Isofix Car Seat Bases - worth the extra money?

I'm not getting one. I can't justify spending the extra money on it when we don't even have a car. It would only be used in my mums car :\

What exactly is an isofix? We have our travel system which also came with a car seat - this can be directly seat-belted into the car, or can clip into a base which is sold seperately. We are going to buy the base for safety and so we don't have to keep undoing and doing up the seatbelt every time. Is an Isofix something completely different?

isofix is the base hun

Isofix is an across the board type of base - many newer cars will have the Isofix anchorage system manufactured into the car already (you probably wouldn't even know about it without checking). Have just checked and according to the Mothercare website ALL cars manufactured from Feb 2006 will have Isofix points as standard.

There are also other types of similar car seat bases available that are not Isofix, eg Maxi-Cosi do their own similar base called 'Easyfix', so you could put a Maxi-Cosi car seat on on Isofix base, an Easyfix base or just use the seat belts, confusing eh?!

I think ill stick with the bus.
The car is only a weekend privilege for me anyway as my hubby goes to work in it and i cant drive, plus its only a 5 seater and we'll soon be a family of 6.

We bought the isofix base, cost about £90 which i thought was reasonable, plus im due in Oct and i want to be able to get car seat in car and door shut as quickly as possible without baby getting cold and wet if the weather is bad. Im just not patient enough to fiddle with the seat belt !
Each to their own but i recomend them. xxxx

I'm really sorry if i upset you. I was just giving my opinion. I work in the car industry and have seen crash tests done on both. I guess this is why i feel so strongly. But you guys have to do what you think is best. I don't think the old style aren't safe i just think the isofix are safer.

By any chance are you in sales? :rofl::rofl:

I'm really sorry if i upset you. I was just giving my opinion. I work in the car industry and have seen crash tests done on both. I guess this is why i feel so strongly. But you guys have to do what you think is best. I don't think the old style aren't safe i just think the isofix are safer.

By any chance are you in sales? :rofl::rofl:

No I.T. But i was wondering if anyone would ask that. Sorry i was a bit hormonal this morning

we have got the surefix base as comes with package

We got a 20% discount on our britax travel system and the isofix base had the discount too so MIL bought us both, it was cheaper than the travel system would've been anyway. Aside from the safety issue, it is sooooooo much easier to attach the seat to the base than to fanny about with the seatbelt. But I don't think we'd have been able to find the money if we were buying it ourselves.

we'd prob get one if the car was compatible, but its not. and we cant afford a new car. or an old car. haha.

the base for my car seat is like £50 ... luckily we borrowed OH's brothers one!!

For me they are both safe but with the car seat its alot quicker in putting the car seat in and out!!

Without it the seatbelt goes over the baby... with it it goes round... so we can leave the car seat in ready :)

but doubt we would have paid out if we hadnt been lucky enough to borrow one :)

I am taking a free course on car seats put on by our health region this month.
That's how confused I am by all the various options and safety regs and bells and whistles.
I actually need a lesson from professionals! Pathetic, eh?
starts weeping in confusion

Iv got the isofix base for my mamas and papas carseat.. We tryed the normal base and the isofix in our car and because we have a 3door car the isofix is so much easier so i dont have to climb right into the back to pull the seatbelt right round the carseat.

If you have a car with the isofix points i would say get one.

I have the maxi-cosi car seat with the isofix base, i would say if you can afford it then definitely get one. So much easier and a lot safer, but they are quite pricey around £100 i think...?

I have the maxi-cosi car seat with the isofix base, i would say if you can afford it then definitely get one. So much easier and a lot safer, but they are quite pricey around £100 i think...?

This is the one I'm interested in - it had an excellent safety and consumer rating. But what if you have an older car that is not listed on the Maxi Cosi compatibility list? Does that mean you can't use the Maxi Cosi car seat at all?
I am really confused about this isofix thing. I tried to look it up, but it didn't help much.
The infant detachable car seats that snap into a base are NOT isofix? This is something new and different?
I'm very confused.
The ones I've seen have a base that stays in the car. I believe it is secured into the seat belt? Then you click the carry seat in and out of that base.
Is this the same as isofix?
Or is isofix something different? Any clarity on this issue would be much appreciated. I'm feeling dumber and dumber as I try to figure this out. It's probably very simple and I'm just not getting it.:blush:

i have brought one, wouldnt not - just for safety and ease of getting the seat in and out. have you thought about ebay??? one of our cars doesnt have isofix so we brought the sure fix again, safer and easier to get in and out. we managed to pick that up for £20? ebay does have them, kep your eyes open... maybe ask someone for an early chrissie pressie. my mum is buying the mattress for the cot for us for christmas - but we are having it early.

just an idea, hope i dont offend anyone

It's all completely different over here in New Zealand! All our carseats with NZ/ Aust safety standards have to be bolted in with a huge bloomin steel bolt. We don't have isofix over here, so not an issue. We are hiring our capsule/ base because we don't want to buy a new one for only getting 6 mths of use out it. We will buy a new carseat though. I wouldn't pay for an isofix base if it costs the same amount as the actual carseat!! I used to work in a baby speciality store and the safest thing you can do for your baby while travelling in a car is to ensure you know how to correctly install the carseat and strap in properly, as there are many parents out there who don't and that's a huge risk (much bigger than not having an isofix!!?) So to you ladies that can't afford it - don't worry!! Good luck with choosing your car seat - isn't it a confusing task!?!

It's all completely different over here in New Zealand! All our carseats with NZ/ Aust safety standards have to be bolted in with a huge bloomin steel bolt. We don't have isofix over here, so not an issue. We are hiring our capsule/ base because we don't want to buy a new one for only getting 6 mths of use out it. We will buy a new carseat though. I wouldn't pay for an isofix base if it costs the same amount as the actual carseat!! I used to work in a baby speciality store and the safest thing you can do for your baby while travelling in a car is to ensure you know how to correctly install the carseat and strap in properly, as there are many parents out there who don't and that's a huge risk (much bigger than not having an isofix!!?) So to you ladies that can't afford it - don't worry!! Good luck with choosing your car seat - isn't it a confusing task!?!

That's how we do it in Australia too...I have an all in one seat, from newborn - 5 years of age!

I have the Graco system with a base for the car seat and I love it. I wouldn't be without it. You just open the door and drop the seat on!! So easy and you don't have to mess about with the seat belt. Mine isn't Isofix but I will be using it. I'd recommend anyone get a seat with a base fixture!

This is the one I'm interested in - it had an excellent safety and consumer rating. But what if you have an older car that is not listed on the Maxi Cosi compatibility list? Does that mean you can't use the Maxi Cosi car seat at all?
I am really confused about this isofix thing. I tried to look it up, but it didn't help much.
The infant detachable car seats that snap into a base are NOT isofix? This is something new and different?
I'm very confused.
The ones I've seen have a base that stays in the car. I believe it is secured into the seat belt? Then you click the carry seat in and out of that base.
Is this the same as isofix?
Or is isofix something different? Any clarity on this issue would be much appreciated. I'm feeling dumber and dumber as I try to figure this out. It's probably very simple and I'm just not getting it.:blush:

I would say if your car is not listed on the maxi-cosi list then it most probably doesn't have isofix points. With this car seat there are 2 types of bases the ones that are isofix and fix directly to the car with some metal brackets/clips and the other one which is held in place with the seat belt (they pretty much look the same). It is still a base that the car seat clips in and out of, so if you don't have isofix points and want the ease of a permanent base in the car then go for this one, on the plus side i think they are slightly cheaper too.

If you go to Toys r us or any store that sells those products they should let you test it out in your car before you buy....

I hope that helps :D

I am a certified car seatr inspector as part of my job at Public Health. I'm not sure if standards are different according to regions but I know what they are here in Canada. As far as using a base...if you are looking for convenience use the base, it is a lot easier to just pop the seat in their and you don't have to worry about adjusting the seat everytime. There is more to putting a car seat in properly than just putting the seat in and putting the seat belt through the correct belt path. In order for it to be in safely and correctly, you need to literally get both knees in the seat to push it down and hercules the hell out of your seat belt( this is with or without a base) Whether you use a base or not, if your seat is installed properly it is equally safe. If you are worried about the seat not being tight enough, use a locking clip, they come with most seats. My best piece of advice is to READ BOTH THE CAR SEAT MENUAL AND YOUR VEHICLE MANUAL.You need to know all kinds of details...for instance what kind of latchplate is on your seat belts or what kind of seat belt you have (there are 3 kinds). Also send in your warranty card, that way if there is a recall they will send you a notice or the appropriate equipment to fix the problem. There are also free DVDs out there that do step by step how to install your seat. www.safekidscanada.ca

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->