Is this normal? What *is* normal?

J..K

Reaction score
We just found out we're pregnant, first baby. (I did post in the teen forum also) I've been having really really bad gas pains :shy: it's really quite strange. Is this normal? It seems to move from my stomach to my chest and down to my intestines again. I can feel air bubbles in my tummy...what in the world? It's very uncomfortable, what can I do?

Secondly, I am cramping moderately. I've felt like this for a week or two, it feels a lot like period pains. We thought we'd have a period, but instead we've got a baby! Is this normal? It's not all the time, but when it is, it's usually on my left side, higher up. Sometimes it's on the opposite side, also higher up. It's not where a uterus should be, if I recall correctly. What's up with that?

We're heading to the doctor today or tomorrow to discuss our options. But in the meantime I get painful bursts of cramping and very uncomfortable bloating/gas! Even passing the gas doesn't help, it seems unending!!! Is there a reason my pain is so weirdly high up? And on both sides? Twins runs in my family - every female along my mom's side has had twins and I was a twin also. My dad's side has a few cases of multiples but nothing in a pattern. Could I be having twins and something is weirdly wrong?

I was in pain one night I got so worried and in the end I think it was down to gas and bowels :blush:

Period cramping in pregnancy ... you think it goes don't you HA not a chance perfectly normal on & off through pregnancy I had it more in my first tri than now & most definately on my left side more.

Nothing you have said makes me thing anything could be wrong.

Good luck today & welcome to BabyandBump

x

Hi Jessica, what you're experiencing is normal. Many women, including myself experience horrible gas pains everywhere from lower chest area down to lower pelvic area. Cramping is normal too as long as you don't find yourself spotting much. Your doctor should be able to reassure you of what you're feeling. Your body will be going through so many changes so there will be times when you feel some strange and unfamiliar things. All in all it sounds normal to me hun! I don't think you have a need to worry.

I went to a doctor today and got blood work done to determine how far along baby is. I explained about the really bad cramps and gas and he told me it's not related!!! Without even looking at or examining me! Weird...

He said cramps are not related to pregnancy????

Yes. I explained that I was having sharp shooting pains in my uterus-ish area, and I told him that I get sharp pains below my hips, usually on the left side and that it only started this month. He said it's not related to this pregnancy....Which is strange. Clearly it must be related, I don't usually even get cramps while on my period. Something is either wrong, or it's all okay but it's normal, and he didn't help calm me any!

Idiot!

Cramps are related Jessica ... I & other girls can relate to it I was worrying and had a handful of topics started here in the first tri over it every time they felt like they were somewhere else or that little different. Your silly quack! :hugs: I hate it went they aren't reassuring. Don't get me wrong cramps don't mean everything is ok but does not mean anything is wrong ... thats with every one of us hun we all start in the same boat until we see our bean. Only time to make sure you seek medical attention if the pain is that bad you have to curl over, is accompanied by shouder pain or bleeding.

x

I get cramps all the time. The first week late I figured my period would come any minute. My cramps where by my uterus the first week and then decided just to hang out on my left side (probably because my cyst). My DR said no worries unless I start bleeding with my cramps. Hope this helps ease your mind a bit!

If they get to bad and you have bleeding or pains in your shoulders then go to A&E, pain doesn't mean they is something wrong it is just everything streching but it is better to be safer than sorry

xxx

I had cramps all the time and worried myself stupid and as wobbles said... they're perfectly normal... I still get them now and again. Its just your uterus stretching and your body adapting to the pregnancy

Thank you ladies, so much! I pretty much know it's related, I was so shocked by his answer!

Weird question though: did your pain change depending on what you were doing? I find that if I start laughing really hard or get really really excited or upset, my cramps tend to get worse! Maybe I'm just noticing them more?

The pain got very very bad today for a while. It could be lack of sleep...I was awake for about 48 hours straight after finding out. But when I did wake up after a long long sleep, my cramps were SO bad that when I tried to get up I laid right back down again. I tried to go to the bathroom (thinking it was the spanish I ate last night!) and suprisingly, it hurt to poo (for lack of better word!)! That is SO weird, it never happens to me! :)

Anyways, I didnt call the doctor or anything, it subsided after a while. It was similar in intensity to the time I contracted E.Coli after vacationing in Cuba actually. But it seems to come and go, so I'm thinking it's just normal and I am just unused to it. I am extremely sensitive there, whenever my doctor does pap smears it HURTS like hell and bleeds quite a bit. Hmph. Am I in for a long, painful pregnancy? =P

If your curling up in agony alot defo go see someone. Pains/cramps for me changed for me also I think we notice it more, sounds like it could be bowels also it really helped going to the bathroom sometimes.:blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->