is this it? :(

angela98661

Reaction score
I went to family planning to get birth control. I completely trust my clinician ad vice that the affects of the depo shot is so low not to worry about a dip in breastmilk. She said out of hundreds of patients she had she never had anyone with problems breastfeeding and having the shot.

Its been a few days and my supply has taken big dip. I was told it might be the pump or just me!? Cuz I had to return my Lactina select from medella....sad and wic gave me a free electric pump that doesn't work as good.

The question is ..... am I drying out and won't be able to breastfeed? I'm sad

The depo shot is one of the methods classed as safe for mums to have while breast feeding because its a progestin only contraceptive. I'm not saying that isn't the reason why you have noticed a dip but it may just be coincidental.
Continue to pump/ bf your baby over the next couple of days and if you don't notice any improvement then you may benefit from going to your doc or back to family planning x

I also went on the depo shot with my first and suffered a severe drop in supply. It didn't recover until after the three months that the shot lasts for sadly. But it didn't dry up all together and I fed DS for 22 months. So you can feed through it. All it meant for me was that I had to feed him slightly more often and he stopped sttn:cry: and woke for two feeds a night because he couldn't get full enough!! But I was a sahm for the first year so this didn't bother me so much.

My dr still tells me that it is approved for BFing mothers and they usually recommend it for BFing mums because it does not affect supply. But did acknowledge that she had several mums who said it did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->