl:

I didn't even notice her at first if I'm honest so when you asked I had to zoom in too lol.

Kirsty, I'm glad you guys are decorating! In the end it will be the babies room, and you should feel good going into it. Like you said, you'll only have your first once.
Have fun, I can't wait to see what you do!

I think it's really important for a pregnant woman to bw able to set up a babies nursery, it's what nesting is actually all about. Gathering and sorting and preparing for a new baby.

I might not go all out, over the top, painting murals and putting in custom flooring, but I'd set up a nursery. If I moved into an apartment for a year I'd make it my own, and it sounds like you'll have at least a year there before the baby comes, if I'm reading right. Even if he's sleeping with you, he'll need a place for all his things.

We've painted and set up all of his furniture since I made this thread. Just have a few little things to add and it's finished :) X

This is a similar situation to us. We rent a house but want to buy in the not too distant future. We aren't allowed to paint the walls in our rental, so I've made do with covering the walls with pictures and paintings and I made some cute bunting. It's not exactly how I wanted it to be as I have loads of ideas for her room, but it'll do for now and actually looks quite nice :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->