Is this common.........

penguin77

Pround mummy of 2 :-)
Reaction score
Hello,

Had my second m/w appointment yesterday which was a mixed bag. Did all the usual stuff , bloods, urine sample, B/P which was ok and then we moved on to the doppler.......
She said that since i had my scan last week and all was well she was willing to try and hear the baby heartbeat but that there would be a chance that we wouldn't be able to hear it....so she gave me the choice just in case i became disappointed.
Well of course i said YES, considering i'd read that people have done this at home with success at 10 weeks (and i am 13 weeks today!).
She tried and tried.....but she couldn't find it. I was gutted but ok at the time.....but today i feel down about it.
I don't want to go out and buy one as i think it would make me obsessed....but i have to wait till i'm nearly 17 weeks for my next appintment.

Is this common...and is it all down to old equipment thei're using?

xxx

13 weeks is still very early to hear the h/b. Even at 16, 17 weeks its hit and miss hun. Try not to worry. I dont think she should really have asked you to be honest, all its going to do is worry you until your next appt. Is there any way you could get a scan, to reassure you? xxxxx

its normal that sometimes they cant find the heartbeat. it just to do wth the position of the baby and how experienced the midwife is , when i was 36 weeks pregnant the midwife couldnt find my babys heart beat for about 10 mins then another midwife [mmore experienced] came and found it within seconds.

i wouldnt worry about it , just wait until the next appointment. if they were worried about baby youd know, im sure baby is well :)

Sorry, can't help you out but I am sure someone will be along soon X

With my last there were times that at 20 weeks+ and she couldn't find the heartbeat due to baby laying funny and dodgy old equipment, dont worry hun xxxxxxxxxxx

I wouldnt worry hun, like everyone has said its still early on so its hit and miss. If you had a scan last week and everything was fine then i wouldnt worry

Thanks everybody... i think i just needed some reassurance. The m/w did mention that my baby seemed to be positioned behind my pelvis...so i presume it hasn't moved up yet...as i've read it should pop up around now...if you know what i mean!
As i still look chubby rather than pregnant :rofl:

The scan was less than a week ago and all was well and got put forward so I'm going to try and relax.
Thanks again.

xxxxxx

If you're really nervous it's worth looking into a private scan. We have one here that we can pay $20 to get a scan to see the heartbeat! As early as 8 weeks. I'm going to give it a try I think...just to put my mind at ease. Maybe you can find something like that in the meantime?

When I went for my first prenatal appointment at 11 weeks the doctor said it is usually hard to find a heartbeat that early, but the med student working with her tried just for experience and he found it within a few seconds! We were all surprised, but I think it really depends on where the baby is and on the shape of your body too.

Here they won't check for Heartbeat til' 14 weeks, and doctor said he doesn't worry about it if he can't find it.

In Ontario however I heard the heartbeat from 10 weeks on at every appt. I went to. Although even later on occasionally they had trouble finding it.

Thanks all for your thoughts .....i'm going to just try and relax about the whole thing. My midwife did warn me before we tried so it must happen pretty often for her, or it might be the damn machine. Like i said i only had the scan last Thursday and all was well then......
My LO was probably hiding and being stubborn.....one of my traits LOL

XXXXXXXXXXX

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"