Isofix Car Seat Bases - worth the extra money?

Meels-Spot

Reaction score
Hi ladies

I have decided on my travel system but I am still contemplating getting an Isofix base for the car seat, they are fixed into the car and enable you can just clip the car seat in and out of the car easily without using the car seat belts.

But as they are a pretty expensive 'add-on' I just wondered what people thought of them?

Any experiences?

If you car has the isofix points on it then definetely get a car seat that has these as the seats fit in much more securly than just using the seat belt only. A lot of cars don't have them yet, so check with your car's handbook. If my car had them i would definetely be getting one.

I have been thinking exactly the same thing too, I want one for the car seat but my OH is quite against it and says its just an added expense that we dont need :(

I never had one of these with my others, the car seat are really secure without them as long as they are strapped in right, which can be tricky until you get the knack, we have 3 kids and my hubby still cant put a car seat in the car!!!:dohh:

I didn't have one last time and don't think i'll bother this time. We've got the maxi cosi car seat and the base is almost the same price. I know isofix is the safest but using a seat belt is still safe and it only takes minutes when you get used to it.

I'm sorry in advanced if this sounds harsh, but i can't believe that you guys are worrying about a bit of extra cash stopping you from getting the safest car seat around. In crash tests babies don't do very well in traditional car seats just locked in with a seat belt because they move around too much and can get thrown away from the seat belt all together. I would love to be able to get an isofix car seat so my baby has the safest possible car seat, but my car doesn't have it. I am going to trade my car in once i return from maternity leave and can afford it so that i can specifically have one. If you saw the difference between an isofix car seat in a car then i'm sure you would all agree. These bolt into the chasis of the car, that's how solid they are.

we have a noprmal car seat base less expensive and very handyxx

I'm sorry in advanced if this sounds harsh, but i can't believe that you guys are worrying about a bit of extra cash stopping you from getting the safest car seat around. In crash tests babies don't do very well in traditional car seats just locked in with a seat belt because they move around too much and can get thrown away from the seat belt all together. I would love to be able to get an isofix car seat so my baby has the safest possible car seat, but my car doesn't have it. I am going to trade my car in once i return from maternity leave and can afford it so that i can specifically have one. If you saw the difference between an isofix car seat in a car then i'm sure you would all agree. These bolt into the chasis of the car, that's how solid they are.

Its not us not wanting the best for our LO, Its simply not being able to afford one, its not a litlle extra cash really they are very expensive!!
If car seats wernt safe on their own they wouldnt sell them Separately.

Yeh i totally agree with nessa jane. I think Owo ur out of order saying we dont want the best for our babys just cos we arnt all getting isofix:( Some people simply cant afford it! They wouldnt sell them otherwise if they wernt safe with the belt!! My daughters was extremely sturdy and we had an accident where someone drove into us when she was 8wks old and she didnt even move!!!!

I don't mean to upset people it's just i feel really strongly about it. They have to sell the old style seats as so many cars don't have isofix yet. I'm sure the day will come when this is all that is available. Like all new cars have airbags and seat belts in the back. Safety improves all the time and the older style gets phased out. I'm not going to say anymore as i don't want to upset people, i genuinly don't want to upset you guys. As i said i feel that one area that shouldn't be skimped on it safety.

I don't mean to upset people it's just i feel really strongly about it. They have to sell the old style seats as so many cars don't have isofix yet. I'm sure the day will come when this is all that is available. Like all new cars have airbags and seat belts in the back. Safety improves all the time and the older style gets phased out. I'm not going to say anymore as i don't want to upset people, i genuinly don't want to upset you guys. As i said i feel that one area that shouldn't be skimped on it safety.

Im not SKIMPING on safety! I am just not lucky enough to be able to afford Isofix! The funny thing is when i was a baby they never had seatbelts fitted let alone carseats and was i ever injured NO! My LO will have a brand new seat correctly fitted to ensure its safe!

All car seats are great , otherwise they would only sell the isofix.
I looked at it and said bugger off when i saw it in a catalouge. been proven as be safest but so are the cheaper ones to.
Very expensive and owo - wow i cant believe your going to get a new car just to be able to have this car seat!

Meels pot i think its very expensive if you have the money go for it but dont struggle paying for it , all car seats are just as good :)

I'm really sorry if i upset you. I was just giving my opinion. I work in the car industry and have seen crash tests done on both. I guess this is why i feel so strongly. But you guys have to do what you think is best. I don't think the old style aren't safe i just think the isofix are safer.

when i went looking at car seats in mothercare a few weeks back we had a member of staff put the maxi cosi car seat in our car to see if it fitted, not once did they even mention the isofix, i only came across it after seeing it a few weeks later, surely if they were so much safer than seat belts it would be drummed into out heads as a 'must' to buy?

Thanks for your thoughts, I think I prob will get one if I can spare the cash as the car I am getting has the Isofix system. My current car has to go being a 2 seater MGF convertible, not very baby friendly! I like the idea of being able to just clip and go and not having to lean over the seat and mess about with the seat belt.

when i went looking at car seats in mothercare a few weeks back we had a member of staff put the maxi cosi car seat in our car to see if it fitted, not once did they even mention the isofix, i only came across it after seeing it a few weeks later, surely if they were so much safer than seat belts it would be drummed into out heads as a 'must' to buy?

Hi Nessajane, in my experience from the times I have been into Mothercare (2 different stores, one of them a big superstore) all the staff seem pretty uninterested and not very knowledgeable about their products! I am sure this isn't the case for everyone that works in Mothercare, but whenever I have asked for help or advice or even if they just stock something I usually just get a blank face! So what I'm trying to say is I'm not surprised they didn't try to push the Isofix base if it wasn't mentioned by yourselves.........

What exactly is an isofix? We have our travel system which also came with a car seat - this can be directly seat-belted into the car, or can clip into a base which is sold seperately. We are going to buy the base for safety and so we don't have to keep undoing and doing up the seatbelt every time. Is an Isofix something completely different?

What exactly is an isofix? We have our travel system which also came with a car seat - this can be directly seat-belted into the car, or can clip into a base which is sold seperately. We are going to buy the base for safety and so we don't have to keep undoing and doing up the seatbelt every time. Is an Isofix something completely different?

isofix is the base hun

Hmmm i think i would buy one if i could afford one and it went in out cars, but it doesnt :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->