Is this normal?

pgfairy

Reaction score
One of my breasts has two quite large areas outside the nipple on the aeriola that seem to connect to milk ducts and release colostrum when I self express (currently using nipple stimulation to try and get this labour party started.)

Is this normal? The first time I tried to use a breast pump it messed with the suction because they are far enough from the nipple proper that they got colostrum on the cup and broke the seal, and if pinched down on inside the pump they get very sore!

I was going to ask my lactation consultant at birth but thought Id see if you ladies have any insights? Thanks :shrug:

I don't think that is normal, but maybe and its just not normal for me or anyone I know of? (but honestly, its probably not something my friends who breastfeed would tell me if it is something that happens to them.) I would say try googling it or ask you LC or doc?

It sounds like you have accessiry/supernumerary nipples. It is very normal and during pregnancy they can occur anywhere on the mammary ridge, which is an invisible line between your shoulders and hips (so some people get a line down their tummy like a cat or dog). They usually disappear once the body recognises they are not being used to feed baby but you may have a few weeks where they will leak while you are feeding LO and you may have to adjust your breast pads to accommodate them.

I was curious so I googled it and not only is it normal but after reading about one lady's experience I looked at the bottom of my breast realized that I have one to! It is at the base of my nipple on my areola lol. That is why sometimes Ian's cheeks, neck, and shirt get a little wet when he is trying to get a deep latch and sometimes milk leaks from my flange on my breast pump just a little. (Ian usually has to try a few times to get a deep latch but he does it on his own until he gets it right)

Thanks kajastarlight I appreciate your taking the time to look into it :) Yeah its normal apparently, I just got a bit unlucky with how many I have and the positioning, it makes using a pump very difficult and its causing us some latch issues because its warping my nipple shape at first especially with my milk coming in and engorgement!!

Anyone else have these cause issues with early latching and using a pump? still looking for tips.

I didn't experience this with breastfeeding Thomas, but did with Sophie on my right breast. I couldn't ever get a seal on it from a pump, I'm sorry to say.

I didn't experience this with breastfeeding Thomas, but did with Sophie on my right breast. I couldn't ever get a seal on it from a pump, I'm sorry to say.

I'm really sorry to hear that minties, did you have any problems with baby latch that you might have some helpful hints for? We are working the breast burger method but having hit and miss success.

Pgfairy, I assume when you say "we" you mean you have a lactation consultant you are working with? If not that is thebest thing you can do right now. They are great!
As I stayed before, I didn't even know i had one before I looked into this, but hopefully yours will give you no more trouble than the occasional messy feed

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->