Is This Normal? Advice+Experience Needed!

Leopard

2yrOld;3rdTriBoy
Reaction score
Hey ladies! I need some advice and experience, I'm worried DD is progressing too quickly!
Firstly she STTN for the last two nights, and has still had her usual naps through the day.
Secondly she had her first tummy time tonight and rolled onto her back without assistance (and looked quite pleased with herself!)
Thirdly her cord stump dropped off tonight!

She's 5 days old. Is any of this normal? Your own experience with your LOs would be appreciated. She feeds well, is on BM, she also has .6mLs of antibiotics at night to prevent UTI (just because of a small kidney issue). She was born 5lb 11oz (not sure if that has any bearing) and can push her head up when having tummy time, as well as lift her legs in the air.

Help please!

all sounds great to me; keep an eye on her weight and make sure she's gaining well. if she is then no need to wake her at night for feeds. she's still very little so she may need waking if her weight gain is a bit slow.

wow, she rolled over at FIVE days old?! MY baby is 14 weeks and still hasn't done that yet! Sorry no experience with what you have. She also didnt STTN until around 5 weeks old.

all sounds great to me; keep an eye on her weight and make sure she's gaining well. if she is then no need to wake her at night for feeds. she's still very little so she may need waking if her weight gain is a bit slow.

Weight gain has also been brilliant :) She only lost about 5% body weight but has put that back on already. Thanks for commenting!

wow, she rolled over at FIVE days old?! MY baby is 14 weeks and still hasn't done that yet! Sorry no experience with what you have. She also didnt STTN until around 5 weeks old.

Thanks for commenting. Yeah this is why I found it weird, I thought it should take wayyy longer.

It could be a false dawn re. the STTN. Birth really takes it out of babies and they get incredibly tired and sleep a lot after the birth. Hope it stays the same for you! xx

I don't see any issues with it. Although from what my doctor has said you don't want them STTN quite yet so wake her up for a feeding. Our doctor in the first 2 weeks said don't want her going longer than 4 hours without a feeding. After 2 weeks can work on getting her longer and longer stretches. But if your LO is already a good sleeper consider that to be a good thing. Also I wouldn't worry about rolling over from front to back so early. Just means your LO is a bit stronger than other babies. My LO has been rolling over consistently for a week now. We can't keep her on her tummy anymore. My mom said that when I was only 2 weeks old I was sleeping through the night consistently. My cousin was sleeping through the night after only 3 days and he had to be woken up to feed.

Nearly 20 week old LO here and he hasnt rolled yet, apart from 1 attempt in the bath tub!

For how long did she go without a feed at night hun? Omar was a sleepy baby so we had to wake him up for feeds every 4 hours at night. He never cried for milk so we had to schedule his feeds. At 4 weeks we started to Offer him a feed after 6 hours of night sleep, then we stretched it to 8 hrs & at 12 weeks he was sleeping through for 12 hrs without feeds.

Omar rolled over few times from tummy to back when he was few days old, he had very good head control from birth, he used to loose balance when lying on his tummy, so it wasn't really rolling over.

I agree with OmarsMum. Sometimes rolling from tummy to back that early is a matter of losing balance. Alex didn't do it for real until 5 weeks and then rolled back to tummy at around 4 months.

My LO slept loads the first few days. The midwives at the hospital were concerned that sge was so sleepy because she was exhausted from not getting enough milk. No one told me that you're 'supposed' to feed babies every four hours and wake them in the night! She was 6lb 3oz. It did change though, I think her stomach just got bigger.

8 months and not rolled here!!!! :)

She sleeps about 6hrs and then wakes up for her feed. She will usually suckle for approx 20-40 mins before either being quietly alert or drifting back off to sleep. She's a very opinionated baby, she makes sure I know when to feed her, change her and put her to bed :haha: I honestly dont think she over balanced, she made a good effort of pushing herself onto her back. I figure if she was going to over balance she would have done so when she was pushing her legs into the air :shrug:

She's also an active feeder, never had a problem with her being too tired to eat when hungry. Even at hospital, she was put into the nursery for 6hrs one night and slept through the midwives were not bothered, so I never heard the 4hr rule. I was told if they are putting on good weight and eating suffientely when awake it was fine?

My baby slept through the night the first 4 nights, but now he sleeps from 8pm-2am, eats and is back out till 6. My pedi said as long as they are back to birth weight you can let them sleep as long as they want :)

He also rolled from back to belly about 4 times in the first couple weeks. He stopped doing that after a while and now is 12 weeks and not rolling over either way yet.

A quick update, I decided to check if the rolling was a fluke, and guess what, she has done it 5 more times! It so cute when she pushes herself over. She nearly did back to front today but couldn't quite get over, and in tummy time she dragged herself about 30cm :D

I don't think you've anything to worry about. Sounds like you've struck it lucky!! I wouldn't worry about waking, 6hrs between feeds is fine, as long as weight gain is going well. Hope it lasts for you!! My daughter has STTN since about 6 weeks old, now sleeps for 12hrs at night (she's 4 months now), I count my blessings every day!

A quick update, I decided to check if the rolling was a fluke, and guess what, she has done it 5 more times! It so cute when she pushes herself over. She nearly did back to front today but couldn't quite get over, and in tummy time she dragged herself about 30cm :D

Wow!! You have a very clever little lady!

Enjoy your happy, chilled out baby. Get her weighed regularly but otherwise I see no need to wake her for a feed at all, 6 hours is fab :)

xx

Hey ladies! I need some advice and experience, I'm worried DD is progressing too quickly!
Firstly she STTN for the last two nights, and has still had her usual naps through the day.
Secondly she had her first tummy time tonight and rolled onto her back without assistance (and looked quite pleased with herself!)
Thirdly her cord stump dropped off tonight!

She's 5 days old. Is any of this normal? Your own experience with your LOs would be appreciated. She feeds well, is on BM, she also has .6mLs of antibiotics at night to prevent UTI (just because of a small kidney issue). She was born 5lb 11oz (not sure if that has any bearing) and can push her head up when having tummy time, as well as lift her legs in the air.

Help please!

What is it you want help with? Sorry I am probably missing the obvious, my brain is tired :haha:
I can't see the problem with her stump falling off (I couldn't wait for LO's to fall off, not pretty!) as long as it doesn't look infected/isn't oozing or smelly.
The rolling thing is fine, every baby does it at different times, as long as she's not upset I can't see a problem with it :shrug:
I was told not to let LO have more than one 4 hour sleep a night, for me it was let him sleep 4 hours, wake to feed, then wake to feed every 3 hours if he didn't wake himself. However different places have different advice. As others have said sometimes babies are sleepy from the birth and don't wake as much as they should. Also undiagnosed jaundice/iron issues can cause them not to wake for a feed. But since your midwives have said it's fine then it sounds like you're A-OK there :thumbup:
Try not to be too concerned about your baby doing things on time/too quickly, every baby does some things early/late but that's OK!
She sounds lovely :)

Thanks girls! I count myself lucky every day with her after all the horror stories I had heard prior to labor! Hope all your LOs are going well xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->