Is this what they call the language explosion?

iiTTCii

Mummy of two
Reaction score
My LO only had about 5 words until a couple of weeks ago but since then, she has been adding about 3 words a day. I would say she has about 40 words now (all in context too as she is pointing and doing the action she is saying). Is this what they call the language explosion? Or is that when they start saying 2 words at a time?
It has literally come out of nowhere. It melts my heart every time I hear her little cute voice.

Also.. Will she just continue to pick up words at the same rate now or will it slow down/speed up?

Yes, that is a language explosion. My son went through about 3 of them in his first year. So, don't be surprised if she starts talking even more than this at 18 months. I had originally thought there was only one.

A language explosion is when the language suddenly picks up. It doesn't have to do with whether or not they string words together. But when they do string words together, that is another kind of language explosion. For my son, he never slowed down. But he might have stayed the same for a few months. And then he'd suddenly have another language explosion where he'd start stringing words together. And then another language explosion where he started stringing sentences together.

Edward is going through one at the moment. His last one was at 17m. I've always s found development generally goes in fits and starts. I also find their hair grows lol :)

That's it! My son went through his language explosion around 18 months. He went from saying abour 15-20 words to learning at least one new word a day. He is now almost 2 and says hundreds of words, repeats everything I say to him, and talks in short sentences. His language did not slow down once he started, however your lo is a bit younger than he was, so I wouldn't worry if it comes in spurts. It's so exciting when they start to talk!

Yes but I think once it starts it's just like a snowball.

At a year my DD had about 40 words and she's learned a few a day since. Now we're unable to count and she puts up to 5 together.

It's incredible how much they learn and how fast! Enjoy it. It's the most fun time!

And it's wonderful having an early talker as she she can tell us if something is wrong or if she wants something so it makes life a lot easier!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->