ISIS and child beheadings?

I think you nailed it, Eleanor!

Here, "Islamism" would mean the entire faith. Groups like ISIS (etc) would be called extremists. That would clear up the confusion on my part. Its tough when different cultures have different words/meanings about things.

Case in point: Here, the term "spazz" isn't seen as offensive. If you say you are a spazz or someone is being a spazz it means you're being silly, ditzy etc. But I've had a few strips torn off me from some ladies across the pond as it is a very derogatory word to some people. I was mortified. :blush:

:hugs: Nora, it really is awful what is going on. :nope:

Argh I've done this myself, I was merrily talking to my friend in a bar about a lecture we'd been to, used a term we'd learnt and nearly got punched out by an American for whom the term was extremely offensive, nigtmare!

I think it's very dangerous to see the perpetrators of these horrific acts as inhuman/ without souls/ monsters. In previous conflicts it has been friend against friend, neighbour against neighbour. These are human beings exactly the same as you or I. I highly doubt any of us or the people we know and love would do anything even remotely like this but I do think it's naive and dangerous to seperate ourselves so entirely from these people.

I think it is far too complicated to say them baddies, us goodies. I also think there will be serious political implications whether or not we get involved and it's very scary.

This.

I think the thing that scares me most about the whole situation is that knowing about previous conflicts in countries, you can IGNORANTLY say that 'it's their way of life, culture, what they know' etc... Genocide in African countries such as,' it's what happens and they're used to it. An individual person being able to kill someone outright, how can they contemplate it?
Now it's British, US etc citizens that are joining extremist groups, people that have comfortably lived in a westernised society, not witnessed atrocities on a daily basis that can now just go over a kill someone with an AK47 or behead a reporter.
My head always goes back to one of the London 7/7 bombers. i read he was a very well liked teacher of an average state school, by pupils and parents.A normal bloke. Not a monster or anyone that has a mental illness, nor a man that's grown up in a country where there's genocide or war .... No excuse really.how did he end up strapping a bomb to himself to kill innocent people?

It's very hard to read between the propaganda ..is the west ever right for intervening??

I prefer to remove ISIS from religion altogether. Although they claim to be Islamic, they clearly aren't. I can't comprehend why it takes two public beheadings of Americans for the world to be outraged. These terrorists cause so much pain and suffering to those who share their religion and nationality, it's appalling. It should never be condoned. You cannot pass the blame on. To admit to even a small amount of blame would to be giving into these ridiculous views.
We must remember that regardless of the threat to us, so many very innocent people are being killed, abused, or even radicalised themselves on a daily basis. And I just don't believe we should ignore that. The west does of a very good job of wearing blinkers, and not seeing atrocity until it concerns us.
Should we do something? Yes, I believe so. I'm not sure what, and I'm not sure how we could help. But we shouldn't sit back and watch innocent people be torn limb from limb in some ridiculous power struggle that's being passed under the guise of religion.

David Haines has now been beheaded. This is scary, very scary.

I'm sad for the world my daughter now lives in :nope:

It's is upsetting and scary. So is the misplaced anger at muslim's and the religion.

This is my current Facebook status;

''If anyone on my friends list thinks it is okay to use the recent vile acts from people who claim to be Muslims as on okay to spout crap about Muslims, their religion or any religion as a whole. Then kindly delete yourself from my Facebook.

Spouting things about Muslims terrorists being okay with committing suicide because of no Christmas, no pork products, rag clothes, towels for hats, Muslims wives smelling worse than donkeys, idiots wailing from towers all day etc etc is aimed at the whole religion (because their religious attire, customs and practises are the same regardless of whether they are terrorists or not) and not aimed specifically at the minority you should be angry with (who incidentally aren't committing such acts as Muslims as they claim but as terrorists. Full stop.).

Oh and before anyone else claims I'm a sympathiser, wrong, I find acts of terrorism as vile, disgusting and atrocious as you do but I refuse to allow a whole religion become scape goats for a tiny minority who claim to be part of that religion. I refuse to allow the daily mail and their followers spout crap that belittles, humiliates, and vilifies a whole section of society. I refuse to allow xenophobia to be part of my life!!!

Rant over.''

I've seriously read all of those comments today, alongside 'nuking the lot of them' (referring to the whole religion). I can't even begin to imagine how upsetting and distressing it must be for those who practise the faith and are lumped in with terrorists and such awful things written about their religious beliefs, customs etc. I'm really angry today.

Agreed 100% Tasha. These people aren't Muslims, they are a world away. Cruel evil murderers, they don't deserve to call themselves from any religion. Nobody wants them.

:nope:

I agree Tasha. It's so unbelievable that so many of us could be so stupid as to think this way, but tragically so many do. Isn't like 60% of young white British people think that all Muslims are dangerous and want to harm people. And I sat in on a year 8 class about six months ago. They were learning about Islam. I swear down about half of the class (in Kendal, so a very white and Christian area) started shouting about how we should kill them all and getting really passionate about it. Then the teacher asked for a show of hands of how many thought that all Muslims wanted everyone in the UK and America dead, and every single hand shot up. It's just disturbing that our twelve and thirteen year olds already have so much hate. I mean we talk about brain washing of children in to ISIS ideology, and that's horrendous, but we're managing to do the same thing to our own children.

Emy that is scary and horrifying. I am aware that there are many who think that way but I didn't realise it would be a full class and so young :nope:

I live in London, not far from Heathrow and as such we have a very diverse population. It would be interesting to see how the same question and following discussion went in a local school with children the same age.

Emy that is scary and horrifying. I am aware that there are many who think that way but I didn't realise it would be a full class and so young :nope:

I live in London, not far from Heathrow and as such we have a very diverse population. It would be interesting to see how the same question and following discussion went in a local school with children the same age.

I know, I had heard a news report with the statistics of how many young people have such negative views on Islam (the one I quoted) and I didn't believe it at all. I thought no way could so many people be so ignorant. And then a few months later I witnessed that and frankly felt a bit sick.

I would hope it wouldn't be at least as bad in a more multicultural area, but it's certainly not absent. That's evident by the 'clamp down' on Islamic practises, such as veiling, in many Western cities such as Paris and Montreal, because of the mistaken view that it somehow is supporting or at least linked to the ideologies of groups such as ISIS.

I agree Tasha. It's so unbelievable that so many of us could be so stupid as to think this way, but tragically so many do. Isn't like 60% of young white British people think that all Muslims are dangerous and want to harm people. And I sat in on a year 8 class about six months ago. They were learning about Islam. I swear down about half of the class (in Kendal, so a very white and Christian area) started shouting about how we should kill them all and getting really passionate about it. Then the teacher asked for a show of hands of how many thought that all Muslims wanted everyone in the UK and America dead, and every single hand shot up. It's just disturbing that our twelve and thirteen year olds already have so much hate. I mean we talk about brain washing of children in to ISIS ideology, and that's horrendous, but we're managing to do the same thing to our own children.

That is really disturbing :nope:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->