Is this standard obgyn procedure?

adr75050

Reaction score
I'm scheduled for a c-section on 9/28 (I had a prior uterine surgery), and my doctor told me today to come back in two weeks and then come to weekly appointments. I thought I would start going weekly as of now? Guess not. Also my last appointment she mentioned wanting to do one final sono before the baby comes. But after my appointment today she simply used a Doppler and frowned like something was wrong . I asked her why she made that expression and was something wrong. She said no I just can't tell what position the baby is in. I told her I never feel the baby up high always real low. She said she may be breech and that she would just sono me on 9/25 so she knows the babies position in order to decide what kind of incision to make. I haven't had a sono since 25weeks, does this sound right?

As far as the appointments go. Sounds normal to me. Typically you start going every week after your 36 week appointment.

I'm not sure if everyone gets an ultrasound to determine babies position but I do know tons of ladies on here have had 1 final ultrasound to determine 100 percent babies position.

Appointments sound right as other poster mentioned it is usually every week once you hit 36 weeks, as far as telling where the baby is, I can't say 100% but I honestly don't remember having any more ultrasounds after my anatomy scans with my other 2 and since they were born vaginally, I'd think they'd know before hand so they wouldn't be delivering a breech baby...there are definitely things that give it away such as where they find the heart beat.

The appointment scheduling sounds right, every week starting at 36 weeks. As for the ultrasound, here there are only 2 standards- around 12 weeks and the 20 week.

I agree w the pp we get mayb one in the beginning to get a correct due date and one at 20 weeks and that's it

I don't personally think I have had a ultrasound to determine position with either of my previous pregnancies, but as I've said before I have seen quite a few ladies who have had scans late to determine position and approximate weight of baby.

I don't see what the point is of determining position if a section is to be done? I uad growth scans with Sophie as I had gestational diabetes but late pregnancy scans don't seem usual in westernised countries.

I know with my first 2 I didn't start 1 week appointments until 36 weeks. Had an ultrasound near the end only due to GD for the 1st and Pre E for the 2nd. This time around is completely different due to twins, GD and watching for PreE.

Sounds like they are doing everything by the book though.

I am doing appointments every two weeks until the last month, then it's weekly doppler monitoring. I'm having my last scan on monday, that's a long time before labour. All the same, my ob touches my bump and he can tell how she's positioned. He told me before he could even see it on the scan pic and he was right. I guess they should be able to tell roughly speaking...

Seems normal. I start my weekly appointments on the 8th, and I'm supposed to have one last sono to determine baby's position too. My last appt was the anatomy scan at 19 weeks.

Re doctor appointments - my OB started seeing me weekly from 35 weeks on, but before then I was being seen monthly. I know other OBs see patients every other week once they hit the third trimester, but my doc has a different system apparently. Everyone does it a little differently, but I know the standard is to be seen weekly only during the very last month of pregnancy.

Re scans - again this depends a lot on the practice and the individual doctor. Many doctors only do a few scans, while others may do one every time. Mine has given me one on most appointments, but they're really short, like 1-2 minutes. He just quickly checks the heart beat, amniotic fluid and umbilical cord, and confirms that baby is still head down, and that's it, end of scan. On occasion he may take measurements, but definitely not every time. Like I said, it varies between different doctors and different practices.

I guess I am just concerned because I read on her so many women have had their baby scanned and know where their baby falls in the percentile ratings and approximately their baby's weight. I know none of that. I feel clueless. Should I know that at this point. My doctor only measures my bump and sends me on my way. I have no clue what position my baby is in, I'm guessing breech bc i have never felt movement above my navel. Always really low. I have an anterior placenta tho. She says she do an u/s on the Friday before my c-section so she knows the babies position prior to surgery. I'm just feeling uncomfortable about so many unknowns.

My first DS was a 'regular' pregnancy and I didn't know the percentiles or anything. My DD was a high risk pregnancy and I did know everything but even then it was because I was asking, otherwise they would tell me "baby is right on track" or "baby looks perfect" without any real information.

I think they, meaning those in the medical profession, tend to give info on a need to know basis as to not overwhelm people. If you ask though your doc will most likely have the info and give it to you.

Every week after 36 weeks is right, unless there are issues brought up that need more close monitoring.

I had an ultrasound WHILE I was in labor with LO #1 because the OB couldn't tell what position he was in. I was adamant that he was head-down because he had been the whole time and I was still getting kicked in the ribs, but she said she "didn't feel a head down there." She was wrong, and despite it being a pain in the ass, I'm glad I didn't let her push me for a c-sec based on her "feeling"!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->